Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Open up a season on redtail hawks??

Bowhunting hotty

Hardcore's Girl
In the old days, discussing this with Don's Grandpa, farmers shot these and called them chicken hawks. Game was abundant. Now, there is no game and a redtail hawk sitting on a fence post every 500 yds down the road. Could you imagine trying to shoot a limit of rabbits today or a limit of pheasants; can't be done. Our friends are farmers and they say that redtails sit at the end of corn rows and nail game as they combine. Is the DNR blind to this? Do we need red tail hawks in such high numbers?

IMO, loss of cover is THE critical factor here. With adequate cover, pheasants and rabbits could HIDE from hawks.

There are definitely a lot of hawks out there.

A lot get shot every year as well.

Predator numbers run hand in hand with prey numbers. If there are a bunch of hawks then there are lots of game for them to eat.

Hawks and owls prey on pheasants more than most people think. Back in Highschool I used to own and run a pheasant farm. I had 8 flight conditioning nets and about 8K birds yearly. Birds of Prey have incredible timing on catching a pheasant. I remember seeing quite a few occasions of a pheasant flying near the net at full speed and an owl or hawk reach through the net and catch them, during flight. They'd break their necks usually in seconds, and eventually pull their heads off, since the body wouldn't fit through the net. I would find lots of headless birds in the pen, each year, and usually a 1/2 dozen hawks & owls who got their feet caught in the net themselves. I understand that it's a isolated captive environment, but these pheasants were still protected a whole lot better than any bird in the wild.

Even in the wild, I've seen 2 different occasions of hawks carrying wild pheasants away. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that IMO, there is a bigger link between birds of prey and upland bird decline than a lot of reports I read say. I agree that the loss of habitat is normally the biggest reason for an upland bird decline, but believe the increase of birds of prey have had a noticeable effect.

We can't even get a dove season going here in IA, let alone trying to convince anyone we need a hawk season.

Predator numbers run hand in hand with prey numbers

X2.

See some lynx, you know you have got abundant snowshoes,...see none, yo will likely not see many rabbits either.

Top Bottom