Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Open letter to the Governor

4evernovember

Below is a copy of the letter I am sending to Governor Branstad. Preaching to the choir accomplishes nothing. To all who may read this open letter on Iowa Whitetail website, and agree with it in whole or in part, I urge you to contact the individuals listed at the close of this letter. Be factual and respectful in voicing your opinion.

Contacts:

Governor Terry Branstad
1007 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50319
https://governor.iowa.gov

Marcus Brandstad, DNR Wildlife Commissioner
107 East Fifth Street, Suite 202
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
marcus.branstad@dnr.iowa.gov

Senator Charles Grassley
721 Federal Building
210 Walnut Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
https://www.grassley.senate.gov

Dale Garner, Iowa DNR Wildlife Bureau Chief
Central Office
Wallace State Office Building
502 East Ninth Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0034
Office: 515-281-6156
Cell: 515-238-3181

December 26, 2013

Governor Terry Branstad
1007 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50319
Dear Governor Branstad:

As a landowner (370 acres) and avid bowhunter in southern Iowa, I urge you to reconsider your stance on acceptable numbers of whitetail deer in Iowa.

In signing executive order no. 71, which allowed you to circumvent the DNR’s plans to reduce antlerless tags in many counties, which was based on sound wildlife management, you have in effect rendered these wildlife experts null and void. You are doing a disservice to Iowa sportsmen and future nonresidents wishing to hunt deer in this great whitetail deer state.

In making your decision, did you confer with DNR officials, specifically the Wildlife Chief or biologists to determine the current state of our whitetail deer herd, both in numbers and health? Did you consider the possibility of another EHD outbreak in 2014? Did you consider the possible discovery of CWD (chronic wasting disease) in free-ranging whitetails? In the case of CWD, it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when, because it is in the states surrounding Iowa. These unknowns in wildlife management are for the professionals in the DNR to consider.

As you are probably aware, Iowa suffered an extreme outbreak of EHD (Epizootic hemorrhagic disease) in the summer/fall of 2012 with 2,974 reported cases. In 2013, we are once again being hit with EHD with 1053 reported cases. Reported cases are miniscule compared to actual losses. If you were to figure a 10% reporting rate from landowners this amounts to 40,270 deer lost to EHD in 2012-2013. Nobody will ever know exact figures. I do know that EHD killed approximately 60-70% of the deer on my property, as well as my surrounding neighbors comprising nearly 6,000 acres, based on trail cameras and personal observations by many bowhunters with decades of experience.

The liberal use of antlerless tags needs to end if we are to retain a huntable population, resulting in an enjoyable experience for all sportsmen. You risk alienating sportsmen there by losing their vote, or at the very least, their vote of confidence.

I realize there are many lobbyists out there representing Farm Bureau, insurance companies, tree farmers, orchard owners, and a multitude of others who are looking out for their company’s best interest. I can imagine the pressure! However, these lobbyists have no vested interest in the welfare of whitetail deer. We as hunters do. Deer hunting generated $297 million dollars in 2011 for Iowa’s economy. In closing, deer management has become infused with politics. If this is the future of the whitetail deer going forward, I ask that you approach it in a bipartisan manner while working with all concerned. Please let the DNR and hunters have a voice, too! Save us a seat. Just not in the back.

I thank you in advance for hearing me out. These are my own thoughts and opinions and everyone is entitled to one.

Very respectfully yours,

Tracy Templeton
Blakesburg, Iowa

cc: Senator Charles Grassley
Dale Garner, Wildlife Bureau Chief
Marcus Branstad, DNR Wildlife Commissioner
http://www.iowawhitetail.com

P.S. Below are a few issues I would like to comment on for whatever it is worth. Just my opinion.

About Myself

I have lived in Iowa all my life. I began bowhunting in 1973 at the age of 16. I have been managing my farm for habitat, deer, and other wildlife for the past 20 years. It is a labor of love. Bowhunting to me has become secondary to habitat work. My favorite bowhunting and fishing partner is my wife of 36 years. I was fortunate to find her. We have three grown daughters of whom we are very proud.
I have no ties to anyone in the so-called hunting industry. I do not benefit financially whatsoever from the work on my farm as related to deer.
After experiencing the worst bowhunting season in 20+ years, and hearing the same from many boots on the ground, so to speak, the outlook on next year’s season is disturbing. That is what prompted me to write the open letter to Governor Branstad.

