Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November Anterless season

T

Tom

... Looking for some opinions on the November Anterless season. I'll offer mine first.

I have never encountered a deer season that I didn't like, that is until this November Anterless season was implemented. I really DISLIKE it because I feel it negatively impacts some of the best days of archery season and it does the same for the 1st shotgun season by getting the deer on edge days before the opener. I wish the November Anterless season were abolished!

In general the IDNR does a great job, but personally, this season is one that I wish they would forget about!

I’d like to hear your opinion….

I agree 100%. Not only is it unfair for the bowhunters and shotgun hunters I wonder how many bucks got poached and are either hanging in barns waiting for this weekend or are sitting in the woods rotting only to be claimed when shotgun season starts.

I was out with the bow last night and for 3 straight hrs heard shotguns blasting away. Deer just don't do there normal things with all that racket.

It makes me wonder who in there right mind wants to go pushing through woods that they will be shotgun hunting in a week.
confused.gif

I agree 100%, all good points.. I also heard on the news this morning of a couple of people who got busted for poaching bucks this weekend . I bet there were a lot more that were shot too. I don't mind the January doe season, but then you hear about guys shooting bucks that already dropped their antlers.

I also dislike the early antlerless season. During the regular shotgun seasons you still can shoot does without impacting the archery season and without impacting the first shotgun season. I have talked to a few people that partake in the early season and they hunt other places so they don't disturb their normal shotgun ground. Which impacts other hunters. There was a lot of shooting going on around where I hunt and I know that impacted my final archery weekend. Not to mention when there are bowhunters in the woods not wearing blaze orange it can be dagerous. I think the IDNR missed the boat with this season. I also believe in Guthrie county around the farm I hunt the deer population is down more than they think. I think they could promote taking does during the normal seasons and have a better responce from the hunters. Whether you have to shoot a doe before you get a buck tag or lower the price of antlerless licences. Thats just my two cents.

this season is plain stupid. if the dnr so DESPARATELY wants more does taken, then just drop antlerless tag prices. many people refuse to drop $27 for that first antlerless tag. make all antlerless tags $12 (or less) and use our traditional seasons to harvest does. all this season is, is a chance for people to take a buck a week early. anyone who thinks this isn't a widespread occurence has their head in the sand. i'm afraid that the only way this season will go away, is after a bowhunter gets shot, or deer numbers drop to a number so low it will set iowa hunting back 15 years

100% here too just nuts. They were out here before the season doing shot gun drives. Just one group at noon. I'm sure some good bucks were taken. How about a doe season only with a check station.Then re open season for bucks following yr ?Bigger bucks
smile.gif
I sit out one yr for a larger buck !

I hunted it last year with family and enjoyed it. I did not partake this year. I will also say that hearing slugs whistle while in your treestand is not cool. I heard shots until 5:30pm.....yes 530. I at this point think it is just another opportunity for a poacher to "appear" legal. I am sure there are good people doing what it was intended for but around me I seen none.

[ QUOTE ]
... I wish the November Anterless season were abolished!

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif

The people I know that killed a few does told me that "now they would just hunt bucks this weekend"
crazy.gif
confused.gif

I agree with everything said. It's a stupid season to have, bucks are likely getting whacked, safety is a concern, and if the DNR wants more does killed, lower those doe tag prices.

In many areas there has been an over kill of does already. We must remember that as hunters we need to keep the does in check but not to over harvest them. Do not just harvest does because they tell you to. Everyone should try to moniter there own area before we ruin the very sport we all love. If you need to harvest more does do it during the regular seasons. The special doe seasons seem to take just as many yearling bucks anyway and then there is still the issue of trespassing during these seasons.

I agree the doe prices need to go down. On my side of the state the doe tags sell out every year. (Cedar,scott,clinton,muscatine, and others) These counties and other counties that sell out or come close the prices should stay the same. Not to mention they may need to start backing the doe tags off in alot of these counties before they really hurt the herd. Deer are definately down in the forementioned counties around me.

In the counties where does are problems and tags never sell out they need to lower those prices.

Supply and demand, maybe the DNR will figure this economic theory out someday. Same w/ NR tags.

It was pretty crazy back home this weekend, I was hunting strictly public land and had people crawling all around me blasting at everything that moved. I also noticed the boys down around my private ground were doing massive drives on the best timbers in the area. I just can't believe people are just shooting does, I mean why would you ruin your best hunting spots for does a week early?
confused.gif
The only good thing about it is, it should push alot of deer and hopefully the big bucks into our places, but then again when we aren't there, they will just push our land too
confused.gif

I could sure do without this season as well, for all the reasons listed already. I bow hunted last year during this season and I got awful nervous when I started hearing shooting and voices close to my stand. No more of that for me, I stayed home this year.
I also think that this season does little to control populations. I think the guys who are hunting it are just shooting their does a week early and then buck only hunting the regular seasons rather than shooting extra does. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it doesnt accomplish anything either.

I agree with talltines, deer numbers really seem to be down in eastern ia. I don't like the bonus seasons at all. The early one messes up the deer for shotgun season and the late one kills too many bucks. Can you imagine how many 150"+ deer get shot in the late season. I think the only bonus tags should go to bow hunters or early ml. Most of these people are more serious about trying to shoot a doe versus anything without horns. We have a hard enough time with all the farmers around here just killing anything just to fill all their tags. Most of them are in it for the crop yields rather than the meat.

I have a very strong dislike of the November antlerless season. Many of you have already head the nail on the head. All it does is get the deer spooked. That's not fair to bowhunters nor to 1st season shotgun hunters. By the time 2nd season shotgun arrives, the smart deer are long gone and in hiding.
You also have to take into consideration the redneck poachers who view it as an opportunity run around in the woods with a gun trying to shoot a buck before the normal shotgun season gets here.

It hasn't been available in our area. Ten years ago I would have favored the season I have to be honest the I am starting to think at least in our area that the population is at or below what the intended goal was for our area. The past two bow and shotgun seasons this one in general I did not see deer like past years. I think if one puts into perspective the amount of deer that this actually takes a person would be amazed when you factor most does are breed by now and if each doe has 1.8-2.2 fawns in the spring it is killing three deer in essence or at least that is how I look at it.

I agree that this season is not the best of choice for saftey reason, but the last thing I want to hear about is bow hunters mad that some of their season is taken away. Bow hunters should be happy that Iowa has a December gun season and they get the whole month of November to themselves. Like I said I dont like the season either but not because it takes 3 days away from a group that has two months of deer hunting to themselves, but for the safety of multiple groups being in the timber at the same time hunting differnt styles.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that this season is not the best of choice for saftey reason, but the last thing I want to hear about is bow hunters mad that some of their season is taken away. Bow hunters should be happy that Iowa has a December gun season and they get the whole month of November to themselves. Like I said I dont like the season either but not because it takes 3 days away from a group that has two months of deer hunting to themselves, but for the safety of multiple groups being in the timber at the same time hunting differnt styles.

[/ QUOTE ] So you don't mind disrupting the first two shotgun seasons and the potential for people to shoot a booner a week early?

Top Bottom