Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non-Resident Party Hunting

If I was from IA I would happily trade a gun tag for 1000 acres of exclusive bowhunting. It'd be a no brainer for me. Then again I don't shotgun hunt either.

Of course, A, Im not from IA and B, no one would ever offer that if I was. But as long as Randy started stirring the pot I figured I could give it a churn. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

sorry to say this but i have a couple guys that i work with that buy doe tags and go to Iowa and party hunt...they shoot bucks too..makes me sick but i keep my mouth shut cuz one of them is my boss....i actually had a conversation with a warden this year when i was in Iowa and thought about dropping the dime but i cant lose my job and it was in different county than this warden worked in.....bummer

This post is sad. How about the resident hunter who gets a doe tag and tags along with the others in the party? I have done that now for the last few years. I just like to deer hunt. Late muzzy is my gun season but show me how to go 2nd season and early muzzy in addition to the 1st season that I just did and I'll be there. Rather than lynch those of us who take advantage of the opportunity (yes, it is a loop hole), resident or NR, you need to lynch the lawmakers that allow it. That is if you disagree with it. If you disagree with it, what have you personally done about it? And before you send the lynch mob after me now that I have confessed, you do not know my motives or that of the group I hunt with, which includes one former resident but now a NR. Most of you would applaud our efforts, motives, management practices and ethics. I'll work on putting something on the home page about that later. To the NR who takes advantage of this, good for you. I wish you luck. Don't like it, I highly recommend you join the IBA for starters and also get off of your seat and start lobbying against it.

Join the IBA here.

Sometimes you just got to close your eyes and let shotgun season pass. :)Without it, the lawmakers would be looking for other ways to reduce the herd.

Hey 150 I applaud you for being honest.

Seriously why is it okay for a resident to get a doe tag and party hunt with the boys and not the non residents. Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black (or so mething like that)
You have to remember the DNR removed the non resident antlerless bow tags and pushed them into the shotgun seasons. So what do the non residents do? Comply to the DNR rules change.
I would like to know how much REVENUE the DNR lost removing the anterless tags from the non resident archery hunters and trying to push them into the shotgun season. The way I understood it the non resident shotgun hunters weren't filling their quota's with the tag purchases already, so why would you push more into those seasons?
It still comes down to the same question- Do you really think any nonresident comes to Iowa just to shoot does? I know if I ever take a trip out west I'm not going to pack a cow elk out of the mountains- screw that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes you just got to close your eyes and let shotgun season pass. :)Without it, the lawmakers would be looking for other ways to reduce the herd. </div></div>

Good point but its getting beyond ridiculous. I found out my neighbor had 5 guys coming in from in Texas and only 2 had tags. The others were 'hoping' to use landowners or someone else's tag in the group. I called the CO and he promised to meet me and then to set up a good vantage point to check things over. He held true and eventually cited that group for 11 violations. Even took 2 of them to jail.Took all the guns and an ATV that they used to chase deer with loaded guns.
So it does pay to care and call things in. Maybe this should have been another thread.

Good stuff Captain /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif Sounds like they shoulda stayed home and hunted the King Ranch, mighta been cheaper......ahhh probably not. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat Cady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would like to know how much REVENUE the DNR lost removing the anterless tags from the non resident archery hunters and trying to push them into the shotgun season. The way I understood it the non resident shotgun hunters weren't filling their quota's with the tag purchases already, so why would you push more into those seasons? </div></div>

There were 242 Non Resident antlerless tags that went unsold in 26 counties last year. You really can't put a firm "money lost" number on them because of the reduced cost holiday season tags.

As far as taking them out of the bow season, maybe the guys at the DNR thought they could control poaching a little better by removing "temptation tags" and giving more "loop hole" tags.

The 'Bonker

Like most things there is a good and a bad side. Most of the bad has been covered so I'll touch on the good.