CWD

As you are aware, CWD was confirmed in a Davis County captive deer herd in 2012. While not yet detected in the wild population of deer in Iowa, I am sure it is just a matter of time. CWD has been confirmed in free-ranging deer in Wisconsin, Missouri and Illinois. In Wisconsin, it is now estimated that CWD infects approximately 20% of the adult bucks and 9% of adult does located in the Western Wisconsin CWD management zone. Infected deer equals dead deer.

With continued pressure on the doe population to reduce numbers even lower, we are setting ourselves up for the perfect storm, so to speak. Add in the possibility of more EHD in 2014, CWD in the future, and some hard winter weather and the outlook is not good.
We As Hunters

We as hunters and managers of this resource stepped up to the plate when called upon to reduce doe populations for the betterment of all. This included farmers, hunters, habitat, and the deer themselves. We did our part bringing numbers down to the 1990’s level, and even lower in some counties, as requested by the DNR, however the quotas for antlerless deer mostly remained the same or decreased slightly. We as hunters are finding the deer numbers unacceptable in the season of 2013-2014. As you know, deer hunting is the only viable way to control deer numbers. We answered the call once but, I doubt we will be so quick to respond the next time. You know what they say. Fool me once shame on me…….

Dollars Generated

Deer hunting in 2011, generated nearly $297 million dollars according to DNR figures. One overlooked or misplaced figure (I’m guessing) is money spent by hunters and landowners, like myself, on habitat and food plots for all wildlife. This includes everything from seed to fertilizer, fuel, machinery, tractors and more. I won’t admit how much I spend on this hobby, however, is this money figured in with money generated by deer hunting? I doubt it. There are hundreds of us who plant something for deer and turkeys these days. If this money spent is being figured into the agriculture side of dollars generated for Iowa’s economy, it should be corrected because it is a very large amount of money statewide. It would also be ironic because Farm Bureau seems to be a deer hunter’s biggest adversary these days.

Deer Numbers

When deer numbers become unacceptably low to hunters, everyone loses. A trickle becomes a stream as hunters hunt less or quit altogether. Money spent on countless items of hunting gear, tags, fuel, deer processing, bows, guns, and ammo. The list is almost endless. If we aren’t enjoying ourselves any longer, we quit spending money. Look to the past as far as pheasant and quail are concerned. It was a huge loss for the state monetarily as well as sportsmen. Deer tag sales helped fill the revenue gap for the state, but now those are shrinking. They will continue to shrink with fewer deer hunters spending less money. Not good for Iowa’s economy, and not good for the DNR, which relies on money from tag sales to partially fund the Wildlife Division.

January Antlerless Season

When this season was first implemented it was very much needed. People like myself used this season carefully to control the number of does on our properties. Hunters could concentrate on does during this time. However, many bucks have shed their antlers during this time, resulting in a few hundred shed-antlered bucks being shot. With lower numbers of deer now, is this season still necessary? If not, it would prevent the shooting of many shed bucks unnecessarily. If it is determined fewer antlerless tags are needed next year, could those tags spread across the other seasons equally? Just a thought.

Nonresident Any Sex Tags

These days word travels at light-speed via the Internet. Hunters from across the nation are all too well aware of the situation facing the trophy deer in Iowa. EHD has taken its toll on the trophies. While not all deer hunters are trophy hunters, those who travel to Iowa mostly are. When the supply of quality bucks falls (which it has dramatically) demand is sure to follow.

Depredation Tags

Wikipedia defines depredation as “damage to agriculture attributed to animals regarded as pests”. The majestic buck has now become a lowly pest to be disposed of. I understand these tags are farm specific, but with lower deer numbers overall, will tag numbers allocated come down as well? How many deer and how much crop damage is acceptable? This depends who you ask. In regard to crop damage, insurance usually covers that if purchased by the farmer. The same applies to auto insurance with respect to car-deer collisions. The cost of claims to insurance companies is passed on to consumers in higher premiums. I understand that. Once we are free of this vermin will our (farmers and motorists) insurance premiums come down? I think the answer is a resounding NO! Hopefully it would keep premiums from rising, but when has that ever happened?

