Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ole Droppy

OneCam

I felt confident after a summer of getting to know this deer and learning his patterns I was going to be able to harvest him early in the season.
1005n_7-med.jpg

My plans came to an end on the 9/27 when I heard the goose calls at daybreak. As shotguns bellowed from the bedding and feeding areas my heart sank. I knew this was the end of the pattern I came to know all to well. One moment I couldn't wait for the first of October the next I didn't know what I was going to do. I stuck to my plan and gave it a try but no sightings of Droppy. Many teaser class bucks still used the area but Droppy and the other shooters vanished.

This deer was very visible during the summer and right after shedding velvet I feared he may have been poached as the days went on and I had no sightings. I then had a lucky break when a customer of mine told me about a spectacular drop tined buck he had spotted the previous week and he was describing another part of the farm I was hunting.

1005n_1-med.jpg

This was during early muzzleloader season. I sat at this location although a couple of the bucks from his bachelor group made numerous appearances I did not get a glimpse of Droppy and I ended up taking a nice buck on another farm with my muzzleloader.

After countless hunts in late October and early November without seeing Droppy the wind finally turned to the Southeast this Saturday mid morning. I took a shower and headed for a funnel and planned to sit for the rest of the day. I hung my Lone Wolf hang on stand and settled in for a cold long sit. I didnt see a deer all day, then with about 15 minutes of legal shooting time left I heard a snap and watched saplings moving out from a bedding area. I thought here I go - show time.

To my disappointment I watched as another bowhunter snuck through the woods. He went to the field edge twenty yards from me and peaked down the fencerow and quickly kept moving. I looked back in the corner of the field and saw a big buck that resembled Droppy with three does. I assumed the hunter spotted the buck from a gravel road and was trying to stalk him. The hunter was busted before he got a shot the does ran by me and the buck went the other way, even though I could tell one of the does was in heat.

Then another hunter appeared from a small thicket and they met up and walked out. I was in shock. Then disappointment settled in but at the same time I was thrilled because I realized he was still alive. As the event replayed through my mind I started to get very frustrated. The long days on stand were starting to take a mental toll on me. At one point I wanted to give up and take down my stand. I then forced myself to leave the stand knowing I would return in the morning if I left it hanging.

I was in the stand as light started to break the horizon. I waited until things settled down and started rattling. I watched as a large bodied buck in the 130 inch class range came into range but I wanted Droppy or nothing. I returned my attention to the other direction as the buck moved on.

At 7:20am I hit the antlers again throwing bleats and grunts in with it. Just a few minutes went by and I heard a twig snap and footsteps behind me. I slowly turned my head and watched a shooter appear from the over grown pasture heading right at me. I was able to stand and get in position as he came in. At ten yards he turned broadside and started working a scrape. I saw the drop tine at that time and knew this had to count. I drew back found my spot and let my arrow fly. I watched as he took off and could see the iowawhitetail arrow wrap sticking out of the lung area. He ran 50 yards tried to cross a creek and expired. I looked at my phone it was 7:25am. I let out a whoop and called my Dad to share the excitement.

What a rush! I started getting shakey and gained some composure as I lowered my equipment quietly and pulled the stand and climbing sticks and put them away. At 8:00am I walked to him and was holding the rack we all came to know this summer in the Ole Droppy post on the site.

I learned that a series of events can change everything in a moment- if those guys wouldn't have separated him from that doe the night before it's unlikely he would have responded to my rattles. Hunting Droppy took many hours of scouting, soul searching, scheming and perseverance which makes it all that much sweeter. A wise man once said when you least expect it - It happens.
1106droppy3-med.jpg

Top Bottom