Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

nontypical vs typical scoring question

Hawk32

PMA Member
Can someone tell me the how many inches it takes to be considered non typical. looked at both p&y and b&c and could not find it. Thanks

15 inches of abnormal points is the rule that P and Y uses. They use to go by whatever netted the animal higher, but recently they changed it.

If a buck has at least one abnormal point, Pope and Young permits it to be scored as either a typical or non-typical at the discretion of the hunter. Boone and Crockett requires 15 inches of abnormal antler in order to be scored as a non-typical.

Just out of curiosity, where are you finding this info. I looked some time ago and couldn't find anything from either organization.

If a anyone lives near central iowa you should attend this. It teaches you how to score and answers questions like this. I think a lot of people on this site could use the help.

ForumRunner_20131215_125621.jpg

Well I will do some research..I had not heard they went back to the 15. I will say this. When someone gives you the score of a nontypical many times it is simply the total inches of the rack. This is sort of a trend I have seen over the last decade or so. There is not an entry for this number on an official score sheet. So unless a nontyp has been officially measured take it with a grain of salt.

I get all my deer scored by an official scorer. (I am usually with in a couple of inches) The rule is 15 inches of abnormal point to make it a non typical. I have a buck that is in the books as a 156 4/8 inch typical, but it grosses 192 5/8. It has 11 inches of abnormal points so it didn't make the 15 inch minimum. It nets 178 4/8 as a non typical, but Pope and Young doesn't see it as a no typical.

I get all my deer scored by an official scorer. (I am usually with in a couple of inches) The rule is 15 inches of abnormal point to make it a non typical. I have a buck that is in the books as a 156 4/8 inch typical, but it grosses 192 5/8. It has 11 inches of abnormal points so it didn't make the 15 inch minimum. It nets 178 4/8 as a non typical, but Pope and Young doesn't see it as a no typical.

Sorry, but this deer does not net 178 4/8 as a non typical. At least, not the way I am seeing it. It needs the non symmetrical deductions taken from the gross score??? Helluva deer and it is a good example of why many do not like nets.

Well I will do some research..I had not heard they went back to the 15. I will say this. When someone gives you the score of a nontypical many times it is simply the total inches of the rack. This is sort of a trend I have seen over the last decade or so. There is not an entry for this number on an official score sheet. So unless a nontyp has been officially measured take it with a grain of salt.

I would like to see a gross non-typical score location on the sheet. It seems to me the gross score should carry all the inches rather than just the typical frame. With how it is set up, there is no place to show the TOTAL inches of a rack that carries any non-typical tines.

do any of you use the "BTR" scoring system from Buckmasters? I would have to think that is the best way to do it although I know it will never make any sort of record this way it just seems the most fair

Top Bottom