Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ole' Moosehunter finally scores !!

moosehunter

PMA Member
I finally dropped a buck this afternoon. It took 2 shots from My trusty Knight. I'll try to post a pic tonight and tell the story tommorrow. I'm to pooped to sit in front of this puter right now.....WHEW

HERE IT IS i HOPE. 11 POINTER WITH A BROKEN TINE.
7402003buck2-med.jpg

Here's the story.......................................

Like everyone else hunting Late season, I wasn't seeing much at all. My kids and I have been hunting mostly field perimeters. A couple days we saw quite a few does but other than that, nothing. So Tuesday my oldest kid Bryan and me left to scout another area I got permission to hunt and to move a stand or two deeper into the woods at the area I've been hunting. We moved one stand to a very good funnel and I let Bryan hunt there. I took my climber and headed off on a hike. I wanted to try to put the climber up a tree closer to a bedding area but was a little concerned about getting to close and jumping deer. Using a stiff breeze as cover I managed to slip in mostly downwind and find a tree that I could view part of the wooded hillside and also a small CRP field on top of the hill.

It wasn't long before I spotted a few does mingling around down in the woods 150 yards away. Then a few more, and a few more after that. I was starting to feel OK about the spot I picked. About 4:45 I spotted a buck slightly closer to me than the doe I had seen earlier and he was walking at a pretty good clip. I quickly guessed him at 125 yards and lowered the crosshairs and pulled the trigger. Have you ever got the feeling you made a poor shot when you fire? That's what I felt just then. I knew it was a marginal shot. In fact I wasn't even sure I hit him. After the smoke cleared I spotted movement and as quick as I could reloaded while trying to keep an eye on the deer. Of course I ended up loosing site of him. So I picked up my glasses and found him again behind a tree. Now he's walking towards me and I can see him limping badly. In a few yards he's gonna ended up in a bunch of tree tops so when he gives me a quartering shot I send another 250 gn sabot on the way and he drops in his tracks.

So now I hurry to reload again while keeping an eye on this critter. All I can see is his head and neck because he fell behind a log. I watched him flop and roll his head for 5 minutes or so, I can tell from my vast experience he is not going anywhere. So I get decide to leave him expire and head back to the truck to get my cart and Bryan. When we get back, the deer is gone. So much for my vast experience. I find where he dropped and picked up a massive blood trail a blind person could follow. But I had to get Bryan back to Calmar for his job so I gave my old buddy Hogie a call and asked if he and Sam wanted to volunteer to be on a drag team. Of course they came along to help.

So we get there and trailed blood for 100 yards and I shine my flashlight ahead and see eyes in front of us. We get to a few feet of him and he jumps up and runs off another 20 or 30 yards and goes down. We can see he's hurt bad though. Now I'm really wishing I would have brought the gun with. This went on a few more times when Hogie managed to sneak in behind him and fatally stick him with a leatherman.

I hav'nt scored him but don't expect he would score real good. Good width, and fairly heavy, but tine lenght isn't great. I've seen this buck several times this year bowhunting. In fact he is the first buck I shot at and missed. I think I also have him on trailcam from last year. I'll try to post that pic and let you decide................

Now I can go with and video my kids..................YEH

alrite, gives me a confidence boost for this weekends hunts!! hopefully tonites festivities don't get out of hand and i miss all of tomorrow huntiin!!

Way to go Moose. I think the trail cam pictures add alot. It must be nice to have your own personal deer drag team.
busted.gif

Congratulations Moosehunter!!!! I would like to have seen the look on your face, when you returned and the deer wasn't laying there dead.
shocked.gif

Way to go!!
beerchug.gif

Way to go moose. What a nice deer.Timing is everything and the hunting time is coming to a close too fast. Way to go!!!!
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Congrats Moose on a great late season buck. I knew the leatherman had multiple uses, but never thought of using it that way. I bet he felt like Steve (The Croc Hunter).
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom