Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NWSG seed

streitl

Anyone know of any programs/organizations that have free or reduced cost prairie grass seed? I've got about 3.5-4 acres of hillside I want to put into some native warm season grasses. It would be like $800 if I bought it from a seed store. Not opposed to that, but free is better. It is not a part of any NRCS program. Just doing it on my own.

NRCS - REAP, Conservation cover. you don't get free seed BUT they pay for the seed or most. So, kinda the same thing.

NRCS - REAP, Conservation cover. you don't get free seed BUT they pay for the seed or most. So, kinda the same thing.

I am the same boat (plan on doing several projects out of pocket). How does this REAP work? Just go into the NRCS office and ask to sign up or something?

Last edited:
I am the same bought (plan on doing several projects out of pocket). How does this REAP work? Just go into the NRCS office and ask to sign up or something?

Yes Sir. Each office can be a little different on how they like to do things but go in and ask about the funding and have your maps ready and some ideas/plans. Sign up and they will let you know when approved.

Yes Sir. Each office can be a little different on how they like to do things but go in and ask about the funding and have your maps ready and some ideas/plans. Sign up and they will let you know when approved.

Thanks. Last question.....any idea If they will allow you to use this program for interseeding? I have about 30 acres of brome that is in CP2 that does nothing for me in terms of deer habitat. I would like to burn, spray, and drill in NWSG this spring. The contract is not up for another 5 years and I don't want to wait that long to make it better.

Call the county's private land's biologist. You can get this info and contact from your NRCS office. Ask for a voucher for half off seed in that example.

I talked to NRCS and gathered some info. For those wondering the program for non-CRP contract work is called "Prairie Partners Program". This will get you seed at 50% discount, but will not cover any cost share for drilling, spraying, etc. This seed can be used for areas that do not qualify for CRP (ie no crop history) and interseeding existing CRP. The seed has to be purchased at one of the 6 native seed companies recognized by the state of Iowa.

This will save me about $1,200 on my small projects.

Just thought I would pass along my findings.

You might want to try and burn it first to see what seed you already have in the ground. Spray it with some Plateau or Panoramic after the burn to inhibit the weeds. You may be surprised at what native grasses start growing after the burn. If you have any thin spots later on then you can add some NWSG seed in those spots to fill in. It may not cost you as much seed in the end. It's a cheap way to see what's already there.

You might want to try and burn it first to see what seed you already have in the ground. Spray it with some Plateau or Panoramic after the burn to inhibit the weeds. You may be surprised at what native grasses start growing after the burn. If you have any thin spots later on then you can add some NWSG seed in those spots to fill in. It may not cost you as much seed in the end. It's a cheap way to see what's already there.

Here's the thing..... I checked the Iowa historical aerial photos (very cool for those that have not seen that website) and the ground was farmed dating back to the oldest images they have which are 1930. At some point that stopped and was enrolled into CRP. The brome is as clean I have seen. Not a single weed. Not a single blade of NWSG.

Do you think there could be NWSG seed in there with that old of a farm history and perfect brome? I have no clue. I am willing to try that, but the downside is if it doesn't work then I have to wait another year to start establishing NWSG. The other thing is if NWSG does not appear and I have killed the brome I am afraid of a major weed problem.

Don't count on nwsg popping up in that scenario and I think you'll be disappointed in your brome kill with only spring set-back methods. Great for switch because you can use atrazine. Not so great for diverse mixes. A bunch of brome will pop right back up. Mow/spray in the fall, burn then spray in the spring has proven to KILL about 99% of brome.

Top Bottom