Governor Tags

I realize not all of these tags go to people in the hunting industry. However, those that do receive them are thankful I’m sure. With respect to those in the hunting industry, however, they get to hunt probably the best state in the nation. They film their hunts, all the while receiving exposure for themselves and products they are endorsing, which seems to be most of the show, to further their careers when aired. I know that the idea in the beginning was to promote Iowa’s excellent deer hunting, however, everyone in the country now knows Iowa is, or at least was until this year, a destination for trophy whitetails. These people will come here even if they have to draw a tag as a nonresident. This portion of tags has done its job all too well. Just an opinion.

Originally Posted by Fishbonker

At that particular time the DNR wanted to increase NR tags to an almost unlimited number, NRLOs could get as many tags as RLO. They also wanted transferable tags. Bottom line it was all about the buck$ not the biology, not the resident hunters, not the Iowa traditions just the greed of the governor who appoints the Director of the DNR who gave his subordinates their marching orders. The only reason they (Director of the DNR and the governor) didn't get their way was our elected officials said no way, we will remain in control of the quotas. I really don't think we want the DNR to be the final say because we have no recourse. In this instance the government worked as it should with checks and balances.

I was not a bone fide member of that committee but attended all the meetings. It was quite contentious at times. You had the "good guys" from the DNR bumping heads with the "bad guys" from the DNR, at the peril of losing their jobs. You had the IBA bumping heads with FB and a couple of other groups. Randy Taylor was the IBA rep. I've known Randy a number of years. I have never seen him get angry, but I did see his face get a little red at times.

IIRC, fall of 2008 into spring of 2009.

Tracy,

Did you see this over in the Legislative Forum?

Having the DNR in charge of the total number of doe tags as a management tool but not completely in control of all licenses or the quota.

Thoughts?

Tracy,

Here is more, it's making sense to me, narrow the focus. I am jumping between forums posting these guys response's...

Here is another, confused yet? Sorry

EXACTLY!!!! How do you make one letter or petition address ALL the issues and send it to ALL the people involved in the decision making and get any results. Personally, I don't think you can. If the DNR didn't need to make quota decisions based on money, you could depend on them to do the "right" thing for the deer herd. As long as politicians have a hand in it, special interests, and again; money will be the main driver. In my humble opinion, getting the sustainable funding in the form of a sales tax increase is the only way to begin to unravel the knots that form whenever you talk about deer management. Narrow your focus and talk to you senators and representatives. Put yourself in a politician's shoes. If you get a petition asking for several things at once, you can't begin to take action. But get a petition aimed at ONE specific thing and you can focus on it.

Tony.......I agree. The focus should be narrowed, first and foremost, on significantly decreasing the number of doe tags in the state.

Well done man, I'm impressed. I've taken action many times as well and folks need to do what u did or not complain. Very well done. The most effective thing is for them to receive multiple #'s of contributions like urs. Well done.

Nice job Tracy! They should have never approved a late rifle season in Iowa! Many bucks have needlessly died!
Your favorite NRLO,
Scott

4evernovember--if you have time can you give us examples of what you are seeing on your farm?

370 acres is a nice chunk! What have you witnessed as far as deer numbers and what is the main cause... EHD...too many deer shot?? I'm curious

Last edited:
Sent a note to Dale today, he sent this back:

Tony,

We will be hosting ICN meetings in February and those interested in expressing their concerns should show up at one of the ICN meeting places. We’ll put a press release out and have it on our website later in January.

Dale

DALE L. GARNER, Ph.D. Wildlife Bureau Chief

I think we can all agree that sooner or later the government is going to screw things up. During the 80's and 90's the IDNR was doing a great job expanding and managing the deer herd in Iowa. I'm not sure what began happening after that. From 2000 on I have slowly watched the deterioration of a once wonderful resource. It is my opinion that a combination of factors have lead to the demise of the whitetail herd as we once knew it. We can't control all the lobbyist groups that want these deer dead. They are strong and they are powerful. From time to time we can vote in or out certain legislatures who do not side with the hunter. A risky proposition, to say the least. We can try and blame the farmer who sees the deer as a nuisance, a profit eater. They all want the deer dead.

