Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Open Letter from a Non-Resident.

S

SCbowhunter1

I really do not like to weigh in on how another states manages it natural resources because doing so seems like telling someone else how to arrange the furniture in their home. However, I would like to share a comparison of hunting in a state where leasing has been a staple of hunting for decades. In South Carolina where there is no cap on non-resident hunters they make up 12% of all deer hunters. In SC $800-1200 per season will buy you a membership in a hunting club with several other members and the group will average 70-100 acres per member with a majority of ground not producing any serious amount food or cover for deer.

Here are some numbers I put together in a spread sheet a few years ago. I gather the stats for each state from "The Deer Almanac" then compiled them to find the average for each region.

Southeastern:
Deer Harvested Per Hunter: 1.26
Acres per Hunter (of forest land): 85.5

Midwest:
Deer Harvested Per Hunter: 0.63
Acres per Hunter (of forest land): 27.3

In the South where leasing and no caps on non-resident are prevalent the average number of acres per hunter increase as hunters number dwindle each season. If you live in the South it is easy to see the transition of whitetail hunting changing from an average joe sport to a more expensive endeavor each season. In the Mid-West the denisty of hunters are much greater and will provide for a more secure future and voting presence.

The North American Conservation Model, which is the most ingenious and affective system ever devised to manage wildlife game is based on the premise of wildlife placed in the public trust of the state. In this system each citizen of the state are equal owners of the wildlife. Unlike Europe where wildlife is privatized and owned by landowners. In America the guy living on a post stamp has a vested interest in wildlife and is granted the privilege to hunt by the state. This makes for a much greater concern among all citizens for wildlife conservation. The push we see around the country to remove caps on non-resident hunters is no more than a push to undermine the North American Conservation Model. The push most often is based solely to make profits from another state's (citizen own) wildlife which took years and millions of dollars to restore.

Having hunted Iowa twice now there is no comparison to any other states I have hunted. I have hunted the Golden Triangle of Illinois which is a circus show in November. I could only imagine being a local there after years of being part of the whitetail restocking and watching the deer herd grow then being reduced to a spectator as the state leaders sold their resources out to non-residents via new rules.

In SC I see the North American Conservation Model chipped at every season with the push for even a longer rifle season, no limits on bucks and baiting allowed by few hunters controlling more land. The excuse with every new bill is "I should be able to do what I want on the land I own or lease". Controlling land leads many to believe they also own the wildlife the resides there or just passing through without any regards to management of the entire resource.

Iowa is the Whitetail Mecca for a reason, now that all has been established many want to capitalize by changing the rules to suit them. I impatiently wait every 3 years to draw a tag, I selfishly would like to see the non-resident tags cheaper and more of them issued. However, the cost is well worth the opportunity and I know that more tags would degrade the value of a tag because the increase opportunity will degrade the quality of hunting along with limited access. I am grateful for opportunity the Iowa extends to me, if I were a resident I would fight not to change a thing and certainly against outside influences lobbying to capitalize on what you have built.

You have a very well thought out position, which I happen to agree with wholeheartedly.

Although you say you do not like to provide input on this topic, I have to say this post is one of the more well written and logical statements I have read on the topic.

Thanks for your post and thanks for your long-term view of what's best of the whitetail of Iowa.

hoofline.gif

Thank you for your positive input SCbowhunter1. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Just a thought? If you would PM me your name, address, and perhaps phone number I would copy and paste you post into an email and send it out to all our Resources Committees, DNR and state reps.

Your choice, but it would be helpful. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thank You Again.

hoofline.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
rwyllie@iowawhitetail.com

I like your thought out response. Unfortunately it does not address where the money is going to come from for the states budget shortfalls. The state does not care about someones hunting experience, only greenbacks.

Thanks for the awesome letter Andy. Take Blake up on his offer. I think a letter like this would have an impression on those that make the rules and laws.

hoofline.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moosehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the awesome letter Andy. Take Blake up on his offer. I think a letter like this would have an impression on those that make the rules and laws. </div></div>

Perry,

I understand that Andy is a friend of yours. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

He did send me his name, address, and phone number. I will be sending his letter to every one of the state reps, NRC, and DNR people that I have email addresses for.

Thank You Again Andy. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
rwyllie@iowawhitetail.com

Top Bottom