Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NWSG CRP Planting: Broadcast Spreader??

Snail3496

I have 20ac of NWSG and 5ac of Pollinator to plant this spring for my continuous CRP planting. It is all currently clean bean stubble. I have planted straight switchgrass through hand and 3pt cone broadcast spreaders with great success but understand there is a vast difference between switchgrass seed and big blue, indian, forbes, pollinator etc.

I am in a very urban county and the local NRCS, PF NT drill options are non-existent. Has anyone broadcast this type of seed on a large scale with success? If so, what kind of carrier, rate, tips, etc. seemed to work best?

Would prefer to do it myself just because I'm a control freak, so would like to put off hiring it out as a last ditch effort...

I have 20ac of NWSG and 5ac of Pollinator to plant this spring for my continuous CRP planting. It is all currently clean bean stubble. I have planted straight switchgrass through hand and 3pt cone broadcast spreaders with great success but understand there is a vast difference between switchgrass seed and big blue, indian, forbes, pollinator etc.

I am in a very urban county and the local NRCS, PF NT drill options are non-existent. Has anyone broadcast this type of seed on a large scale with success? If so, what kind of carrier, rate, tips, etc. seemed to work best?

Would prefer to do it myself just because I'm a control freak, so would like to put off hiring it out as a last ditch effort...
@IowaBowHunter1983 has the spreader you'll need. Hopefully he sees this to chime in, I do not remember the model

Broadcasting some if the natives is difficult. Some are easier.
If you have to add fertilizer, mixing seed is an option. Seeding on snow is option as well as using air seeder.

If you have an agitator, it should work fine. I've done it with success.

I have the same exact one but was told the fluffy seed wouldnt flow even with the agitator, so you have to mix it with cracked corn, oats, etc. (carrier). Did you just seed it heavy? I am imagining it tough to hit some of these 4-6lb/ac targets by itself.

I have the same exact one but was told the fluffy seed wouldnt flow even with the agitator, so you have to mix it with cracked corn, oats, etc. (carrier). Did you just seed it heavy? I am imagining it tough to hit some of these 4-6lb/ac targets by itself.
I seed it heavier broadcasting than with a drill but I have never mixed anything with it. The seed supplier should know what you need. It worked good enough for me. Your results may vary.

Edited to add, I run the broadcaster at a half rate. Then when I'm done with the field I go back over the whole thing again driving in-between the tracks from the first pass.

If broadcasting seed, I believe it is recommended to seed at 1.5 times the normal rate. I would personally explore all options before deciding to broadcast.
If you decide broadcasting is the only route, I would at a minimum cultipack it when the ground is thawed for better seed to soil contact.

I have used a vicon pendulum spreader to frost seed natives, blends with natives, and switchgrass. It needs to have an agitator and be calibrated to seed or blend. You could use a carrier but I did not on the projects I have used it on. I did not up the rate and had excellent results, as nature and frost did its job to get excellent germination. I would think you could have good results in late spring also if you cultipacked or tilled to 1/4-1/2 inch depth after broadcasting. I was able to cover 20’ at a decent speed which I feel was so much better than pulling a small drill. Please see video attached where NRCS explains more about this type of seeder.

Top Bottom