Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oak trees

savey33

My brother and I purchased some land and I would love any advice on getting some oak trees going. We planted some burr oaks already. After research it seems white oaks are the best....it seems all of these take forever to grow and produce acorns. What about sawtooth oaks? I read they produce acorns after 6 years or so. Any other good quickly producing varieties out there that would attract deer? ANY advice would be appreciated!

Read the tree planting and acorns to oaks posts in Dbltree's section- start by clicking Whitetail Management topic and then get into Dbltree's section.

I'd FOR SURE go with some Dwarf Chinkapin oaks, as many as you can. Sawtooths are not as fast BUT are good, some guys don't like that they aren't native and worry about spreading. I'd also get some Swamp White oak, pin oaks, etc. Really, even though many will take a LONG time to bare acorns (white oak)- I'd still load up on all varieties, they are easy to plant, all have their +/-'s. I personally don't bother with black oak- a few on property already and the other oaks are a lot better imo.
Dwarf Chinkapin, Chinkapin, White Oak, Swamp White, Swamp Chestnut oak, red oak, pin oak. I would also look at a lot of other hybrids.... If you shop right you can find good deals and some sweet oaks. I'll be ordering all of the oaks I just listed for my next spring planting. I'm LOADED with Burr Oaks SO that's the only one I'll skip. Burr's are great trees though and you'll be happy you planted them. the above threads have hybrid oak and other oak info.

Oaks

Savey: Your location says SD, is your land in SD? If so, I would agree with Sligh on all trees, with the exception of dwarf chinkapin, which may not survive in SD, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

My MN farms are one hour east of SD...this is what works for me.

Bur Oak (good survival) but I might recommend planting plugs or 3-4 footers to get a nice start and more potential for early acorns.

Swamp White Oak---great tree, does better in wet or moisture areas.

Hybrids such as The Bur Gambel Oak (University of Idaho) sells them for $2 each. They are plugs and very good trees. I have maybe one that has died out of close to 100 planted. Good growth as well, acorns in about 10 years according to the nursery source,

I am watching/evaluating a Swamp Bur Oak cross from Kelly Tree Farm in Iowa and so far so good. I think they will grow in most midwestern states.

Northern Pin Oak grows in poor soils, medium growth rate, but good survival. Holds leaves forever in the winter. Itasca Greenhouse in MN, sells northern pin oak plugs

Good luck and I would love to hear some updates in the future!

oak trees, my advice (worth < than 2 cents)

1) Refer to "Dbletree's Corner".

2) Plant a variety of oaks and consider some hybrids for earlier production.

3) Read up on sawtooth oaks, especially for your area. I have some planted in Iowa and as in the south, they seem to grow quickly. One thing I like about them is that they hold their leaves through winter and could be useful if planting a screen, especially along with red cedars, etc.

4) Tube as many as possible. Depending on your deer numbers, success may depend on whether the new trees are being eaten each year as has been the case on our farm in Iowa. 5 foot tubes and/or fencing, is the ticket, imo. Our plan is to plant fewer trees, keep the grass away from them, and tube them all. Otherwise, they do provide excellent browse in January.

5) Refer to "Dbletree's Corner".

Good luck.

I hear a lot of "flack" about folks not liking shingle oaks. Pry cause they are invasive BUT.... They are native to IA and get looked over a lot in favor of others. The FACTS still are: Shingle oak produces a wildlife craving acorn each year, they grow real fast, they hold their leaves til spring and they are a hardy tree. It's a native tree I have a lot of BUT I'm a far cry from hating them and they do have some solid facts on their side.

I hear a lot of "flack" about folks not liking shingle oaks. Pry cause they are invasive BUT.... They are native to IA and get looked over a lot in favor of others. The FACTS still are: Shingle oak produces a wildlife craving acorn each year, they grow real fast, they hold their leaves til spring and they are a hardy tree. It's a native tree I have a lot of BUT I'm a far cry from hating them and they do have some solid facts on their side.

I agree, the turkeys were all over the shingle oak acorns all winter and never touched the standing or cut beans at least through Jan 15th.

I would think your to far north for sawtooth. Mine haven't produced every year from late frost and they didn't hold up very well with the last ice storm. They do like others said hold leaves through most of the winter. Shingle oak is tough cover.

Yes my land is in SD. Half of it floods pretty much every spring. This is mostly timber, but there are pockets where I can plant some more tress. Maybe I need to look into the swamp white oak for this spot? The rest does rise to higher ground, so I guess I will just have to experiment with some of the oaks listed above. Thanks guys!

Yes my land is in SD. Half of it floods pretty much every spring. This is mostly timber, but there are pockets where I can plant some more tress. Maybe I need to look into the swamp white oak for this spot? The rest does rise to higher ground, so I guess I will just have to experiment with some of the oaks listed above. Thanks guys!