Here is the kick in the crotch, they are using us to do the killing for them and we are paying for that privilege. Thats right, think about it. We hunters are the greatest conservationists in the state of Iowa. We are the ones who control how many deer get shot. Not Farm Bureau, not the governor, not the farmers or anyone else. They know that if they give us the tags and give us the extended seasons, we are going to kill. Plain and simple.

It is time for us to get together and set our own personal limits. I don't care if I can get tags for a million does. From this day forward I am setting a personal bag limit that consists of 1 trophy buck, 1 management buck and as many does as I need for my own personal consumption (that means 2 maybe 3 at the most). This is on my own personal land of several hundred acres, similar to 4evernovember. Of course I have a friend or 2 that I let hunt and I will let them shoot a deer or 2 for their own personal use. Other than that, I'm out. I'm done killing for the State of Iowa and all it's lobbyists.

I have never hunted the late rifle season nor have I ever given anyone permission to hunt during that season. It should be abolished immediately. If you can't fill your freezer with meat in the 3 1/2 months the state gives you til late Muzzleloader, you don't need to be shooting at any deer.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to hunt, it just makes sense if we hunters take less, there isn't much the State can do.

Weren't farmers in select areas given the green light to kill as may deer as they wanted a few years back? It was summer and I believe rifles and night hunting were allowed.

I would assume they would do this again if they felt it was necessary.

A few thoughts.....

4ever, great work with your letter.

If we could get all the folks who complain about our low herd numbers on these internet sites to spend that same amount of time typing and complaining to politicians, we'd have quite the voice wouldn't we?

Unfortunately most of our deer hunters don't know or care enough to do so. Ultimately, the tags absolutely need to be reduced to bring our herd back to a "fair" balance.

In the mean time, bend the ear of every person you hear complaining about the low herd numbers. It's time to be conservationists, not the tools of farm bureau and Branstad.

I will say one positive thing about the state of our herd. We have shown the people who try to exploit Iowa deer hunting that we don't need more NRs to manage the herd. That argument is gone from their bag of tricks........

A few thoughts.....

4ever, great work with your letter

I will say one positive thing about the state of our herd. We have shown the people who try to exploit Iowa deer hunting that we don't need more NRs to manage the herd. That argument is gone from their bag of tricks........

I knew this would come up, like Obama blaming Bush
You just couldn't resist!

It's the NR fault

I knew this would come up, like Obama blaming Bush
You just couldn't resist!

It's the NR fault

I don't feel our herd situation is the NRs fault. It's Branstad and Farm Bureaus fault in large. Politics are managing our herd, not the people who should be. However, the tactic that we need to control our herd or someone else will was shoved down our throats by a number of people, one of them being the Friends of Iowa group.

4evernovember--if you have time can you give us examples of what you are seeing on your farm?

370 acres is a nice chunk! What have you witnessed as far as deer numbers and what is the main cause... EHD...too many deer shot?? I'm curious

Hardwood11.........In my case it was mostly EHD. I used the doe tags to balance the herd on my farm which was sorely needed with about a 1:1 sex ratio. I knew when to back off. The deer flourished and then the EHD hit back-to-back in 2012-2013. I lost 65 deer in 2012 and a few in 2013. Many trophy bucks died. It sounds like a lot of deer, but I have the food and cover to support them. I usually have around 40 acres of food plots. Now, in 2013, the age classes are very skewed. Most of my deer herd consist of bucks that are spikes and forks. There are very few two and three-year-olds and no four-year-olds. There are a couple five-year-old cull bucks. I have very few does and fawns. The whole area was hit very hard with EHD. On an average hunt, you may see six to twelve deer, sometimes nothing, and no shooters. This is on standing cornfields and beans. Sucks to be me as far as deer hunting this year. I have not shot a deer yet this year. Aren't you in Wayne County? I have a friend in Wayne County and he says things are not nearly as bad over there.

65 deer that's unreal

I'd suggest a mention on that in your letter.
That is serious!!

I'm in Warren County lost 7-8 to EHD.
Numbers are still good, but sounds like some counties the deer numbers are low!

Seems like too many doe tags/bonus tags etc... were issued across the Midwest

Last edited:
Top Bottom