Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Observation from hunting Illinois and change with crossbows allowed for full Archery Season.

Baby-G

PMA Member
I was talking with Skip the other day and he thought it would be a good idea to share changes I’ve seen in Illinois since changes to allow crossbows for full archery season.

I’ve hunted Illinois since 1997 and still hunt the same farms. I’ve seen some unbelievably great hunting and some pretty huge dips in deer numbers and mature bucks.

The most serious risk to an areas deer herd is EHD (not to be confused with CWD). EHD can almost completely wipe out deer in a 1 to 2 mile area. CWD isn’t like that at all and isn’t a threat to killing large amounts of deer per year. Evidence shows that CWD is created by lacking certain minerals and/or lacking humic and fulvic acid.

Since feeding minerals has been outlawed in Illinois the EHD outbreaks pretty much happen every year in areas. Basically it seems due to not feeding minerals the deers immune system aren’t as strong and EHD kills more deer yearly.

The introduction of crossbows for full archery season has been a fairly gradual change. At this point I feel that 50 percent of archery hunters have switched to crossbows. Some admit it and some hide it….

Before crossbows were allowed archers shot around 36 to 38 percent of the total harvest. Gun hunters harvested the majority. Now Archery season is responsible for 58 percent of the harvest. I’ve definitely seen less gun hunters.. I attribute this to guys using crossbows and tagging out before shotgun season. Mature buck numbers have declined since introduction of cross bows for full archery season. Crossbows have enormous advantages over compound bows. Ultimately they quadruple an archers chance of filling their tags. Crossbow companies lobby hard for longer seasons because they want to sell more product.

Just my observation…

Crossbows have a place for hunting but I’d fight against having crossbow season run with Archery season because you will see a big dip in mature animals.

Agreed. I was also surprised just how many locals bought straight wall cartridge rifles now. Guys that never shotgun hunted are now locked and loaded ready to knock the young bucks out next season. I've said it before and it's truer than ever. If you are one of the few hunters truly after mature bucks you are up against a brick wall now, especially in Illinois. Iowa hunters really need to fight to keep what they have now!

That was the whole point of legalizing them. Selling us guns.
I think the reason they legalized them was to bring in more revenue by selling more gun tags. Illinois is broke and they need all the money they can possibly bring in. Managing the deer herd for mature bucks is about the last thing they care about. More gun tags mean more immature bucks getting shot.

Before crossbows were allowed archers shot around 36 to 38 percent of the total harvest. Gun hunters harvested the majority. Now Archery season is responsible for 58 percent of the harvest. I’ve definitely seen less gun hunters.. I attribute this to guys using crossbows and tagging out before shotgun season. Mature buck numbers have declined since introduction of cross bows for full archery season. Crossbows have enormous advantages over compound bows. Ultimately they quadruple an archers chance of filling their tags. Crossbow companies lobby hard for longer seasons because they want to sell more product.

Just my observation…

Crossbows have a place for hunting but I’d fight against having crossbow season run with Archery season because you will see a big dip in mature animals.
This is obvious that crossguns ruin age structure, quality & archery land access …. but at the same time it’s not known to the public at large. Just like any deer management issue for good or bad… most hunters have no clue. The public has no idea that some states are deer management disasters & some still have sound regulations & balanced deer herds. You propose adding ANY weapon (hand grenades, I don’t care!!!) …. Some folks will go “sounds good. What’s it matter how they get killed? No big deal! Sounds fun!!!” Anything. Politicians included.

There’s a few that understand the unintended consequences…. Folks on here, IBA, folks who struggle to find good places to go, long time deer hunters, folks who have hunted a lot of states & areas, etc. The vast majority of people- not bashing them - they just don’t understand it!!! Why we need to do more to educate & keep on getting message of crazy bills to public & educating the politicians that want to understand the world of hunting (many are open minded and want to learn!!!!). I can tell them & public what would happen to iowa if we add: “xyz”. Most of it will result in: a lower quality herd, less opportunity for everyday hunters & an accelerated loss of new hunters - PERIOD!!! The exact worst thing anyone would want on almost any side of this. Less “opportunity” (from conservative regs) really translates into MORE OPPORTUNITY!!! “More opportunities” from a politicians stand point will result in LESS OPPORTUNITIES!!!!!!!

Folks understand this with fish!!!! Slot limits. Conservative catch limits. Not keeping every single fish, catch & release. Not taking young fish. Keeping fish quality high to captivate new fishermen, Etc. It’s easy to understand with fish but those same principles are hard to have people understand with deer. We need to make them easy to understand & we are doing a better job of this year by year. I hope we can reach the critical masses before it’s too late.

Fun and for sure controversial topic. I’ll start by saying that I’m not a crossbow hunter. I share the same feelings as many others in the belief that crossbows shouldn’t have the same extended archery season. They should be compressed.

However, that’s not what the data is showing right now. Illinois does record a fair amount of data that is shares with the public. As an engineer, I’m constantly looking at data to back up my theories or gut feelings. If the data doesn’t back up those ideas. It’s time to challenge the ideas. Here’s what I mean…. Below are stats through the 2021-2022 season.

E0B66E05-1A5D-4BC7-B455-9C208A587D64.jpeg

Archery kills are close to firearm kills, but has not surpassed. When you look at trending data from 2012, nothing suggests that crossbows have increased total number of deer killed by season. Lots of other variables in there as well, but nothing glaring at the time that crossbows came into play.

