Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NWSG in winter wheat

goatman

I hunt days ending in Y
I have a friend who is going to do 30 acres of nwsg. He has to do it this year but planted wheat last fall. He was wondering if he could just mow the wheat off this spring or should he nuke it? He will be drilling the seed next month.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend who is going to do 30 acres of nwsg. He has to do it this year but planted wheat last fall. He was wondering if he could just mow the wheat off this spring or should he nuke it? He will be drilling the seed next month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think I would kill it with RUP in late April so that it would leave a nice mulch for the NWSG.

I think one would have to mow it (the wheat) several times as it's going to want to keep growing.

That would work but he'd have to keep after it or he'll end up with to much clippings which will smother the NWSG.

Mowing wheat or rye in the spring before it heads out won't kill it and you'd probably have a hard time keeping it down with just mowing. Picture your lawn on steroids when you look at a 30 acre wheat field.

What about following winter wheat with soybeans? Would that work or would you still need to nuke the wheat?

What is RUP? I'm not sure why he planted wheat anyway but I think he was thinking about harvesting it then planting nwsg. But he is signed in and has to plant this year. Is it still a good idea to drill the warm grasses real soon?

[ QUOTE ]
What about following winter wheat with soybeans? Would that work or would you still need to nuke the wheat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume your talking about something entirely different Dave?

In the case of NWSG he'll be better off to kill the wheat early with Roundup.

You can no-till soybeans into wheat and kill the wheat with roundup or...

wait an plant the soybeans late after the wheat has nearly matured and from what I've seen at Rob and Jasons place...it works great!

You could no-till soybeans, AWP, field peas, etc, etc, and not use any herbicide!

The deer didn't seem to like the wheat poking them in the nose/eyes and left the soybeans alone when it was little...food for though!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
wait an plant the soybeans late after the wheat has nearly matured and from what I've seen at Rob and Jasons place...it works great!

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a plan right there!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They have their own no-till drill (not fair
icon_sumo.gif
grin.gif
) but you can rent one or get someone to plant it for you.

They had a mix of wheat and rye and some gets knocked down of course and one thing they noticed is that turkeys ate the wheat seed as it dropped but no so much the rye.

In either event with some rainfall it will reseed itself to some extent.

End up with some green and some grain!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually we no-tilled the soybeans into the growing wheat and rye in April. Let the wheat/rye mature and then mid July applied Round-up. The rye and some wheat then reseeded itself in August which left a stand of soybeans that where somewhat protected from the browsing pressure along with a lush new stand of young rye this fall. It worked well and it was a good draw.

This year we plan to drill into our wheat/rye with beans in April and spray in July like last year but then no-till in soybeans and brassicas the first of August. Hopefully we will have young beans coming into the stand of mature beans ... at least until it frosts them out ... and the no-till will provide some disturbance to reseed the wheat/rye.

Having your own no-till definitely is an advantage when playing with foodplots.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually we no-tilled the soybeans into the growing wheat and rye in April. Let the wheat/rye mature and then mid July applied Round-up. The rye and some wheat then reseeded itself in August which left a stand of soybeans that where somewhat protected from the browsing pressure along with a lush new stand of young rye this fall. It worked well and it was a good draw.

This year we plan to drill into our wheat/rye with beans in April and spray in July like last year but then no-till in soybeans and brassicas the first of August. Hopefully we will have young beans coming into the stand of mature beans ... at least until it frosts them out ... and the no-till will provide some disturbance to reseed the wheat/rye.

Having your own no-till definitely is an advantage when playing with foodplots.

[/ QUOTE ]

doah.gif
I should've payed attention in class!
blush.gif

Just had the timing off...by a few months
grin.gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom