Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No sheds but plenty of coyotes

cjgarrett

With our unusual snow filled year here in KS the shed hunting has come to a stand still. We have been getting snow almost every 3 days for the last 2 weeks. We probably have 15 inches of snow on the ground now and it is snowing as i type this... I haven't walked for sheds in 10 days and my dog and i are both getting anxious! It should be really good once the snow melts, but i do not like the waiting game. So rather than sitting around i have been focusing my efforts on the coyotes! I have definitely had my best year of calling coyotes hands down. I just shot a pair of them last night which were #7 and #8 since i started calling in January. Here are a couple pictures.

The first pic is the 2 i killed the day i found my big set of sheds.
picture.php

I went out west to call with a buddy and killed these four.

picture.php

He killed 2 and i killed two

picture.php

Last night i took a buddy of mine out that had never called for predators. I gave him first shot at this pair. He missed at 60 yards and then his gun jammed. So i put the AR to work!

picture.php

I plan on getting back out tomorrow a.m. I am hoping to kill a dozen before it greens up, wish me luck!

Nice work.. Are you finding these are coming in to certain calls better than others? Mornings or evenings better? Havent had much luck seeing anything this year. What are you using to call?

Nice work.. Are you finding these are coming in to certain calls better than others? Mornings or evenings better? Havent had much luck seeing anything this year. What are you using to call?

I have a Fox Pro FX-3. I was in the same situation as you last year. I went out this year with a buddy of mine that predator hunts a lot. He showed me a sequence and it has really helped my odds. I start out with "baby cottontail" for about 2-3 minutes. I adjust the volume and pretty often to make it seem as if the rabbit is moving around. I then take a 2 minute break, after that i play a distressed adult cottontail. This is a louder more frantic call. I let that play for a few minutes and then take another break. After a the break i go back to the baby cottontail. They seem to come in right after the second break. If i dont see anything after 15 minutes or so. I turn the call on the "pups in distress." I have shot 3 of my 8 off of pups in distress.

And honestly i dont think it matters morning / evening. I think its all about the moon. The day we killed those 4 out west we actually called in 9. 4 of them came in together and that was at 11am. But the moon was out most of the day and they were really reacting to the call. The temps were in the mid 40's too, so a little warmer than most guys like.

Well i went out this morning and called for a couple guys. No coyotes but we had a good time! Anyone else get out to call this weekend?

Top Bottom