Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

oats vs rye

bjkpharmd

I have always had good luck with rye, this year we drilled oats and rye. This picture shows why I will not plant oats next year. Prior to the frost and snow they were about the same- rye is at the far end of this and one drill width on each side. Oats are completely done until next spring, deer are still browsing the rye.
2005_12260016.jpg

Rye seed is dirt cheap and is very quick to green up in the spring, not sure it can compare with clover/alfalfa. Deer are still pickin around in hay fields around me.

Timberpig- I couldn't tell the difference looking at the plot, the one night I was there turkey hunting though they were all on the rye end. Could have been the wind that day or just whatever.

I was just thinking...it sure would be nice to have a nice rye plot starting to green up right now! Seems like a great place to look for sheds. Have you had time to check yours pharmer?

On our land we have 380 acres of tillable land and in the fall after harvest they spread hog manure on the land and plant rye on the whole thing! It greens up quite a bit in the fall but now that whole 380 acres is GREEN! You would think the deer would be all over that land and there are a bunch of deer but we shed hunted quite a bit of that section this weekend and didn't find a shed?
confused.gif
The deer and turkey really love that rye though!

Top Bottom