Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oak ID help

bowman

Super Moderator
My landowner friend has two large oaks growing in her front yard that were there when she was a little girl (she is 73). One drops acorns every year and other only drops every other year. Can you identify them? I have not seen the acorns.

Tree #1 (produces acorns every year)

1040-oak_1.jpg

........and it has huge leaves, not all this large.

1040-oak_2.jpg

Tree #2 (she says it produces every other year)

1040-oak_4.jpg

I'm going to guess a swamp white oak. On the smaller limbs does it look like the bark is peeling off?

Looks like a swamp oak for the 1st one- chance it could be a cross though too.
2nd is for sure a Burr Oak.
With the Burr oaks, they'll have the really ridged bark and watch for the fall when acorns drop- the tops will have all sorts of trash on the top - kind of furry & rough material and the top of the acorn will cover the acorn by quite a good %. Both great wildlife trees and great trees to have around!

Both look like bur oaks to me. Leaves can be deceiving, they need to come from leaves that get full sun. Leaves in the shade will get huge and can look different from those that get full sun.

Either one could be hybrids tho of some sort, but look like they are strong on the bur oak side. Burly acorn caps will tell the whole story. If they have long peduncles, that would mean some swamp white is in their genes as well.

Thanks guys! I was leaning towards Burr Oak for both myself but was confused when she said that one produced every year and the other tree bi-anually. I'll have to check them out this fall when they are dropping.

Thanks again.:way:

Both look like bur oaks to me. Leaves can be deceiving, they need to come from leaves that get full sun. Leaves in the shade will get huge and can look different from those that get full sun.

Either one could be hybrids tho of some sort, but look like they are strong on the bur oak side. Burly acorn caps will tell the whole story. If they have long peduncles, that would mean some swamp white is in their genes as well.

Interesting, I never knew that. They say you learn something new every day and for today, that was it! :way:

Yep. :way:

If you want a bit more accurate ID over the internet post a couple photos of the whole tree from a little ways away and the branches that are 1-3" in diameter

Top Bottom