Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Osage orange-Mast tree?

does anyone know what the deer would be foraging for beneath what appears to be an osage orange (hedge) tree? I have watched numerous deer walk to this specific tree,forage around for about 5 minutes and move on.There are no hedge balls on the ground and i cant see through the brush well enough to see what they are eating.when i looked around the base of the tree i didnt see anything that looked appealing. Do deer perhaps seek out the falling leaves from this tree or does anyone have another suggestion. I can tell you that i moved my stand within 40 yards of this tree due to the deer traffic and have since shot 2 more deer,including a 159" 9pt. Whatever the reason i think i will treat the tree to a healthy dose of 13-13-13 come spring. Any thoughts?

Are there still balls in the tree? Have they already eaten what did fall? I see deer eating them but usually not this early.

I have never seen a deer eat the hedge apples, but I have seen them eat the leaves once they fall. I have watched a few squirrels eat the balls.
If your looking for more osage trees, your quite welcome to come to my place and dig up all you want. I usually fertilize mine with either Crossbow or Tordon.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If your looking for more osage trees, your quite welcome to come to my place and dig up all you want. I usually fertilize mine with either Crossbow or Tordon.
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey thanks Joel I'll be out in the morning with my "Bow" saw and uh.... cull them out.
grin.gif

Hey Plotman,

Deer love the leaves of the Osage and will seek them out. I have a couple of these trees in my backyard and you won't find many leaves within browsing height. They will eat the "hedge apples" when food is sparse, usually late winter, cold temps and deep snow.

Good hunting!

Raven

No hedge balls visible on the tree or on the ground.I do not have many of these trees in my timber,most have since been starved for sunlight from the overstory and all that remains is the dead tree that is nearly impossible to break limbs or cut with hand saw for pruning lanes.I guess thats why some are made into bows.Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom