Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November antlerless Season

Pupster

Does anywone know the reason why they are only allowing hunting on private land during this season? In my eyes a dead doe is a dead doe regardless where it's shot.

Pupster

Maybe trying to control the population where it is deemed a problem? I don't hear too many people complain about the number of deer they see on public land or the crop damage that is occurring there.

I wish the MN DNR had this kind of thought process. Makes perfect sense. Allow private landowners to control the herd on thier ground (typically where its a problem) and maintain quality hunting on public ground for those who are hunting there. Good job IA DNR!:way:

I heard the gun hunters that hunt public ground during 1st and 2nd shotgun were complaining that it pushes too many deer off the public ground before the dec. gun seasons. Just what I heard tho

Maybe I'm in the minority but I have a piece of public ground adjacent to private (landowner lets no one hunt) that is full of deer. This herd will never be maintained because the guy lets no one in. So instead of us taking our usual 3-5 does off the public, this particular herd will continue to increase.
I figure if the DNR is trying to manage on a county by county basis, kill as many however, wherever you can in that county. If the whole state is anything like where I hunt, you usually can't hunt where all the deer are anyway because of limited access (hunting denied, leased etc..) that's why its full of deer. That's never going to go away......After all the goal is to reduce the herd why handcuff us and turn the "public Ground" into refuge?
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I figure if the DNR is trying to manage on a county by county basis, kill as many however, wherever you can in that county. If the whole state is anything like where I hunt, you usually can't hunt where all the deer are anyway because of limited access (hunting denied, leased etc..) that's why its full of deer. That's never going to go away......After all the goal is to reduce the herd why handcuff us and turn the "public Ground" into refuge?
Just my 2 cents.

Lack of access (hunting denied/leased) handcuffs the DNR as well as the hunter.

That pubic ground won't be a refuge during the current bow, shotgun or muzzy seasons.

Then why even have the November antlerless season if the theory is "they'll kill them with a bow, shotgun or muzzy later"?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to argue or start a fire about it I just don't get it. It's to reduce deer number via another season.

Why does this season and only this season eliminate public ground?

Last edited:
Why does this season and only this season eliminate public ground?

I can't speak for the DNR, I think I have an email or two I could provide you with so you can talk directly to them.

But, the November antlerless season was unpopular with lots of people, many said it wasn't safe having it during bow season, some said it alerted the deer to the upcoming shotgun season, others argued that some used it to "get a start" (read poach a buck) on shotgun season. With this amount of outcry, the DNR said that it was a temporary season until the deer populations got more in line. Most, including myself, thought that once a season was established, it was most likely here to stay. I was shocked to see them pull this season, but can't say I'll miss it (though I never did hunt it myself).

I'm confused by what you mean by "They pulled the season" they haven't pulled it. It's just for private ground now.

To be honest I'm not even that big of a fan of it but by God if they are going ot give me a chance to shoot deer I'll do it! :)

Last edited:
I'm confused by what you mean by "They pulled the season" they haven't pulled it. It's just for private ground now.

To be honest I'm not even that big of a fan of it but by God if they are going ot give me a chance to shoot deer I'll do it! :)

They "pulled" it from Dubuque county this year, something I am personally very happy about.:grin:

I hope they phase the thing out period.... dumbest deer season they have if you ask me. The population isn't that far out of line to justify keeping the Nov. antlerless season going.

It is stupid to allow shotgun groups and bow hunters in the same timber (not safe). It is stupid to push deer around right before shotgun season (it just pushes them to refuges). It is stupid to put a 'doe' season the weekend before shotgun season as it allows for poached bucks... and yes this happens. It screws up the last good weekend to sit in a stand with a bow... our shotgun seasons are plenty long enough. To me, the negatives far outweigh the positives on the November antlerless season!

The November anterless season is only open in listed counties. It is not statewide like previous years. Has nothing to do with available anterless tags. I believe with out checking its only the bottom two tiers of counties in Iowa. I might be wrong but I believe that is what I read somewhere. If not it is on a county by county basis.

It is open as long as there are doe tags still available in the county.... statewide

I stand corrected... only most of the counties haha.

Did the november tags go on sale yet?

I stand corrected... only most of the counties haha.

Did the november tags go on sale yet?

page 23 of the previous provided link.

November and January Antlerless-only Seasons
Only antlerless deer may be taken during the
November and January Antlerless-only seasons.
Hunters may participate in these seasons regardless
of any other deer license they have obtained.
Licenses are valid only on private property for the
November Antlerless-only season. Licenses for
the November Antlerless-only season will not go
on sale until November 14, and will be available
only in counties where the antlerless-only license
quota has not been filled by that date. Residents
may begin purchasing the January season licenses
on Dec. 15. Public and private land may be
hunted during the January Antlerless-only season.
Nonresidents may purchase January antlerless
season licenses on Jan. 11.

Anything else you want me to do for you?????? :D

Last edited:
No that'll do! haha.... I'm a college student I've learned the best ways to get information with minimal effort... Thanks for doing my research for me :grin:

No that'll do! haha.... I'm a college student I've learned the best ways to get information with minimal effort... Thanks for doing my research for me :grin:

I should have guessed you were a slacker student. Test tomorrow, no notes! Don't trust Wiki or cite some internet know-it-all.;)

Top Bottom