Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No till drill, planting & details - video

That was a very good video, Skip. I have a general question about drills for the group. There are some things I would never buy used. Too many chances to buy a lemon and not know it until it is too late. There are some things I would never buy new, because used ones are much cheaper and are easy to repair / hard for the previous owner to mess up. Where do drills fall on this spectrum for you? New prices are pretty high for most guys. Do you need a degree in mechanical engineering to maintain / repair them? If you bought a used one with plenty of miles, is it reasonable to expect you can put many more on it? I often have to look at / buy things online through auctions due to time and distance. I have a hard time pulling the trigger on something with so many moving parts sight unseen. Is it reasonable to assume that a guy with some general mechanical skills could overcome most of the issues he might face on one of these machines? I would love to have one, but I have never really been around them.

That was a very good video, Skip. I have a general question about drills for the group. There are some things I would never buy used. Too many chances to buy a lemon and not know it until it is too late. There are some things I would never buy new, because used ones are much cheaper and are easy to repair / hard for the previous owner to mess up. Where do drills fall on this spectrum for you? New prices are pretty high for most guys. Do you need a degree in mechanical engineering to maintain / repair them? If you bought a used one with plenty of miles, is it reasonable to expect you can put many more on it? I often have to look at / buy things online through auctions due to time and distance. I have a hard time pulling the trigger on something with so many moving parts sight unseen. Is it reasonable to assume that a guy with some general mechanical skills could overcome most of the issues he might face on one of these machines? I would love to have one, but I have never really been around them.
Really good ?!!!!!!!
1) they are not complex. A planter is much harder to work on. Drills are for sure more basic…. Chain drive system that just meters seed out as u go. Few big metal boxes, some tubes, etc. Changing clutches, chains, bearings & OPENERS is main things & it’s pretty rare I’m ever doing it. Every couple thousand acres maybe. It’s easy & not that expensive Labor is most because there’s so many more rows (7.5” spacing vs a 30” planter)…..
2) being that they are pretty basic - a used Great Plains wouldn’t spook me a bit. Even the worst repairs- not bad at all. They are basic. But the guts of a GP drill are just so much heavier built - why I wouldn’t be afraid of used one. I got a couple other brands used- never again. GP- I’d be just fine with it.
3) so say someone is a “medium size” plotter…. Even a 6’ drill be fine. & a used one…. Not bad. If u own land & gonna do plots forever & want equipment to last- I’d get one. If u aren’t it & maybe not a lot of acres- I’d hire it out or buy cheap stuff. Or heck - guys on a budget- go buy an old minimal till drill with 2 boxes. Lots of options. IMHO- the rotary tillers & the aggressive tillage for years - yikers…. Over time the soil will get worse & worse & failures will be more prevalent and take all the tillage tools - the value- coulda just bought a drill in many cases. Controversial & I’ll upset a few of my friends but rotary tillers should be sold for scrap & destroyed. ;).
Skip-
I that doubletree mix planted or something different?
Dbltree mix with some slight tweaks.

Really good ?!!!!!!!
1) they are not complex. A planter is much harder to work on. Drills are for sure more basic…. Chain drive system that just meters seed out as u go. Few big metal boxes, some tubes, etc. Changing clutches, chains, bearings & OPENERS is main things & it’s pretty rare I’m ever doing it. Every couple thousand acres maybe. It’s easy & not that expensive Labor is most because there’s so many more rows (7.5” spacing vs a 30” planter)…..
2) being that they are pretty basic - a used Great Plains wouldn’t spook me a bit. Even the worst repairs- not bad at all. They are basic. But the guts of a GP drill are just so much heavier built - why I wouldn’t be afraid of used one. I got a couple other brands used- never again. GP- I’d be just fine with it.
3) so say someone is a “medium size” plotter…. Even a 6’ drill be fine. & a used one…. Not bad. If u own land & gonna do plots forever & want equipment to last- I’d get one. If u aren’t it & maybe not a lot of acres- I’d hire it out or buy cheap stuff. Or heck - guys on a budget- go buy an old minimal till drill with 2 boxes. Lots of options. IMHO- the rotary tillers & the aggressive tillage for years - yikers…. Over time the soil will get worse & worse & failures will be more prevalent and take all the tillage tools - the value- coulda just bought a drill in many cases. Controversial & I’ll upset a few of my friends but rotary tillers should be sold for scrap & destroyed. ;).

Dbltree mix with some slight tweaks.
Sold! I rebuilt a corn planter from the ground up, so looks like I'll have to go ahead and jump in on this! Haha!

Hopefully some of this helps some folks. Tried to hit the most common ?’s or thoughts around no till. Drills, why, how, what to plant, etc etc etc. FYI.

Well done, Skip! You made some excellent points on soil health. I started with 2.8% organic matter on a soil health project on May 1st of this year, and will be monitoring it. Good stuff!

Top Bottom