Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opening Morning Limbhanger

Opening morning found me listening to hennedup gobblers gobbling while following a flock of hens going away from my calling. I stayed in touch with the gobblers for the next couple of hours, calling occasionally and getting the gobblers to answer. Even though the hens had taken them several hundred yards away, I felt with the gobbles I got I was still in the game. Around 9:00 the hens got to fighting with the usual cutting and fighting purrs, which in turn cranked up the longbeards. Things calmed again and I called again a while later. At 10:30 the gobblers came over the rise in front of me without warning at 30 yds heading to my right. They're heading southeast, shotgun is pointing north and I figure they will go on south when they get to the fence. I use the 2 ft tall HS blind so slowly managed to get the gun turned around to shoot left handed. I hoped to get a shot at the strutter which was slowly bringing up the rear. As I was moving the gun I lost track of the first bird and to my surprise he had taken a right at the fence and was now closing quickly on me. At around 20yds the blind moved in the wind and up came his head. I was getting the one eye so it was time to get busy and forget about the waiting on the strutter to catch up. After the shot I din't want to spook the strutter for future seasons so I let him watch his buddy flop and waited til he finally went out of sight. I suspected I was dealing with older birds but didn't expect that I had shot my best scoring bird for the second time in 2 years. Last years bird took 2 place honors in the IW contest.
I'll try and post pics otherwise there are 3 pics in the Trophy Turkey album with "06 and 1st" in their names.
By the way the spurs are both 1 1/2".

AGS

This what your looking for??? Nice Bird!!
59206_AGS_Spurs_1st.JPG

59206_AGS_Limbhanger_1st-med.JPG

59206_AGS_Beards_1st-med.JPG

Thanks for the PM Lorin, you're standing in first place at the moment. Congrats.

Top Bottom