Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nursery

Wildturkey 2

What nurserys have you guys had your best luck with buying trees or scrubs ? There’s so many to pick from and if you pick the wrong one it can be a hassle getting things straightened out & expensive.

Kelly Tree Farm in Iowa. I’ve ordered plugs from Itasca Greenhouse in Minnesota.

Just ordered trees from MDC (Missouri) should arrive in April .

As a rule of thumb- try to order from your closest nursery OR ask where they are getting them from. I say that due to living in very north iowa/southern Mn. I went through an Iowa State seminar that said for example- a Kansas tree might not have the same hardiness as a wisconsin tree. The State Forester I’ve been working with has echoed that as well. Since I’m closer to Minneapolis versus Des Moines, they said try to find one further north. I’d assume they know what they are talking about

I love their (Kelly Tree Farm)Swamp Bur Oak hybrid !! Might be my favorite tree!
What things do you like most about it?

Scott Pfeiffer of Yellow River Nurseries in Wisconsin has great prices and trees. I had previously gotten some from the DNR and there is no comparison. Scotts are 100x's better quality IMO. I don't know if he ships though. We drove up 2 different years to pick up orders. It's a pretty long drive.

Wildturkey: I know a guy from Georgetown who got a few hundred trees from Yellow River last year. He plants tons of trees. Grafts his own apple trees etc. He bought some more from Scott this year so they must've done well for him.

Swamp Bur Oak hybrid grows fast, very hardy !! Survives in Minnesota. Puts out acorns early .

In Iowa, if you baby them, they will take off !!!

Reactions: HWC
I’ve been pleased with the Iowa State Nursery…different sizes of orders. It doesn’t hurt to place your order as soon as possible, as they occasionally have shortages. I’ve called them a couple of times and they will work with you.

I ordered about 21,000 bare root seedlings for spring pick up. Part of them from MO and part from IA state nurseries. I also have an order into Yellow River and yes they will ship.
Have you ordered from Yellow River before? If not I think you will be very pleased.

Top Bottom