Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nov 12th Bow Buck

cjc77z4

Late Sunday night I decided to take a vacation day on Monday to hunt all day. Veteran's Day has been very lucky for me the last 4 years. I killed bucks at my Dad's on Nov. 11th, 2009, Nov. 11th 2010, was not able to hunt last year, and now this year I kill a buck on Nov. 12th (the day the workforce observed Veteran's Day). Long story short, I love Veteran's Day!!!

Well, I get out there and it is cold cold cold. 24 degrees and 11 degree wind chill. I decided to wear a full facial balcava that I had never worn before and it did/almost cost me. At 7:30 I was standing up and debating whether to go inside because I was frozen. At 7:38am a lone doe walks through the hedge row in front of me and walks broadside to me at 10 yards. I almost shot her but decided that this time of year, a doe is rarely alone. Well, 3 min later a shooter buck walks through the same trail and I draw my bow as he turns broadside at 10 yards. Well. My balcava comes up over my right eyes and I can't find my peep. He walks to within 5 yards and looks up at me, the whole time I still can't get my dang eye clear to line up a shot. He ends up following the doe and I let down, get adjusted, draw back again and by that time he is out of range. I did get trail cam pics of the doe and the buck though so that was kinda cool.

Needless to say, I am a little mad at myself by now. 15 minutes later, I am again standing, frozen, with my bow on the hanger to my right. About ready to climb down, I hear something to my left. I look over and here this guy comes walking in. All I knew was he had a dark rack, had some heighth, and maybe some mass, but that's it. I stopped looking at the rack and I slowly reach for my bow, switch hands, clip on my release, and glance back to see him walk 3 yards in front of my camera. I adjusted my balcave first this time, draw my bow, follow him as he slowly walks into my 20 yard shooting lane and let her fly. The camera took a pic literally seconds before I shot and got another of him after I shot.

I knew I made a good shot but gave him about an hour and a half and found him about 60 yards later. Not my biggest buck, but I am proud of him none the less. Although I didn't always think this, I have learned that the size of the rack does not determine the success of my hunt. It is the experience, circumstances, and memories that I take away with each deer that determine my success. Good luck to everyone else this year. I hope you all get to experience what I was lucky enough to experience again this year.

305554_4044699639024_778101866_n.jpg

532251_4044722119586_241931308_n.jpg

559133_4044726559697_876867476_n.jpg

you hit the nail on the head when you said that each deer has its unique set of circumstances and special memories and that size doesn't always matter. congrats on a great deer.:way:

Any hunting experience that creates a happy lasting memory is a "trophy" experience! A well placed shot & a bloody arrow is always a happy memory. Not a darn thing wrong with that buck either. Congrats!

Top Bottom