Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Old buck needs tiller advice

Old Buck

Life Member
OK, you guys have convinced me that I need still more equipment to put in food plots. What can you tell me about tillers? I've got a AGCO Allis 5670. I think it is 73 hp. What size tiller can I pull? Do I need to look at new equipment or is there good used stuff out there? Advice on brands etc. It will be mainly for food plots. The place I really think it will be great is those small woodland plots and trails that are difficult to disc without creating ridges, hooking trees etc.

Thanks ahead of time. I've really been enjoying following the 'Whitetail managment threads' and learning new stuff all the time. I hope young doe never figures out how much time I spend on this site.

Have fun with all your management plans and good luck this fall!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Old Buck

With that hp, you could pull as large a tiller as you want. I still have a slightly used 73" Landpride tiller for sale up here in Waterloo. Pm me if you might be interested. I'd give you the best price I could. It's a large tiller , but would work great.
Bruce

I had a previous post...Big tiller Food plot monster....with pictures of this tiller. I think it's now on about the third page of old post.

I have a 73" John Deere tiller that I use on my Allis Chalmers D-17 (56hp) and it works fine so would concur with IABruce you could pull whatever you want with your tractor. One note for the type of plots you described is if they are too full of roots you will bang around your tiller and, if there are too many (and too large), could damage it....but I do agree it would be easier to get in there than with a disc, plow...

[ QUOTE ]
With that hp, you could pull as large a tiller as you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! Get the biggest baddest tiller out there!
cool.gif

old buck we did quite a bit of food plot work in your area this year,two different tillers where in action.an 80" maschio and a 60" landpride.they have there place for small plots, i would not recommend for bigger ones,to slow.ok i will start with best brands #1 howard rotovator have seen 40 year old ones still in action today #2 maschio, rotovator copy much cheaper.#3 bush hog #4 all the rest.tiller width is determined by horsepower of tractor for every inch of tiller width you need one horsepower,so if you have 75 hp i would say you could run around 75 inch tiller give or take 5.new or used! i would go new, but if you go used make sure it is from iowa,why because tillers dont like rocks and iowa has a shortage.three things to look at when buying #1gearbox h.p. bigger gear box better tiller,make sure gearbox hp is at least your tractor hp #2 depth of cut, cheap ones dont cut much past four inches the good cut up to nine inches.#3 weight of the tiller the heavier the better, three point has no down pressure just weight of tiller.from the two different tillers i used this year, they both had there place , the maschio 80" 100 hp gearbox weight 1150 was great for crp, straight sod no chemical burndown one pass and insta dirt, it would kill the sod.now the smaller landpride 60" 40 hp gearbox would bring up some dirt ,but it stll wouldnt kill the sod of, it would just regrow back, you would need to hit it with roundup first for good results,but it was great in the timber for those small under the stand plots. i would recommend coltrains just south of albia they carry bush hogs go with the 72" or 80" the ladder if you want to cover your tire tracks.make sure it is the heavy duty one with the 80 hp gearbox.i think it was 2850.00 for the 72" 3250.00 for the 80".hopefully that will answer some of your questions, by the way thanks for your invite to the grant woods seminar, much was learned! happy earthscratching Tim

Great information! Never even heard of Maschio tillers before. No question that bigger and heavier is better. Some you can get heavy duty tines for. I expect that if one does have rocks that a smaller but well built tiller would bounce over them with less damage then a heavy tiller.

The heavier tillers do require a lot more HP but Old Buck has the horses to handle most of them.

I really like the packer and crumbler options of these first two tillers!
waytogo.gif

Maschio Tillers

Howard Rotavator

Land Pride Tillers

Bush Hog Products

As long as we're spending your money- I'd add the name Kuhn to the list. Very nice machine with crumbler attachments as well.

Thanks guys. Great information. I am continually impressed with the knowledge base available on this web site. Now I just have to find the time to study all the information and the money to buy more toys!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Old Buck

[ QUOTE ]
.......and the money to buy more toys!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you paint it we will buy it. Problem solved.

A few weeks ago we were commenting on the generosity and workmanship of Matchedset and Shovelbuck. Mr. Zach, you are in the same category. Your generosity in donating your wonderful works to very good causes is legendary. While at the State Fair, between seed rustlings, I signed up for a limited edition print offered by PF and QF, donated by Old Buck. It is gonna be an awesome piece. If any of you haven’t seen it, and I’ve only scene preliminary renderings, it has something in it for every hunter. I urge everyone to sign up for this print. It’s a good cause and a great piece of art.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom