Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

no tag for non-resident land owner

It is interesting how hunting traditions differ from state to state. I am from MI, and the general hunting tactic is to sit and ambush. True Iowa landscape has somehting to do with the popularity of drives, but southern MI has similar farmland areas. Some southern States can still use dogs, I think. Personally I don't care for the scare em, and mow em down, way of hunting, but if the general pop is not hurt by this way, to each his or her own. The same can be said for other hunting tactics, prefered by some but that would open a whole other can of worms, and many have been opened before, so I will not go there.

I was saying that I have no plans on stopping the Iowa gun hunting tradition whether it be sit in a stand or run wild as long as they respect my property while they are on it. I lease a piece 10 miles from my land and have had two trail cameras stolen. I was called by a guy that was tracking a wounded deer and walked past my camera. He called to let me know why he was there. I thanked him and confirmed with a picture that he was there on that day. I respect him. If I catch the person who stole my two cameras it may get interesting. We all work too hard for our money to have people walk off with $300 to $500 dollar cameras. I had a Moutrie Camera with a note on the front to please steal but do you think anyone would take that. By the way what does this have to do with the unsuccessfull NR draw?

I would like to know one thing.
If, we Iowans and our officials, don't know how to manage the deer herd, why the hell does anyone want to come here?
Apparently something is being done correctly, and we don't need advise from "arm chair quarterbacks"!

It's the same BS every year, I paid $500,000.00 for my land I should be able to shoot what ever the hell I please.

Grow up, if you had half a brain you knew going into all of this it wasn't going to happen.

Next thing you know you jackass's will tell us how to grow corn!!!

I got an idea. Let's buy land in Iowa then bitch about not getting a tag, deer drives, trespassers, and stolen cameras.

You must really be regreting your purchase.
confused.gif

Deer drives have been around forever. And everybody, everywhere has to deal with trespassers and thieves. You're not the only one.

By the way if you drew a tag this year I hope you have a great hunt.

[ QUOTE ]

Next thing you know you jackass's will tell us how to grow corn!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first you have to have land, and then........
grin.gif

I personally think everyone should sell their recreation land in Iowa to the DNR and buy up all the land in Canada, cuz that's where the truly monster bucks are - just ask Saskguy
grin.gif

Thanks THA4! I needed that.
Best chuckle i've had in a while.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

If you see it move, kick it one more time
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

I love Iowa and all the deer hunting opportunities it offers. I am just looking at things at different ways and thinking of the future of our sport. I am a land owner and I have all the problems that come with it. I have had stands stolen and tresspassers as well. I know this happens everywhere. It is upsetting when people express their opinions on this site and they are ridiculed and the name calling starts. We have to remember we are all on the same team. The enemy is the anti hunters and the people who want to take away our rights to own guns, not each other. We need to listen, express our views and find out what is best for us all. If we don't like our neighbor for posting his land we should not let fellow hunters steal his equiptment. One of the things that makes me think we should increase non resident tags is that many kids are turned away from hunting with their parents. A true fact is our sport is dying. This is a undisputable fact. More kids today are not interested in the outdoors, and much rather play in front of a computer than go deer hunting. An opportunity to hunt should be there for non residents as well. We will see an even more drastic decline of deer hunters in the next 20 years. With no exposure to hunting and lack of opportunity to the sport will be it's final downfall. With this generation and their lack of interest the chances of their kids being interested is slim. Protecting your land and keeping the non residents out is not the answer. I am looking at the future and trying to be a realist. Land values have increased everywhere in the country and not just for reasons of deer hunting. Our economy is good and people invest. Trying to stop or slow land values in Iowa will not work. It will hurt the people of Iowa as well. What we are doing is not letting Iowa land owners see their land values increase with the rest of the country. Why hurt them because we want to hunt? I personally could care less because I will never sell mine. I say invite them to hunt but if you don't want them on your land don't let them. They could hunt state land or pay an outfitter to hunt for a week. Most of these non residents fly into Iowa for 5 days spend a lot of money and leave. One week is no big deal. These outfitters have kids and bills just like us all and everyone deserves to make a few dollars. Our local economies could use some visitors as well. I try to introduce every young person I can into the outdoors I can. We all should, it is our legacy as hunters. I believe it is the right thing. If people disagree that is fine, we are all entitled to our opinion, please keep the profanity/sarcasm to a minimum.

[ QUOTE ]
I personally think everyone should sell their recreation land in Iowa to the DNR and buy up all the land in Canada

[/ QUOTE ]

Already happening.............not U.S residents buying it up, b/c they can only own 10 acres in Canada but residents mostly of Alberta buying up land in Saskatchewan. At leadst 75% of land that has sold withing my Rural Municipality in the past year has sold to people from Alberta. The glory days of hunitng in Saskatchewan are here right now, within 20 years the glory days will be over for regular Joes like me......Alberta is more like the U.S as outfitters operate on private land leading to leasing etc.....you guys know the drill. The resulting spinoff has been more and more guys out of Alberta buying land here b/c it is affordable and they can hunt it without any hitches, over the counter tag etc.. I don't begrudge them, I'd do the same thing if I could.

However, we cannot just stroll across the border into Alb. to hunt, we can buy the tag but we need a person to be our "host", a resident guide to speak. I truly believe if I cannot go there without having a friend host me, they should not be able to come here without the same rules.

As for U.S residents............let them all come. They bring a lot of $$$ into our local economies,and they are forced to use outfitter services which operate on Public Land and none of the few thousand of them that come every year take any land away from and regular Joe Public.
I'll tell you what............if I were one of the fellows crying the blues over owning land in iowa and not being able to hunt it every year, I'd have a simple solution....................sell that land for the crazy amount of $$$ you guys are getting for recreational land down there and go on one, maybe 2 fully guided and outfitted hunts a year wherever you wanted. Boy, if I owned a 1/4 section down there and hated not getting drawn I'd gladly take my $3000 an acre or whatever you guys are getting, spend a week in Sask, a week in Alb, a week in Man, a week in Kansas, a week in Alaska....wherever...etc every year. Sheesh............

Thecreeddeer, I appreciate your comments, and the way you worded it. I almost always stay out of these 'discussions', because of the rhetoric, and how heated they get. I felt I needed to chime in, because the one thing I think you need to factor in is the public land that is (and isn't) available to Iowa hunters. If I remember correctly, Iowa only has 1% of it's land available to public hunting. I'm quite okay with a reasonable number of NR hunters coming here to hunt. However, by opening it up beyond that, the outfitter business explodes, land leasing and NR ownership increases greatly, and Iowa hunters get squeezed into smaller and smaller available hunting tracts (check out Illinois). I hope to be a landowner in the next 5-7 years. It's a different perspective when you know you have a place to go and you won't get bumped out. So, to summarize, I'll say what most Iowa hunters have already expressed - non-resident hunters in fair numbers are a great thing, but please keep the Iowa hunters at the top of the priority list.

[ QUOTE ]
1% of it's land available to public hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep and they say less than 1/3 of Iowa is timbered. Wouldn't take long for the best hunting areas to disappear.
A lot of people don't consider the other major issues in the game.

Comments like that are the reason I usually stay away from these topics. Disagree - but don't attack and name-call.

I love hunting in MICHIGAN , OHIO, my son does NOT have to pay Non-resident fee, and IOWA, see ya in the WINTER !!! TO QUOTE MY BEST FRIEND TEDDY NUGE "ITS ALL RIGHT LETS GO HUNTIN BABY !! "

[ QUOTE ]
With no exposure to hunting and lack of opportunity to the sport will be it's final downfall. With this generation and their lack of interest the chances of their kids being interested is slim. Protecting your land and keeping the non residents out is not the answer. I am looking at the future and trying to be a realist.

[/ QUOTE ]

So who should be the ones to have the best opportunity to hunt in Iowa? The resident kids who might have a chance to get out every weekend during the school year, or the non resident kids who might be lucky to hunt our State once or twice during the school year?

I've been reading this all very carefully and I do believe that this horse died on the first page of replies. Keep on beatin' though, beat it real nice and good.

Palmated

You disagree and that is fine. The fact you call me a retard for expressing my opinion is disgusting. I guess you never spent time with the mentally ill. I have donated my time at hospitals and charity events for these groups. I wish we could penalize people who react as you do. Please don't respond to this post as I already know how you feel.

thecreedeer,
Sorry for the name calling, and yes I have worked with the mentally ill. I have two neighbor kids who are autistic and mentally challenged. Poor choice of words on my part. Although I choose the wrong words. Answer the question I asked. Have you ever taken a kid hunting who wasn't your own? That is how you keep hunting alive and well.

Top Bottom