Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No ML'ing and shotgunnig?

30pointbuck

Just wondering what the thinking is as to why you can't early ML anymore and go antlerles shotgunning. But at the same time you could get as many doe tags ML'ing or shotgunning. Not understanding that.

I think mainly because early muzzleloader has a quota of 7500. The people who want early muzz will be able to get a tag versus fight with the guys who are going gun hunting and party hunting for bucks. I know it always seemed like a rat race to get your early muzz tag. I think they are trying to limit that. Late muzz has no quota so anyone who wants to hunt can get a tag.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Here is what I don't like about it.... now I have a major investment in muzzleloader equipment that I can't use. (Not a late ML hunter either). I understand that they are attempting to lower the number of bucks taken, but realisticly I would be interested to know the number of ML/ Shotgunners that shoot two in a year. Then, you factor in, how many shotgun party hunters shoot multiple bucks during SG season, what's really the diff. This doesn't make it impossible to do both anyway. Now you merely have to get your ML tag in your wife or uncle or mother in law's, etc. name. You know the old saying...It's only wrong if you get caught, AND SOME WILL.
So, for me it was a hard decision, but the comarodery of shotgunning overtook me and I will do more bowhunting in October than usual. I guess it's just the fun of being out that counts, ya?

From what I have gathered, the DNR would have liked to drop the county antlerless quotas, but met huge opposition from the Gov's office in doing this. They needed to be creative in how they could protect the herd without a drop in antlerless tags. A tool that they had more control over was altering seasons/regulations. This is why the Jan antlerless went away in some NE IA counties: easier to do away with the season than change the quota. I would guess it is also behind the decision on early ML'ers not being able to hunt on doe tags during shotgun.

30 Point, use your ML gear during shotgun? I know a few gys that do that. and ya, getting your tag in someone else's name may only be wrong if you get caught, unless you have any kind of ethics.

thats what im doing this year, 1st shotgun doe and late muzzy...(and definatly bow)

Here is what I don't like about it.... now I have a major investment in muzzleloader equipment that I can't use. (Not a late ML hunter either). I understand that they are attempting to lower the number of bucks taken, but realisticly I would be interested to know the number of ML/ Shotgunners that shoot two in a year. Then, you factor in, how many shotgun party hunters shoot multiple bucks during SG season, what's really the diff. This doesn't make it impossible to do both anyway. Now you merely have to get your ML tag in your wife or uncle or mother in law's, etc. name. You know the old saying...It's only wrong if you get caught, AND SOME WILL.
So, for me it was a hard decision, but the comarodery of shotgunning overtook me and I will do more bowhunting in October than usual. I guess it's just the fun of being out that counts, ya?

What about the guys that have no interest in shotgun hunting or don't have land to shotgun hunt. They are only interested in Early Muzzleloader. Then you have a bunch of guys that were using the loophole and buying up all the Early Muzz tags. Makes it hard for those guys to hunt period especially if they don't bowhunt.

Yeah sure we all want to be out there as much as possible chasing that big buck but imo there's plenty of seasons available to hunt. And yes I bowhunt, late muzzy hunt, and shotgun hunt for now.

I would ML hunt 10 to 1 over shotgun, but I also grew up driving deer during shotgun season, and still love to do so.

So my solution would be as follows. Hunt shotgun with your group; if you're posting or sitting in a stand/blind, use your ML. If you're one of the drivers, take your shotgun for close quarters shooting. I've done this for several years; volunteer to walk on almost every drive, and seldom fire a shot. I just enjoy being a part of the group and helping other guys get their deer...knowing during the ML season I'll have my chance to sit in a stand/blind and look over the herd :way:

NWBuck

NWBuck said:
I would ML hunt 10 to 1 over shotgun, but I also grew up driving deer during shotgun season, and still love to do so.

So my solution would be as follows. Hunt shotgun with your group; if you're posting or sitting in a stand/blind, use your ML. If you're one of the drivers, take your shotgun for close quarters shooting. I've done this for several years; volunteer to walk on almost every drive, and seldom fire a shot. I just enjoy being a part of the group and helping other guys get their deer...knowing during the ML season I'll have my chance to sit in a stand/blind and look over the herd :way:

NWBuck

This is what I do also. :way:

As long as there are anterless tags available for the county you hunt you can buy anterless tag for 1st or 2nd and then buy a late any sex muzzy tag.

wapsiguy said:
As long as there are anterless tags available for the county you hunt you can buy anterless tag for 1st or 2nd and then buy a late any sex muzzy tag.

So the loophole they closed for the early season still exists for the late season? Interesting.

So the loophole they closed for the early season still exists for the late season? Interesting.

The reason is because there is only 7500 tags for early muzzleloader. There is unlimited for late muzzleloader. I believe they did this to try to give the people who actually wanted early muzz and nothing else a chance to do so.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I don't know very many kids that do what I do. I buy a landowner Youth, Reg Youth, Reg Bow, Reg Shotgun, and a $2 Landowner Doe. Filled the freezer last year. Folks, that's 4 any-sex tags do I could take 4 bucks. I'm slightly curious on why they have it that way. Maybe because most youth don't get anything?

Edit: My point is, I can hunt 3 bucks during Shotgun if I go on our land. Or 3 Bucks during early or late Mzloader.

Top Bottom