Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

One to Worry About

One more thing about the promotion of the state. How can this guy think the hunting in the state is not being promoted? Just turn on any outdoor tv show and you can see someone hunting deer in Iowa almost every day! You have three people applying for every bow tag! Iowa is recognized worldwide as the best place to hunt whitetails, how can a guy say it is not beinig promoted????

I agree that the other hunting and fishing opportunities could be better promoted but the deer hunting is getting all the postive publicity it can stand!

Here's a true story for you that illustrates the point. The guy who brought Rapala Lures to America (I forget his name) is a multi millionaire and he did it with a remarkable strategy. He didn't give his customers all they wanted. He created a frenzy around the lures and they sold well, then he held out on his dealers. A dealer would order 400 and he would call them back and say I can only give you 200 right now but I can get you 400 in a month. So the dealer would say okay I'll take the 200 now and the 400 in a month. What happend was legendary and is written about in many marketing textbooks. This guy had warehouses full of baits but he doled them out little by litter and kept people panting for them and dying to get them. It worked for several year as the frenzy for these baits went crazy. If you were alive in the 60's and 70's you know what I am talking about. People were calling tackle shops and asking if they had Rapalas. If they did they would rush over there and they would buy twice as many as they would have if they were readily available. He created a perfect storm. He now lives during the summer on a huge houseboat on Lake of the Woods. I've seen it.

Sorry for the long story, but what Iowa has right now in deer hunting is very similar. THink about. It would be a huge mistake to mess with it.

If the state wants more money from out or staters, why dont they release some more pheasants and let them spend the money on the birds. It seems as if there trying to resort to the deer herd because the pheasant population is so bad. This is not the answer our deer herd is becoming well managed and will be destroyed in a matter of no time.

Resident hunting tags are relatively cheap. I'd rather see them raise the resident tag prices than increase the number of NR tags. With the large volume sold it would be minimal to make up the difference. I'd guess around $5.00-$10.00 a tag.

One more thing about the promotion of the state. How can this guy think the hunting in the state is not being promoted? Just turn on any outdoor tv show and you can see someone hunting deer in Iowa almost every day! You have three people applying for every bow tag! Iowa is recognized worldwide as the best place to hunt whitetails, how can a guy say it is not beinig promoted????

I agree that the other hunting and fishing opportunities could be better promoted but the deer hunting is getting all the postive publicity it can stand!

Here's a true story for you that illustrates the point. The guy who brought Rapala Lures to America (I forget his name) is a multi millionaire and he did it with a remarkable strategy. He didn't give his customers all they wanted. He created a frenzy around the lures and they sold well, then he held out on his dealers. A dealer would order 400 and he would call them back and say I can only give you 200 right now but I can get you 400 in a month. So the dealer would say okay I'll take the 200 now and the 400 in a month. What happend was legendary and is written about in many marketing textbooks. This guy had warehouses full of baits but he doled them out little by litter and kept people panting for them and dying to get them. It worked for several year as the frenzy for these baits went crazy. If you were alive in the 60's and 70's you know what I am talking about. People were calling tackle shops and asking if they had Rapalas. If they did they would rush over there and they would buy twice as many as they would have if they were readily available. He created a perfect storm. He now lives during the summer on a huge houseboat on Lake of the Woods. I've seen it.

Sorry for the long story, but what Iowa has right now in deer hunting is very similar. THink about. It would be a huge mistake to mess with it.
thats a great point:way:

I would like to see the title of this thread changed from "One to worry about" to "One to DO SOMETHING about".

There is a quote floating around the ether that I hesitate to use because it is hearsay. I try to deal in verifiable facts and I’ll warn you this rumor is unverified. The quote is attributed to the new Director of the DNR. He reportedly/allegedly stated:

" We have the money, and we are going to turn the bottom two tiers of Iowa into a deer and turkey Disneyland"

I’ll leave it up to you to decide what he means, but to me it ain’t good. So instead of making the IBA stand against the wall, let us once again stand on the wall to protect the hunters of Iowa.

Wow I love the way some of you think. Instead of 2 tags you want 3 for residents. No more for the non residents. Do you seriously believe that adding 10.00 to a resident tag makes up for the difference of adding more NR tags would. NRs not only spend a fortune on a tag but we buy preference points, we stay in motels, we eat in restaurants,we buy fuel, and we shop in the local stores adding MILLIONS to the Iowa economy. Talk about SELFISH.
Add an extra tag to every resident and you won't have to worry about it because the population will get crushed. Add a couple thousand NR tags and what do you lose ? At 5-8% success rate that's only 50-80 deer. Face it guys it is NOT the NR hunter that you don't want but the people like the Laskoski's and all the rest of the guide services that are buying up farms like crazy and posting land that you USED to be able to hunt and now no longer can. Most of us NR hunters are just working stiffs like you that would like a chance at an Iowa monster. You are taking your anger out on the WRONG people. I'll bet EVERYONE of you has a story about a farm you used to hunt that you can no longer hunt because it has been purchased/leased by someone that want's it to sell hunts on/or lease to hunters. It is not the NR hunters who are hurting you but the greedy guide service/lease company's. Think about it, how many farms do Lee & Tiffany own now in Iowa. I am not bashing them as I enjoy their shows, it is just an example that most of us see regularly because they are on TV talking about all the farms they own. Flame away boys !!!

There is a quote floating around the ether that I hesitate to use because it is hearsay. I try to deal in verifiable facts and I’ll warn you this rumor is unverified. The quote is attributed to the new Director of the DNR. He reportedly/allegedly stated:

" We have the money, and we are going to turn the bottom two tiers of Iowa into a deer and turkey Disneyland"

I’ll leave it up to you to decide what he means, but to me it ain’t good. So instead of making the IBA stand against the wall, let us once again stand on the wall to protect the hunters of Iowa.

I had heard this as well, so I will elaborate a bit. The reasoning behind this that the DNR has lost control of being able to manage the southern 2 tiers due to all of the outfitters and private land owners. So they want to make an example out of them. Unfortunately they seem to overlook the fact that by giving out these extra tags it will effect the whole state. This is the kind of shit that we are dealing with folks, and regardless of whether you support the IBA's decision on the baiting ban, Bonker is dead on that we need to stand together now! This year is going to be a banner year in the decisions that get made and we need to be a major voice. The DNR has monetary needs and they are going to do what it takes to find the extra funding, it is becoming more clear by the day that this is not a quality or quantity thing it's a money thing.

Wow I love the way some of you think. Instead of 2 tags you want 3 for residents. No more for the non residents. Do you seriously believe that adding 10.00 to a resident tag makes up for the difference of adding more NR tags would. NRs not only spend a fortune on a tag but we buy preference points, we stay in motels, we eat in restaurants,we buy fuel, and we shop in the local stores adding MILLIONS to the Iowa economy. Talk about SELFISH.
Add an extra tag to every resident and you won't have to worry about it because the population will get crushed. Add a couple thousand NR tags and what do you lose ? At 5-8% success rate that's only 50-80 deer. Face it guys it is NOT the NR hunter that you don't want but the people like the Laskoski's and all the rest of the guide services that are buying up farms like crazy and posting land that you USED to be able to hunt and now no longer can. Most of us NR hunters are just working stiffs like you that would like a chance at an Iowa monster. You are taking your anger out on the WRONG people. I'll bet EVERYONE of you has a story about a farm you used to hunt that you can no longer hunt because it has been purchased/leased by someone that want's it to sell hunts on/or lease to hunters. It is not the NR hunters who are hurting you but the greedy guide service/lease company's. Think about it, how many farms do Lee & Tiffany own now in Iowa. I am not bashing them as I enjoy their shows, it is just an example that most of us see regularly because they are on TV talking about all the farms they own. Flame away boys !!!

Who do you think the greedy guides are selling the hunts to? Mostly NR. Doesn't allowing more NR hunters mean more land leased up?

They should do away with nonresident tags all together and raise resident tags to $200.00 each. Then they would have the money, and the residents that could afford it could kill all the deer.

For those NR hunters who actually feel that they are contributing $MILLIONS to the Iowa economy that takes a lot of gas and pizza in a week. With our drastically declining harvest and population numbers and a success ratio of only around 30% for resident hunters, and the ever increasing access problems for resident hunters, how can an increase be justified now? As for the dollars if they increase the NR tags by 6000 and at $500 per that is $3,000,000.000 dollars. Conversely if the IDNR raises resident licenses by $5.00 for approximately 350,000 licenses that only amounts to $1,750,000.00 or just over half of the revenue increase the other way. It becomes a battle of dollars and the residents loose because even though they can buy lots of tags for lots of seasons, they can't find good land to hunt because much of it is being bought or leased by NRs or by outfitters for NR hunters. An increase in NR tags with all of these other issues like declining harvest numbers, currently only 121,558 total deer when in the past there were nearly that many killed in the first shotgun season alone, would be very ill advised in my opinion.

Who do you think the greedy guides are selling the hunts to? Mostly NR. Doesn't allowing more NR hunters mean more land leased up?

EXACTLY. Totally flawed reasoning from NY.

Spot on. More NR hunters mean more land purchased for outfitting. 6000 NR any sex tags is plenty.

Bonker, Dbltree, or someone in the know...

What do you need from us drones who would like to be more involved but are limited for whatever reason? Is it phone calls/emails/etc. Can you put us in touch with the people who need to here resident opinions?

If it appears I am looking for the easy way out I am, but IMO the last thing we need is more NR hunting, ecspecially in "Disneyland"....

Let em go to Missouri.

Seems to be no stopping the push for these changes. They come back every year. It will be hard to swallow, but maybe,,after deer numbers and quality are torn apart. Iowa won't be in the lime light anymore, and the frantic sell will die away. Then maybe deer hunting will gradually recover. Not the reason to put up a good fight though. Makes you sleep better at night, know you tried.

What do you need from us drones who would like to be more involved but are limited for whatever reason? Is it phone calls/emails/etc. Can you put us in touch with the people who need to here resident opinions?
Join the Iowa Bowhunters Association. They have a lobbyist and they will definitely fight against a NR license increase.

Hunting is recreation, not a business. Yes, there is a hunting industry made up of manufacturers, retail and guides and outfitters. The DNR should not be involved in that business. Their job, as far as deer go is to manage the herd in a way that balances the needs of hunters, farmers and all others concerned in a way that keeps everyone happy, at times that's a very fine line to walk. They were not created to promote tourism in Iowa or support guides, outfitters, real estate salesman or anyone else with a financial interest in hunting.
I don't have a problem with limited NR's coming here to hunt. What I do have a big problem with is the DNR exploiting a limited resource at the expense of the resident hunters of Iowa.

Last edited:

Misdirrected first paragraph I think and pretty well stated second paragraph. Iowa residence have always had access to plenty of tag and I don't think anybody is seriously looking to change that.

The average Joe NR is getting burned and priced out of the market. One thing I will say is anything we as residences can do to slow the commercailization of this sport the better for average Joe hunter everywhere. As of right now the resource belongs to Iowans and I believe the influence on how it is used should stay with the resident hunters. If we could have our cake and eat it too this would all be very easy.

Bonker, Dbltree, or someone in the know...

If it appears I am looking for the easy way out I am, but IMO the last thing we need is more NR hunting, ecspecially in "Disneyland"....

Let em go to Missouri.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32875

Call the house and senate Natural Resource Commitee members. Call your Represenatives.

Top Bottom