Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Off Topic: What computer setup would you buy?

TallTines

I am in the process of looking for a new PC. I am looking for a fast computer and about a 19"-20" flat big screen monitor. I would like to stay in the $1500 or less range. I have been out of the game for computers for a while and w/ all the options out there im not sure what to get or what the options mean.

So what brand and options would you get for under this price?

Thanks

Hey, I just upgraded everything... here's a link to the monitor we just bought...

monitor

and we went with a refurbished Dell computer on recommendation from several people. You can get a $1000 machie for $500-$600 depending on the stats. They're backed up with warranties as well.

Dell Outlet

You appear to be in eastern Iowa (at least that is what it says below your name). If so, call NeoComputers

We have been spec'ing out work computers through these guys and getting screaming systems at half the cost of Dell. Tell them what you want to do with it, what your budget is and they will build it for you.

No, I don't have any financial interest/ties,just a satisfied customer.

If I were in the market for a 'puter, I would assemble my own. But if you're a plug and play kind of guy, Dell comes to mind. Make sure you get at least 1GB memory (i.e. SDRAM or RDRAM), as web pages, and most programs for that matter, tend to be pretty memory intensive these days. As for hard drive space, you'd be hard pressed to find anything that comes with less than 60GB, regardless of the fact that you will probably never need more than 20-30...unless you're into downloading and/or storing DVDs on your computer.

You can save a LOT of money if you upgrade the memory yourself later, and it's very easy to do.

Only problem with building a machine is you gotta know the lingo, inside and out. This is where my first 3 machines came from, Frankenstined together from 3 of my buddies cast off junk. Cheap and easy, but only because I bought them beer and they did it for me.
smile.gif

JNRBRONC, I wish I had known about your little computer place.
mad.gif

I've helped dozens and dozens of people with this same decision. Most of them ended up with a Dell system.

If you're looking for something to surf the net, get email, and other light use you can easily pick up a Dell system with a flat panel monitor and 2 year warranty for $800.

If you're going to be gaming or doing other processing intensive stuff you might check into some local shops for a custom system or even pay a geek a few dollars to help configure the system for you.

[ QUOTE ]

JNRBRONC, I wish I had known about your little computer place.
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't know you was looking and ya didn't ask.
shrug[1].gif

It would help to know a little Geek Speak when you go to Neo but they are pretty good guys and would talk a person through it. They have some water cooled hard drive systems for intense gaming applications.
shocked.gif

Yeah yeah, I didn't. Still happy with what I got.

Sorry to hijack, good luck buying!

What's with all this Dell nonsense?? How about supporting your fellow Iowa Whitetail member/Gateway Computer sales representative...ME!
cool.gif

Ping me and I'll see what I can do.

Tomo

Tall, It doesn't matter what computer you buy, just get a decent warranty and it doesn't need to be an extended warranty. And remember, memory is cheap. 1GB is good but 2 is better....

If your willing to drive to the Des Moines area,give Lynn Cowden a call at Cowden Computers and Electronics.We had a fire in Sept.and just got around to have him build us one.I don't have the specs,but he will build it for what you need.Were in the same price range as you and was able to stay there with know problem.Take him 2-3 days to finish one with a 2 yr. parts & labor warranty.The nice thing is if you have a problem you talk direct with him,not someone from India!!I know him from the harley world and he is all about fast computers,along with his bikes and race cars.
cool.gif
His ph# 515-225-9733 in Clive,and has been in business over 20 yrs.

TT,I also forgot to add that anybody looking at a new computer to make sure it is Vista ready.Vista is the new shoftware from Microsoft that will replace Windows after the first of the year,and if not set up right will not run this software.Also if you buy from Lynn Cowden you will recieve a certificate for the Vist software for free.About a $250.00 freebee.

As for me I just upgraded to the new Apple Macintosh IMAC 20".

I have been a Mac person since my first computer.

The nice thing is you get the speed and easy to use Mac. With the new Intel chip you can also load Windows XP using a program called boot camp and actually boot into Windows (if you want to).

Any other Mac people around??

John V

have several at home. I opted for the 20" imac at work....month later the 24" comes out.

[ QUOTE ]
have several at home. I opted for the 20" imac at work....month later the 24" comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have know that you have an Mac with I-sight by your avatar.

One of the fun options with that camera set up.

If you want an older Gateway computer that is slow and makes you curse the day you were born every time you use it, then mine is for sale!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom