Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Old man 8 takes a tumble

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
I’ve still been hunting super hard so just getting around to posting this. I passed this deer in 2014. He was one of the videos I posted last year. Anyway, I thought he was a 4 ½ at the time and gave him the pass hoping he would blow up to 150”+ 8 point (deer bucket list). I was surprised to see he did not grow at all this year, especially since it was a great year for “growing deer”. That got me to thinking he was probably older than I thought and had plateaued. I had no history beyond last year to gauge anything off of as that was my first year hunting after moving here.
After seeing him run off several of my younger, genetically superior deer, he found himself squarely on the hit list regardless of score. I would say he was more visible than most deer his age, but was old and smart, and hard to kill. He was aged between 6 ½ and 7 ½ and I am super stoked to have killed a deer of that age class. They are a rare breed, especially near me that saw an estimated 80% of the herd fall to EHD in 12’ & 13’. The real prize to me on this one is his jawbone.
Field%20Photo_zpsovmw4hdl.jpg

1_zpsjcglaow9.jpg

If you build it they will come
This deer proves that you can get deer to relocate. This deer did not live on my farm for most of his life. My farm just wasn’t that great and is still a long way from being where it is going to be. Through numerous habitat projects he became a full time resident this year. I find that as rewarding as harvesting him.
We all hope we remember ever last detail of every last kill, but we don’t. There are certain ones that stand out and we remember more than others. I know this one will be one that I remember, one that stands out. It is my first bow kill as an Iowa resident…... But it shouldn’t have been.
Last year I missed a ~190”. At the time it was devastating. Only a year prior, I could only chase deer of that caliber in my dreams. Growing up in Michigan has provided me a DEEP appreciation for what Iowa has to offer to the avid hunter. Prior to moving, I came here to Iowa as a non-resident a handful of times and I shot a handful of deer that were “Monsters” by Michigan standards (130” 3 year olds). At the time I was completely happy doing so. They were some of the biggest deer I had ever seen. I use to joke to the outfitter that if is kid ever acted up he should send him to Michigan to hunt as his punishment. J
Regardless if your season is not going quite as you hoped step back and realize how blessed we all are. I hope everyone really appreciates the opportunities in Iowa because we are sitting in one of the greatest places in the WORLD for whitetail deer. This place is worth protecting and fighting for. Trust me. Like many others, I have seen the other side.
Congrats to the many successful hunters on this board and good luck to everyone still in pursuit.
It is with sincere gratitude that I say thank you to Iowa and all those that have fought to protect it.
Livin’ a dream.
-Rob

"Regardless if your season is not going quite as you hoped step back and realize how blessed we all are. I hope everyone really appreciates the opportunities in Iowa because we are sitting in one of the greatest places in the WORLD for whitetail deer."

I'll admit, I probably needed to hear that. Vacation was a frustrating week for me this year haha.

Congrats on an awesome 8 pointer! Heck of a deer.

"Regardless if your season is not going quite as you hoped step back and realize how blessed we all are. I hope everyone really appreciates the opportunities in Iowa because we are sitting in one of the greatest places in the WORLD for whitetail deer. This place is worth protecting and fighting for. Trust me. Like many others, I have seen the other side."

I concur with what prior posts have already mentioned, I needed to read the above comments very much. Thanks.

Great buck. Glad to have you as an Iowan.

Top Bottom