I hunt with a mixed group of close friends and family during the shotgun season, some are residents some are not. I only get doe tags along with the non-res's that don’t draw an any sex tag. We all hunt together and any one of the guys would gladly tag another’s deer, doe or buck. We fill the tags together and have a great time doing it. If one guy happens to harvest a couple good bucks everyone in the group is happy for the guy. That being said I don't remember a year when all the buck tags have been filled, so it’s not really an issue. Every-one just enjoys being out and hunting with close friends.

The party hunting "loop hole" is definitely abused by some and those people should be dealt with accordingly. To me it is a way to keep traditions and family ties together.

I was in WalMart last night, and there was a steady line at the sporting goods register. Wonder why so many shot gun hunters wait until the last minute to get their license?

Ah the politics of life.It all boils down to who benefits from what and how much.Just look at all the different views posted by some of the self proclaimed "purists" in the sporting world.It can be spun however you'd like wrong is wrong and in your conscious you know what your doing period.Just like a lie you can cover it with "reasons" why its o.k. but your only fooling yourself.
I'm pretty sure in the DNR's mind tagging a deer with your tag and a NR transporting is not acceptable.They very seldom have an open mind when it comes to "skirting" their rules.Thats why they have alot of leeway in enforcement.

once the deer is processed it does not need a tag.
besides that is what party hunting is if i hunted with a group of ten people i could shoot ten bucks and keep all ten racks as long as the other ten people put there tag on them.

So your telling me its o.k. for you to get 10 racks in one season with 10 other peoples name on them and the DNR is cool with that?
Come on man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buck,eyehunter16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So your telling me its o.k. for you to get 10 racks in one season with 10 other peoples name on them and the DNR is cool with that?
Come on man! </div></div>

Thats the ways of party hunting!

that is totally legal in Iowa. The DNR wont bat an eye if all "10" bucks are legal!

i dont particularly care for it, but thats why i dont participate in party hunting, to each their own!

LOL.With all the crap the DNR tries to say about breaking rules etc. etc. and they let blatant B.S. like that go.
The DNR Hunter safety instructor was very,very specific in our class how they are free to interpret laws in the job moreso than any other law enforcement and things like that don't constitute illegal transport or posession.

"RULES OF LIFE"
Don't worry about whats right or wrong,what the "rules" may be just do whatever you feel like you can get away with cuz' if you don't someone else will and you'll be SOL.

Some very interesting opinions on here, especially on how to profit from this loop-hole. The original group I posted about does not recieve any money from their NR friends. They are just that, friends and no one has a problem burning a buck tag for them. As for the party hunting, I was out this weekend with friends and we shot 14 does and 4 bucks with 11 guys. One guy shot 7, only had 1 tag so we give him alot of crap and tag his deer, nobody cares. We get permission from farmers that want does shot and if 5 deer come by and you shoot all 5 the general consesus would be nice job, your walking the rest of the week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buck,eyehunter16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> LOL.With all the crap the DNR tries to say about breaking rules etc. etc. and they let blatant B.S. like that go.
The DNR Hunter safety instructor was very,very specific in our class how they are free to interpret laws in the job moreso than any other law enforcement and things like that don't constitute illegal transport or posession.

"RULES OF LIFE"
Don't worry about whats right or wrong,what the "rules" may be just do whatever you feel like you can get away with cuz' if you don't someone else will and you'll be SOL.

</div></div>

Here is some light reading for you so you can be more familiar with "THE RULES"

http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/files/08huntingregs.pdf

I guess there is a certain level of morality in my world that says the Intention of the laws is the most important factor.Just because the law allows doesn't make it right and I thought that is the reason why the DNR has more freedom to interpret the laws.
I'm definately in favor of getting rid of the loopholes and make it simplier and enforce it.
There are alot of relationships with landowners that need to be repaired because of the poor character of some Deer hunters. Whether we like it or not its time to clean things up before it gets to the point that its beyond hope.

Top Bottom