If it floods, you may be looking at more along the lines of swamp oak, etc. There's several oaks that are better for low ground, I planted some on low land about 3 years ago, I can't remember which varieties were better there, obviously swamp oaks BUT there's others. If you're getting SEVERE flooding, I might just spend your time on the slightly higher ground for now. I'd look at some shrub options as well for that type of land. I would put most the swamps on the lower stuff and other wet ground trees and use the others on the higher ground. Letemgrow, thoughts? :)

Where are you guys finding bareroot shingle oak seedlings?

In October, I LOAD up on the gazillions of acorns under some massive producing trees and plant em. I haven't looked to see if you can buy seedlings??? Again, Letemgrow would know if they are out there. If you don't have shingle oaks out there, I'd be happy to collect some acorns for you and send them to you.

In October, I LOAD up on the gazillions of acorns under some massive producing trees and plant em. I haven't looked to see if you can buy seedlings??? Again, Letemgrow would know if they are out there. If you don't have shingle oaks out there, I'd be happy to collect some acorns for you and send them to you.
No Shingle Oaks in western IA on our farms, we're looking at doing a large tree planting and these would be great to add to it! We may have to take you up on that offer Skip

Sligh i would be interested in some shingle oaks if you are willing to part with some... I am trying to get a wide variety of oaks on my farm, from different locations... If you would be interested i could send some acorns from a good producing red or burr oak...

Not sure who sells it, shingle oak is a "weed" tree according to most people. I have small seedlings all over my farm. They are a very prolific acorn producer and most (if not all) nurseries do not carry them because they are so prolific...no one wants them and basically everyone has them.

Sligh i would be interested in some shingle oaks if you are willing to part with some... I am trying to get a wide variety of oaks on my farm, from different locations... If you would be interested i could send some acorns from a good producing red or burr oak...

Send me a message come September. Get me your address, etc and I'd be happy to send you some.

Not sure who sells it, shingle oak is a "weed" tree according to most people. I have small seedlings all over my farm. They are a very prolific acorn producer and most (if not all) nurseries do not carry them because they are so prolific...no one wants them and basically everyone has them.

Do animals like their acorns? I'm not familiar with them at all so feel free to correct me if planting some of them isn't a good idea. So far they seem like a good tree to have around? Right now we've got bur oaks on our farm, and that's the only oak. We're going to plant some whites, red, chiquapin, and pins from the state nursery this spring but more diversity is always better... and the fact they hold their leaves through the fall/winter sounds really good.

Animals like em a lot. They r a native tree to iowa. Aggressive but I love having them around.

Do animals like their acorns? I'm not familiar with them at all so feel free to correct me if planting some of them isn't a good idea. So far they seem like a good tree to have around? Right now we've got bur oaks on our farm, and that's the only oak. We're going to plant some whites, red, chiquapin, and pins from the state nursery this spring but more diversity is always better... and the fact they hold their leaves through the fall/winter sounds really good.

Turkeys tore up the acorns last winter, they are not preferred by deer since they are a red oak, but readily consumed if that makes sense?? The acorns are small like a pin oak so I think that is why the turkeys readily consume those acorns. Checked the shingle oaks again this year....loaded up again. I see deer really go after the red oak acorn types come November after all the white oaks are gone.

A shingle oak is the low man on the totem pole for me, they are as common as a locust on my farm so if there is a northern red, white, or some other type of oak, I favor it over the shingles if something needs cleared.

One year, I had an doe ground of 11 that came in and munched on some shingle oak acorns every night...they do serve a valuable purpose for cover and food....they are just not a timber quality oak. A shingle hybrid with a timber quality red oak would be ideal and Mossy Oak Nativ Nurseries has a young one growing right now...can't wait to get some seedlings off that!! :D

Last edited:
Cool! Sounds like you guys got 'em so they are more common for ya... we on the other hand could use some variety on the dinner table for the wildlife! We'll have to get a hold of some Shingle Oak acorns this fall.

Cool! Sounds like you guys got 'em so they are more common for ya... we on the other hand could use some variety on the dinner table for the wildlife! We'll have to get a hold of some Shingle Oak acorns this fall.

I have a 7 acre area that has grown up...there are regular white oak timbers on both sides of this and all I have growing back up are hundreds of shingle oaks seedlings and one black oak....not a young white oak seedling to be found. I am not ever sure where the shingle oak is that seeded that whole area if that tells you anything. :)

Sorry to hyjack this thread.:eek: Here is a list of the trees the forester encoutered while walking some of our timbers... If it produces acorns and animals can eat them then we're a step towards moving in the right direction! Not much there for variety... especially in the way of oaks.

Basswood
Black walnut
Bitternut hickory
Black locust
Black willow
Boxelder
Bur oak
Coralberry
Cottonwood
</ST1:p</O:pDogwood
Eastern red cedar
Elderberry