Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ordering Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks

streitl

Anybody order dwarf chinkapin seedlings recently? I'm looking for roughly 50 of them. I've found a few places online but just curious if anyone has any places with good service and quality product.

I grew some in rootmaker trays, planted them in there in fall, doing great last time I dug a few to check. I think I like this method SO FAR. I did not have any success storing acorns from DCO's in fridge with peat moss to plant in spring, even when others did great so not trying that again. If doing from seed, I'd plant in fall in trays OR plant in field in the fall. Do not store them from my experience.

For the trees, I ordered some from oikos several years ago when they went on sale. did great. they were still, hmmmm, $2-3 a tree or something?!?! I think they were rootmaker tray trees though. So, same as I'm growing now. I'd suggest trying to grow them (or heck, I'll give you some if you stop by) or if you got some cash, just try and find some on sale.

Hit me up this fall. I have some from 3 different sources producing and one of them is a central IA source.

Hit me up this fall. I have some from 3 different sources producing and one of them is a central IA source.

That's the ticket guys. I'm telling you, learn the basics of growing from seed. I'd personally learn the rootmaker trays, best quality trees that way and you can baby them. It's easy as long as you don't go overboard like me and have several thousand trees to care for :) I got my seed from a guy that posted on here, I bought maybe 2 lbs or something. Works great. If you for sure only wanted 50 trees for example & would be forever DONE, I would maybe consider springing for the high cost of the trees but even then, I might go with rootmakers.

I appreciate the input fellas. I'll probably start out with buying the small trees, and hopefully most of them make it. Perhaps in a few years, I can get a "grow operation" started and plant my own. Just what I need - another hobby!

Top Bottom