Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

nontypical vs typical scoring question

I would like to see a gross non-typical score location on the sheet. It seems to me the gross score should carry all the inches rather than just the typical frame. With how it is set up, there is no place to show the TOTAL inches of a rack that carries any non-typical tines.

I would like to see that also, but doubt pope & young or B&C will ever add that. There are other scoring methods that do reward total inches of antler, but without credit for inside spread.

I could care less what a deer nets really. Add it all up. It's what he grew it's what he deserves. We always joked about getting a water tank and measuring volume or whatever. Big heavy bladed tines don't get you jack.:(

I suppose if I shot a giant typical I'd care about the net.

I get all my deer scored by an official scorer. (I am usually with in a couple of inches) The rule is 15 inches of abnormal point to make it a non typical. I have a buck that is in the books as a 156 4/8 inch typical, but it grosses 192 5/8. It has 11 inches of abnormal points so it didn't make the 15 inch minimum. It nets 178 4/8 as a non typical, but Pope and Young doesn't see it as a no typical.

Wow! I got a deer that has about the same exact scenario as this. About the same scores as well. Which is also why I was wondering at the time.

Top Bottom