Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non- recorded RECORD BOOK BUCKS

boone young said:
LOL
why would a 188 need a panel? nobody gets interrogated thats rediculous. B&C and P&Y are the same system both are hunter friendly. I think this is just another post making up a story and disliking something they know nothing about.

Not true Boone. Both organizations are very dependent on the SCORER for your experience. I've had a very well respected scorer in my area turn me off. He refused to score my deer unless I entered them, even though I agreed to pay the fee per deer to him. He talked down to me and was very rude upon hearing my decision not to enter.

BTW do you agree is the treatment of the recent typical that B&C measured and the decision they made regarding not allowing it to become the new record?

What about the reclassification of the NT buck from last year that also removed the hunter record from it?

2 big decisions and the circumstances around how and why those decisions we made.

Not true Boone. Both organizations are very dependent on the SCORER for your experience. I've had a very well respected scorer in my area turn me off. He refused to score my deer unless I entered them, even though I agreed to pay the fee per deer to him. He talked down to me and was very rude upon hearing my decision not to enter.

BTW do you agree is the treatment of the recent typical that B&C measured and the decision they made regarding not allowing it to become the new record?

What about the reclassification of the NT buck from last year that also removed the hunter record from it?

2 big decisions and the circumstances around how and why those decisions we made.
I've seen where several scorers will get together and score a rack when there are some tough calls on a rack that become somewhat a judgement call. But a 188 would not have to be panel scored.

Last edited:
I know of a landowner who is offering up his land to closed bidding because of an original offer from hunters from out of state who found out the guy hunting one parcel of his land has shot 5 deer over 160, (largest was 203) in the past 5 years. Loose lips sink ships.

The guy who was hunting this land lost it to these hunters this year because of a higher lease offer. The leasee was this hunter's cousin. Money talks everything else walks.

I hope the new hunters don't figure out how to hunt that parcel and they kick the deer over to me.;)

All scorers are volunteers we can't accept money to score a rack, we'd rather you enter the animal rather than offer us money, we can't take. If you have an obvious deer that qualifies for the book and you say you don't want to enter it, but just want the score, why should the measurer score it for you if your not going to enter it. Another reason for not scoring it is some guys just want the official score so they can put a price on it and sell it. I'd score it but i would'nt give you a score sheet...unless it was entered.

If your refering the King buck, the point in question was definatly a non typ point IMO and king was told that years ago, it just so happened Fish, an antler buyer/dealer made a ruckus to try to make it a worlds record so HE could make a ton of money and at minimum get back some of the 70k he paid for it..

not sure what deer your talking about here.

boone young said:
All scorers are volunteers we can't accept money to score a rack, we'd rather you enter the animal rather than offer us money, we can't take. If you have an obvious deer that qualifies for the book and you say you don't want to enter it, but just want the score, why should the measurer score it for you if your not going to enter it. Another reason for not scoring it is some guys just want the official score so they can put a price on it and sell it. I'd score it but i would'nt give you a score sheet...unless it was entered.

not sure what deer your talking about here.

If I remember correctly a new packet must be used to score a deer and I offered to pay for the packets at 25 per deer.

I'm not sure why someone gets so bent out of shape about scoring a deer. I'm in Indiana, selling racks isn't exactly big business over here like it might be in Iowa.

As for not giving out a score sheet, I keep all of mine in a binder with my other harvest information. It's interesting to compare deer from years past.

Yes I'm referring to the king buck. Seems to me that mr reneau made a error and tried to cover it up.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/deer-news/king-buck-exclusive-story-07

The other buck is the Beck buck who had his score change from NT hunter record to #2 recently. Maybe just a bad coincidence but the last two potential world records have had their scores changed.

I shot the state record Iowa typical back in 89' but never recorded it. It wouldn't stand up now, but would still be in the top 9.

I shot the state record Iowa typical back in 89' but never recorded it. It wouldn't stand up now, but would still be in the top 9.
Would be pretty cool to see a picture of that hog. Any way we can get a look at it? If not, I understand completely.

Like I said in an earlier post I have no problem scoring a rack and have entered several of my bigger ones. But, It seems as though the Iowa record book at least, doesn't get updated, or corrected on a very regular basis. For example, take a look at the number 1 typical shotgun Buck, its score is 225 1/8. Its been in that way for at least a year. I keep thinking its going to be corrected or were going to hear about a new world record, obviously not, but doesn't the DNR care about it enough to fix this. I also know of a Buck listed in the Nontypical bow kills that was poached. The guys were caught and fined, and lost hunting privleges a couple years ago, but this buck is still listed under the guys name. My guess is they don't want to spend the dollars to reprint perhaps, or it has very little priority.

Regarding the IOWA DNR big deer records.

I WAS involved in the situation you mentioned and have first hand info about it. PM me if you are interested . The records were created when MR> Lee Gladfelter was still alive. When he was killed in an auto accident while traveling to hunt deer in Missouri, the program went to hell and NOBODY in the Department has an interest in correcting the mistakes in the records. Money or lack of interest, take your pick. We spent a LOT of time making corrections in THEIR records. Mr. Gladfelter MADE the corrections while he was alive!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1st edition Iowa Trophy Deer record book printed in 1993, has a top shot gun typical of 200 2/8 shot in 1964 by Harold Dickman, and a 197 6/8 typical as the top archery deer shot in 1962 by Lloyd Goad. Sounds like a great deer and congrats on your trophy. There are several giant deer in that 1st edition record book that don't show up in the current record book. Wish they would get them all together on the same list.

Regarding the IOWA DNR big deer records.

I WAS involved in the situation you mentioned and have first hand info about it. PM me if you are interested . The records were created when MR> Lee Gladfelter was still alive. When he was killed in an auto accident while traveling to hunt deer in Missouri, the program went to hell and NOBODY in the Department has an interest in correcting the mistakes in the records. Money or lack of interest, take your pick. We spent a LOT of time making corrections in THEIR records. Mr. Gladfelter MADE the corrections while he was alive!!!!!!!!!!!
That's too bad, I thought it was probably something along those lines. I remember Lee Gladfelter. He scored one of my deer in the early 80's.

Top Bottom