Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Odd question....Infected meat

Just curious if any of you has ever eaten an animal that had an obvious infection, such as shot an animal that had been stuck earlier with a broadhead and was all pussed up. Just curious if you butchered and kept meat that looked good or if I should consider all of the meat to be worthless.

I am wondering because we actually have a beef steer with an injury that was infected. Doesn't seem to bug him, and I've treated him with antibiotic and cleaned him out for a couple weeks. I don't think it's going to heal without some major vet work, so I'm thinking about just butchering him after the penicillin withdrawal period. I'm a little unsure about it though. I'd feel a lot better if I knew people out there have taken a deer with an injury and kept the good meat and had no issues.

Any experience or comments welcome.

usually beef is ok. just let the locker know that he had an infection and they will kinda get rid of that area. We have taken in beef that have had infections before you just have to make sure its not a major infection where gang green sets it but if youve been treating it then it should be ok just keep treating it until it is healed.

the buck i shot last night had a big puss sore on his neck.. I didnt want to take the chance on it as it was pretty nasty looking, it sucks but its not worth getting sick over.

I have been around farming my whole life and farming has been in my family for years and I know for a fact ppl will butcher livestock when they are to injured or sick to stay healthy...it's no different than a cut on your body! Just cuz u have a sore doesn't mean your whole body is infected( yet). That's a lot of money your throwing away , it's not just a 28 dollar deer tag. Keep it! ( obv just don't eat the infected area haha) I'll take the straps!

Sent from my iPad using IW

Liberally cut out the meat around the infected area and you'll be fine. However, I have seen some nastiness throughout the body. Last year the buck I shot with my bow had worms all through the meat. It smelled bad and was just slimy and nasty... Before I pitched it, I did some poking around on the internet and found that it had a parasite... they were little 5-8 inch worms and flat out gross.

Evidentially 1 in 10,000 deer get a parasite like this, and it really doesn't affect the deer that much. ANd, you can eat the meat if you want to cook the meat thoroughly.... but, it was gross and I wasn't gonna take any chances since I feed my family with that meat... and don't cook my meat thoroughly....

The question is about a steer. NOT a deer! Cut the bad off and you will be fine!

Except for the fact a deer tag is 28 bucks and a butcher ready steer over 1000. Don't really wanna toss that unless you have to!

it will be fine, but what are you treating him with? Just straight penicillin? LA200? Some of the antibiotics you give cattle, you need to wait 28 days before butchering.

Top Bottom