Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nosy Dog

Well it happened...had a skunk around the house the past couple of nights. First night the cat was stalking it until we scared the cat away. Second night the dog got nosy and decided to check it out. Yep, you guessed it...sprayed. Any of you have this happen? What's the best way to get the smell out? Not sure if there is any spray we can treat her with or if a bath is the only way other than letting the smell wear off on its own.

Even better than the commercial stuff is a "homemade" concoction:
Skunk Wash Formula
1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/2 cup of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon of liquid soap

Mix together to make a shampoo for your furry pal.
Rinse well to remove the shampoo from the fur after vigorously shampooing.
You may need to double or triple this recipe depending on the weight of your dog.

Mix when you are ready to use it, not before. I like Dawn soap for that component. If a leather collar got sprayed, hang it out in the sun & leave it there until fall. Good luck!

It looks like you have some good input on addressing the dog proper...but here is a tip for the house, if necessary.

Years ago, my brother attempted to skin two skunks and let's just say he didn't do a very good job! :D He could not have been hit worse! I still remember smelling him from INSIDE the closed up house, while he was about 1/2 block away OUTSIDE. Yikes!

He had taken such a strong dose that he was effectively delirious and in a mild panic and he came into the house and immediately went downstairs to try to change, etc. My mother raced downstairs and chased him out of the house as soon as she could...but it was too late...the whole house was infested with skunk musk.

The only thing that I remember that cut that smell inside was to deliberately burn sugar in a pot on the stove and then take the smoking pot from room to room to block the skunk smell. While the smell of burnt sugar is one that is not ever forgotten too...it is far better than the eye watering skunk smell it blocks! :D

I found out years later that police detectives would use the same tactic to mask the smell of a over ripe dead body, etc, on a crime scene.

Would happen at least once a year to one of my bird dogs. Tomato juice and liquid fabric softener bath, repeat as needed.

The skunk wash formula of peroxide, baking soda, and dawn dish soap works the best of everything we have ever tried, IMO. Cheap and easy too.

The homemade recipe works really good. One of my Brits got hit by a skunk while bird hunting this fall. Couple of times with that mixture and he was good to go.

Just so happens the formula of peroxide, soda,and dish soap, is the best scent elimination spray too, for you come next fall.

Just so happens the formula of peroxide, soda,and dish soap, is the best scent elimination spray too, for you come next fall.

I made a couple gallons of a home brew like this last year (minus the dish soap) and it works great.

Thanks for the tips guys! Turns out the skunk's target acquisition system must not have locked on, as I don't think my dog got a direct hit. We kept her out in the kennel that night and the next day, and later that night she only had a faint smell.

Top Bottom