20783557-81B7-466C-8F19-5267739E5BD2.jpeg
Archery kills have increased since crossbows have been legalized. This year was the first year crossbows have killed more deer than a compound. 51.5% to 47.4%.

D9173CB9-A466-462E-9693-F7CC010E6C47.jpeg

The idea that crossbows are hurting are structure is not supported by data. Above it shows that the number of adult deer taken has increased. This could result in fewer older deer taken in the future, but when crossbows came onto the scene in 2017, mature deer killed has only increased. Time will tell if this goes the other way, or other practices of passing deer are paying off.

45DBE5EE-B6C0-4F11-B0F9-982A901A2F58.jpeg

Above are the firearm numbers. They show a decline in firearm kills. This would support the idea that more firearm hunters are getting a crossbow, shooting their deer prior to firearm season. However, this again is effected by many other variables.

After looking into the data. I don’t think crossbows are impacting a quality hunting experience. I think the “traditional” archery guys are seeing and feeling more new hunters during the archery season. Their mature deer are now being killed by a crossbow instead of that “lucky” gun hunter during firearm season. I think the data needs to be continued to be monitored, but I don’t think crossbows are having a negative effect on the IL deer herd.

IL Resident here,

There is not one single positive that has come of the crossgun. It has been totally devastating to the buck herd statewide. There are MORE deer hunters than ever, now able to spend more days in the woods than EVER. The speed that quality has declined is worse than any of you can imagine. ESPECIALLY in areas lacking multiple large tract landowners.

The worst consequence nobody mentions is the TYPE of "hunter" it has allowed in the woods all season now. 90% of the guys that would only hunt 7 days/year MAX pre '17, couldn't care less about your age structure or deer herd. Simply put, they are takers. They are now Ravin'd-up killers that can't stand to see a tag go unfilled. There was nothing wrong with the previous paperwork barrier of entry. It was perfect. In fact, my own brother is disabled, did the paperwork, and has been using one for 10+ years. If you truly need a xbow to hunt, its not a problem and really is OK!! Just that slight paperwork hurdle, kept out of bow season the unambitious guys with convenient September shoulder soreness and "not enough time to practice" their vertical bows. You all know the type. Beyond that, the uptick in documented poaching with the increasingly compact crossguns is enough for even non-hunters to resent them.

Response is always the noble " hunter recruitment" cry. Is that important? Of course. BUT, this isn't 1800's America, we will never be the majority, nor will we be even remotely close ever again. Everything revolves around recruitment quantity, and seems to lack emphasis on the teaching and recruitment of ethical, QUALITY hunters. THOSE are the guys that send letters to their senator, start and join local chapters, plant trees, volunteer etc. Giving a little kid a xbow because they're too young to draw a vertical bow isn't recruitment, it's just easy content for Dad's Facebook. If a kid wants to bow hunt at 6 but can't draw enough weight or shoot accurate enough to hunt until 10, that is OK!!! More times than not THAT is the kid that truly loves it, will become, and remain a deer hunter for the right reasons.

Long rant, but this is a topic I feel strongly about. All of you IA guys, fight it with everything you've got, because it will be the end of the good ole days.

We have a fairly large farm up in NE Wisconsin. A few years ago, the State approved the use of crossguns for the entire bow season. The DNR had their annual spring public meetings around the State and crossguns were on the agenda. They told the public they estimated 25% of the archery hunters would choose to use them. The public voted that night as an advisory to the DNR board in favor of having the choice between using a conventional bow or a crossgun during the bow season. The Natural Resources board then recommended the use of them to the State legislature, where it passed and became law. When purchasing your archery license there is an extra $3 charge if you want to use a crossgun. The State keeps a record of which weapon people are using. The last I heard and read over 75% of the hunters are using crossguns. Needless to say, the DNR was shocked at the percentage of hunters that chose to use them. The last I read, the DNR was trying to come up with some way to change the law. This will never happen, we now no longer have a bow season. Call it what it is, a crossgun season and mature bucks are hard to come by. KEEP IOWA GREAT!

We have a fairly large farm up in NE Wisconsin. A few years ago, the State approved the use of crossguns for the entire bow season. The DNR had their annual spring public meetings around the State and crossguns were on the agenda. They told the public they estimated 25% of the archery hunters would choose to use them. The public voted that night as an advisory to the DNR board in favor of having the choice between using a conventional bow or a crossgun during the bow season. The Natural Resources board then recommended the use of them to the State legislature, where it passed and became law. When purchasing your archery license there is an extra $3 charge if you want to use a crossgun. The State keeps a record of which weapon people are using. The last I heard and read over 75% of the hunters are using crossguns. Needless to say, the DNR was shocked at the percentage of hunters that chose to use them. The last I read, the DNR was trying to come up with some way to change the law. This will never happen, we now no longer have a bow season. Call it what it is, a crossgun season and mature bucks are hard to come by. KEEP IOWA GREAT!
Well spoken & written.
One thing I caught that I want to highlight- “ The public voted that night as an advisory to the DNR board in favor of having the choice between using a conventional bow or a crossgun during the bow season.”. THAT vote didn’t go the “right way” & u are now reaping the consequences. BUT!!!!! Hunters were able to vote!!!!!!! That’s actually a very positive thing. I wish we could adopt that here where hunters had a voice. That way- they really can lay in the bed they made- good or bad. the politicians & lobbyists have less influence that way too. Unfortunately the voters of Wisconsin get it wrong way too often (2022 ;) & this Xbow crap to name 2). But at least u can vote on that stuff!!!

Top Bottom