Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opinions on age and potential

tlambert

PMA Member
Started getting pics of this buck in 2011. Here he is as a little 10pt in 2011.

2012 he put on a little more and added a nice sticker off his left G2.

In 2012 we started getting pics of him in late November missing his right side already and the guys that own the land next to ours said they hit a nice one with a bow and didn't get it in early season. I never thought it may be him and he held his left side with the sticker until late February.
2013 a buck showed up in velvet with 5 on one side and a big fork on the left. I didn't think much of it til he August when he was full grown and his left side looked very familiar, minus the sticker.

I'm thinking its the same buck and his right side is growing freaking due to an arrow injury from last year. I've been out one night so far and saw him in my food plot right before shooting light. When he bends over to feed he really hunches up so I'm wondering if there's still a broadhead stuck in him somewhere.

I don't get a lot of pics of him. He seems to stay away from cameras once he gets his pic taken. Any thoughts on if he'd go back to normal growing next year if he is still acting injured this year? Thoughts on age? I'm thinking 4.

I would have guessed 2.5 in 2011 photo- so I would guess pushing 5 this year? maybe older and he is regressing? his body doesn't say that but maybe that's due to injury and lack of nutrition this year?

It's tough to say but if I had to guess, solely based off the past couple years pictures I would say he has poor genetics. It looks like in 2011 and 2012 his right side was always a bit "weaker" than the left. In 2011 it appears his brow and both 2's and 3's appear shorter on that right side. In 2012 his left side just overall looks smaller. This year he added great mass to that fork side just never grew much more. I'd say he drew the unlucky straw in the gene pool.

It's tough to say but if I had to guess, solely based off the past couple years pictures I would say he has poor genetics. It looks like in 2011 and 2012 his right side was always a bit "weaker" than the left. In 2011 it appears his brow and both 2's and 3's appear shorter on that right side. In 2012 his left side just overall looks smaller. This year he added great mass to that fork side just never grew much more. I'd say he drew the unlucky straw in the gene pool.

I remember reading somewhere that this is more common in hilly country, and has to do with deer preferences when bedding. When sleeping the lower side antler gets increased blood flow. Can't remember though if it was something reputable or some bs posted somewhere. So there's my disclaimer.

I'd say definitely the same buck and would say he's five from the series of photos. But as far as letting him go until next year, not sure I would. :grin:.

I've seen their antlers recover from injury formations, but I've also seen them keep the messed up rack... Hard to say if he'll get better or not, but it'd be hard to pass a known 5 year-old. He looks pretty cool as is, JMO, :way:

Top Bottom