Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NRs kill higher percentage does than archers

OrionWhitetails

Was that whole post of your some kind of a joke???

Most of the things you listed are the reason Iowa is such a great place to hunt. Why can't you figure that out? Oh, yea I forgot you have your 5,000 acre ranch to hunt, so you really don't care about the Iowa deer herd just your own private ranch where you wish you could get multiple buck tags each year and shoot them with a rifle during the rut.

By the way why do you call yourself Orion Whitetails? What is that some type of a high tech breeding facility where you raise big bucks like cattle and ship them to Texas so some sucker can shoot it over a feeder for $25,000. You are quite the hunter/Deer Manager.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OrionWhitetails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As president of the IBA, why do you call yourself "elkhunter" by the way? In case you did not know, there are no free-ranging elk in Iowa that I know of? If you love elk hunting so much, why don't you move out west? In Iowa its whitetails or nothing... come on!

In my opinion, you represent the single most selfish group of elitists that I have ever come across in my life! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OrionWhitetails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
instead of addressing/disputing the facts that I state, you sling personal attacks. Um... a clear sign of ignorance of the issues - ignore the facts & resort to personal attacks. Unfortunately for you, this is not about me personally. Also unfortunately for you, the facts are not mine, they are facts provided from the Iowa Deer Advisory Committee - no wonder you're not arguing facts on this site! </div></div>

Now that is a joke!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OrionWhitetails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nannyslayer,

Let's not compare apples to oranges. Instead, think what would happen if each group were issued the same total number of tags, NR's would kill more does & antlerless deer as group than archers based on the percentages in the table. </div></div>

You sure about that? I am comparing apples to apples, but you like twisting things around saying that they WOULD, COULD, SHOULD, WANT TO, MIGHT, MAYBE, kill just as many does. Look at the FACTS bud, then explain it to me.

IBA had been the ONLY deer hunting group in Iowa to have ANY representation at the Iowa legislature. As a result, your group single-handedly twisted everything that has been churned thru the Iowa legislature in your favor.

</div></div>

Does that make you angry? That's what happens when you move off to Kissyoursistersville, USA and then bitch about what could have been. Do you cry at night thinking about all the southern Iowa boys shooting deer and turkeys off your land in your absence? Cause you know as well as I that it happens on a REGULAR basis. You are a whining, hypocritical spinmaster who can't deal with reality. Your ego so exceeds your intelligence level that it doesn't allow rational thought so all efforts to argue with you are lost. That's why I'm not arguing, I'm simply here to call you an asshat.

Got home late last night and couldn't believe the fires that had popped up.Just for the record 3 of us drove 2 1/2 one way trying to garner more support for the Archery in School Program. Something we like to promote when we aren't being selfish elitists.

Not much for name calling, it accomplishes nothing. So maybe both sides should back down a little. I've read several articles by Mickey and have always found well written and articulate,your post here not so much. So if this isn't Mickey shame on you, if it is get a grip dude you're losing it. Name calling I don't do but you might find a little sarcasm in this post. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Not sure where to begin. So lets start at the top.
I went back and read your post.I agree nr hunters (gun & bow) did kill greater % than bowhunters.So can I lump res gun & bow hunters together and say they killed a greater % of does than did the nr bowhunters? My post compared archery tags only.

"Elkhunter" Had I known at the time when elkhunter was chosen, it would someday come back to haunt me, I would have given it more thought. You can't be serious( I don't care who you are THATS FUNNY)

Here we go
1. Youth season, best change ever last year, if you don't fill your tag during youth season, you can continue to hunt with any legal weapon until tag is filled.Two of my grandsons filled tags in late ML season.
Disabled firearms hunter. If you are talking about new legislation going on now, it has nothing to do with the hunter.It was the wording.Ambulatory in the legislation meant unable to walk period.Ambulatory in the DNR code means you can't walk 300 yds. Big difference.Now all you have done is created another loophole. Dr. I can't walk 300 yds,no problem let me sign a paper and you can gun hunt during bow season. Very selfish of me/us.

100,000 gun hunters, You got me there, Let's just have one season starting Sept 15th and let it run till Jan.22nd.With all the habitat we have in Iowa it shouldn't be problem.

2.Crossbows- The IBA joined NABC (N. American Bowhunting Coalition) when it was formed several years ago.NABC has 41 or 42 states and 3 Canadian provinces that clearly stated the crossbow doesn't belong in archery season for the general public. If you can't pull a bow due to an accident or some other injury you are more than welcome to use a crossbow in this state.Something we have always supported. The IBA didn't start NABC we just signed on. Our membership thought it was the correct course to take.

3,4,5.Don't know what to say.PF polled their members and they didn't like the seasons either. They aren't as vocal but adamant in their stance.So once again the IBA is the bad guy.

6. NR increase - The last 2 years the DNR has insisted on 12,000, nothing in between. Is there a # somewhere between, I don't know. One thing for sure it isn't 12K, which in all reality makes them over the counter.Maybe we should ask the average hunter how that's working for him to the east of us and to the SW of us.

7. Special consideration to NRLO. Have already covered that one in earlier post. Iowa isn't out of line with other states. If this were NY,Mi or Pa we wouldn't even be having this conversation.My question is. What year did we change the law on NRLO? You knew what the law was and you decided to buy Iowa land anyway.

8. Party Hunting - Never have been a big fan of one guy filling the groups tags.I thought a tag gives you the oppertunity to take an animal not promise you one. That's just my opinion, I don't want someone else shooting my deer, I've eaten a lot of tag soup.
We'll get rid of party hunting in Ia. when Tx. gets rid of baiting.It's not going to happen so why even discuss, except to try and drive a wedge between gun & bow hunters.The old divide and conquer ploy. With is about all you are trying to do with the rest of your post. So there's no need to respond.

I may come off as arrogant and a jerk,for that I'll apologize.
To ask the IBA to apologize for standing for what they think is right. Just isn't going to happen. Because every other state bowhunting group couldn't or wouldn't hold their ground, doesn't mean Ia. will cave also. Your eagerness to drive that wedge between hunters in Iowa for your own agenda is very pathetic. I find it hard to believe that a majority of gun hunters are going to be very sympathetic to a group to wants to tie up thousands of acres of Iowa land.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IBA had been the ONLY deer hunting group in Iowa to have ANY representation at the Iowa legislature. As a result, your group single-handedly twisted everything that has been churned thru the Iowa legislature in your favor.

Well, not any more! As a direct result of your group's selfishness, we (Friends of Iowa Landowners & Sportsmen) were forced to hire our own lobbyist. You & your group are singly responsible for our organization - how does that make you feel? </div></div>
Are you serious? A rag tag bunch of hunters has that much influence. I dare you to find one conservation group in this state that will support your cause.If you think that the IBA is the only reason your demands haven't been met you have greatly under estimated the Iowa Sportsman. I would like to thank FOI because when they fuel the fire, we always have a spike in memberships.

You keep your lobbyist and <span style="color: #FF0000">we will keep and use our right to VOTE </span>

Ex "Elkhunter" soon to be iba (if possible)
Very proud president of Iowa Bowhunters Association

if we are going to get "nit-picky" on names, orion whitetails needs to change his to "deerseller"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OrionWhitetails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">elkhunter,

You're still not comparing apples to apples in my mind (read my earlier post). And, if you object to what is stated in the table, then you should have said something at the meeting because I am simply passing on the facts that you yourself helped to provide to the Iowa Legislature!

As president of the IBA, why do you call yourself "elkhunter" by the way? In case you did not know, there are no free-ranging elk in Iowa that I know of? If you love elk hunting so much, why don't you move out west? In Iowa its whitetails or nothing... come on!

In my opinion, you represent the single most selfish group of elitists that I have ever come across in my life! You & your group oppose... (1) sharing your sacred 90-day bow season with youth & disabled firearms hunters, not to mention the 100,000+ shotgun hunters; (2) hunting with a crossbow during the archery season - why does weapon type matter if the effective range is the same?; (3) late season antlerless-only seasons; (4) late-season rifle seasons; (5) holiday seasons for non-residents; (6) any increase in the number of NR tags; (7) any special considerations for NR landowners; (8) party hunting during the shotgun seasons; (9) an expansion of the party hunting rule to the late muzzleloader season; (10) increasing resident hunting license fees; (11) shooting more does than bucks; (12) compensating landowners anything monetarily for hunting access; etc., etc.

IBA had been the ONLY deer hunting group in Iowa to have ANY representation at the Iowa legislature. As a result, your group single-handedly twisted everything that has been churned thru the Iowa legislature in your favor.

Well, not any more! As a direct result of your group's selfishness, we (Friends of Iowa Landowners & Sportsmen) were forced to hire our own lobbyist. You & your group are singly responsible for our organization - how does that make you feel?

I hope your wish comes true for the 100,000+ Iowa shotgun-deer hunters to finally join together and form an organization to represent themselves. If this happens, I guarantee they will also want to address: (1) the fact that Iowa has the shortest firearms deer season in the nation (5-day 1st season); (2) the lack of any opportunity to gun hunt during the rut; (3) the inability to use a high-powered rifle on a state-wide basis; etc., etc. Are you sure you want to go down this road?

I'm an avid DEER hunter. Because of this I hunt deer by whatever weapon is legal at the time. Unfortunately, as a teeenager growing up in northern Iowa, the only way I could hunt deer during the rut was to bow hunt. Because of your group, I was forced to take up bow hunting. I may have made my own decision to do this later, but your group gave me no choice - how selfish!

Mickey W. Hellickson

Proud board member of Friends of Iowa Landowners & Sportsmen &
proud that I am not defined by my choice of weapon </div></div>

Mickey,

You sound more than a little unstable in this rant. Why are you so hateful. You attack a group that is protecting what Iowa is. Your goals are for you and your high dollar hunts. Tell me why we should simply roll over and let you privatize our natural resource. Just build a big fence and run your Empire behind that.

Orionwhateveryournameis,

Because of all the great information that you have enlightened me with I had the uncontrollable urge to join the IBA. As a matter of fact the receipt just was emailed to me.

I just wish I would have joined sooner.

Robert Hearn

Oreo,
Do us all a favor and quit posting on a site that is not directed towards your childish games. I bet someone on here could teach you how to bowhunt but I think you've ruined your chances there. Did you know the deer in Texas are about the same size as my dog? Please quit wasting our time.
Nick

Without Iowa's deer hunting regs (short shotgun seasons outside the rut and caps on NR), I doubt this debate would be occurring. Iowa has managed to grow a solid well structure whitetail deer herd, the ultimate goal of any wildlife conservation plan. Everyone resident is allowed ample opportunity to hunt the wildlife they own. The North American Conservation Model places the wildlife in the public trust not landowners which is the reason we have such robust wildlife numbers in American.

As for the shotgun after the rut, this is no more than wildlife biology 101, removing males after breeding season. IMO, the states that get this aspect have the best structured deer herds.

Most people on this site share storys of hunts and harvests. I would say that most people on this site express a deep caring for animals and the outdoors. This guy is completely opposite. I have not read one line from him about caring for the land, the herd, or making the state of Iowa a better place.
His "He Who Holds the Gold Makes the Rules" attitude won't go far with Iowans. Nuff said.

Just becuase they report killing a doe, doesn't mean they shot a doe. I would bet most of these are shotgun hunters, and party hunting. Which could mean they got a doe tag and used a Iowa resident tag to tag a buck.

The 1st thing I read- "I promise some of you who are so adamantly opposed to non-residents"

I love it how they try and spin being against Friend's of Iowa to being against NR's. I wish it said "I promise some of you who are so adamantly opposed to GREED, CHANGING EXISTING LAWS WE ALL UNDERSTOOD & FRIEND'S OF IOWA ADVANCING OUR SELF INTERESTS..."

I'm not against NR and I don't think the vast majority of folks on here are.

Sounds just like a politician or slick lawyer.

Back to the original topic of this thread. As a group of NR's that have rights on about 180 acres in clayton county in the last 4 years we have had 4 archery licenses between the 4 of us. With those licenses we have taken 4 bucks and 3 does. However on the years we have not drawn tags we purchase NR antlerless tags for the early shotgun season at $258 a piece. In that time we have purchased 12 of these tags and filled all 12 with MATURE does. In 2 of those seasons we have recruited my step brother who is a resident of Iowa and have purchased a total of 6 licenses for him which 2 have been either sex. Of those six tags 4 were filled with mature does with 1 doe fawn and a 4" fork horn. I know this is comingling weapons again but what matters is what hit the dirt and that was 5 bucks (1 of which wasn't a legally antlered deer) and 20 does in again 4 years.
For those of you that gripe about NR's sucking up all the hunting rights to property we hunt this place for FREE!!!! The secret? We shoot does. For years the residents had free run of this guys place and would never shoot any antlerless deer or they would tell them they harvested so many with never producing any proof of kill.

I am by no means trying to toot my horn but when the crap starts to fly about NR's thier are some of us that try to be decent about things, spend alot of money in tag fees, keep deer numbers down and spend alot of cash in the small towns of NE Iowa.

When luck shines on us (now every 4 years) and we get to try to harvest a good buck, I would hope know one would feel any resentament toward us because we are sportsman just as all of you and would give you the same respect if you were in my backyard.

Ok, holy smokers, I just read through EVERYTHING!! What Mickey is trying to do and what FOI is trying to do is SCARY!!!!

Everyone I know from NR's to Residents, from bowhunters to gun hunters, everyone who loves IOWA should be fighting against this- (ok, actually everyone I know of those groups is appauled by FOI already), wow- FOI is just horrible for this state and it would be such a tragedy if they got what they wanted and Mickey got the things he discussed in his other posts above. Unreal that these folks are out there!!!

I think my blood pressure and concern for hundreds of thousands of Iowan's (and all who love Iowa) just went way up!!!

WNC shedhead,

Sounds like you guys are doing your part and then some, but with the current regs that's what makes Iowa a special place otherwise you would stay home. Yeah it sucks you have to wait 3 or 4 years to come but you know when you do come it's a good hunt with quality deer to be harvested and you hunt the land for free. Just wait and see what happens if FOI have their way. You won't be hunting that ground for free and maybe not at all! If they are sure they can get a tag big money from out of state will lease and buy everything they can, thus displacing residents and NR's like yourself alike.

Believe me they are trying to make this a resident against non resident thing. It's not that because if they get these changes it's only the beginning and the do it yourself NR won't be able to compete with them. You my friend will either be leasing or paying an outfitter to hunt Iowa. Plus in a few years when the quality declines like it always does when you over harvest 2.5 and 3.5 year old bucks it will be like hunting your home state plus the big expense!

Oh by the way I too hunted a place for several years because we shot a ton of does (35 plus every year) but once the all mighty dollar got involved it was over. Not even a thank you for building it into the whitetail paradise it had become. FOI is all about the money, GREED my friend is the driving force behind this. Mickey hunts Iowa every year and he claims his place is as well balanced as it could be. So what reason does he need the rules changed, I'll tell you money! It has nothing to do with him hunting every year it has to do with selling the tags to someone else who wants to hunt any year and every year they want, without waiting their turn like you have. If I was a NR and I had been playing by the rules I'd be as pissed as residents are.

Chris

I have now read all of these posts and am really disheartened by the meanness of people. Most of which, when so many of the comments are based on assumptions. One of the most disheartening comments is from whomever has indicated that people are entering someone else's property ILLEGALLY. I think I will repeat that ILLEGALLY. If you have knowledge of illegal acts it is up to you to report accordingly, even if is self incriminating.

Concerning the assumptions and the unkind question that brought in our parents and grand parents, "I hope you can look yourself in the mirror and say I have made my parents and grand parents proud." ...I will share that I have and I feel good about the dialog particulary with my mother and father. They would be very proud because of our pursuit which has nothing to do with money and has everything to do with enjoying the land and continuing the passion of the great sports of hunting and fishing. This pursuit will be carried forward with our next generation as we continue to build an enviroment that is great for the land and great for the enjoyment of our family. My brother is a man that has lived his life in this way, and we should all respect that. His committment to this state and this land in unwavered. There is so much more to the story, but one will never know without a question to what the pursuit or purpose is. Please don't make assumptions that help support your "arguement" especially if these assumptions are negative. That my friends, is self serving.

Jason Hellickson

Hey where can I get a pair of the rose colored glasses you all are wearing.

You got big ones trying to defend big brother, he shows up once or twice a year and posts the same BS assumptions that support his view and then never actaully answers the questions that are asked of him.

You know the only pursuit you will carry over is getting the heck out of dodge when the house of cards you are trying to build collapses! You know as well as I do these changes won't help residents and average joe non residents, it will only help those who have unlimited money. So please quit trying to blow smoke up my you know what.

Top Bottom