Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Orange?

ShellRock

I usually only hunt private land so i dont worry about this but this week I am visiting family and plan on hunting some public ground. When you are bowhunting public ground do you wear orange? Just worried that some idiot is going to shoot anything that moves.

I don't hunt public, but still like to wear orange while walking too n from my stands, on a few of the farms I hunt.. they have a couple other guys that hunt there also... I like to be visible, not just a noise in the brush.. if I can't CLEARLY see what I'm going to draw back on than I don't!!! But u never know about others!

I never wear orange bow hunting. But last year while in my tree stand, on public ground, deep in the timber (200yds from the nearest field) I had a pheasant hunter stand under my tree and yell at me for not wearing orange. After asking him if I was resembling a bird I decided I might wear it while for protection from folks like that.

Just to be curious why would any of you be opposed to wearing orange of some kind while bow hunting? I have had deer walk to with in a few feet of me while wearing orange and it has been "proven" several different time that deer can't detect the color, so why not wear it if there are other kinds of hunters, like squirrel or bird hunters, around? Even if you were worried about the solid color being like a big blob, you could wear the camo orange and still be visible to other hunters and just as invisible to the deer, just for bow hunting. I have worn orange while bird hunting since way before it was made mandatory and have orange squares on my turkey vest and many times wear it while squirrel hunting, but I must admit that I haven't worn it while bow hunting "yet", but having now thought about I just might.

I also have considered wearing a safty helmet. I think for our safty it should be required.

Also trappers should be required to wear steeltoe boots.

I am sure there are numerous other safty items I am over looking.

ironwood said:
I also have considered wearing a safty helmet. I think for our safty it should be required.

Also trappers should be required to wear steeltoe boots.

I am sure there are numerous other safty items I am over looking.

I thought you wore a helmet all the time? :)

Safety and climbing harness aren't required but still ain't a bad idea when a person is 25 feet up in a tree. Maybe some one could design a hunter orange one that could serve both purposes of maybe keeping a hunter a little safer and visible at the same time? Who knew?

Top Bottom