Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Other states stepping up

What I don’t understand is everyone is against the late season high power rifle doe seasons which happen to usually be in the southern counties where most of the NR own their big recreational farms because the doe tags never sell out. Wouldn’t you rather have those landowners be able to get some reduced fee doe tags so they can help manage their farms better which in turn will hopefully not leave tags left over to decimate the shed bucks and what not with those high-power rifles after January 10? Cant have your cake and eat it to there has to be some sort of compromise.

I have always been and will continue to be opposed to all rifles and the late "doe" season in Iowa. If the big land owners condone leasing and NR guiding, then it's up to the landowner or maybe the surrounding landowners to do something about it. I just do not understand how blanketing a significant area of counties with doe tags has anything to do with conservation. I do however, understand the DNR have few choices as they do their best to appease the politicians.

Last edited:
I’m in different camp on license fees and tags. I think they are too high and hope they don’t go up much at all!

Out of state hunts are important in creating a future outdoorsman, young and old. Budgets are tight for many young guys, especially if they have children. I hate to see guys priced out of hunts.

I have been surprised to see the acceptance or even encouragement of pushing fees higher.
I think you have a valid point about how we have become accepting of higher fees. I have not considered a correlation between the higher fees and quality of hunting but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

One thing I do know, our taxes are completely out of control in this state. I never ever thought I would say this but after my daughter is through college and my parents no longer need help we will likely sell out and try to find dirt elsewhere, even if it means managing for 130" deer. I love the southern Iowa way of life but it seems we are being taxed out of our minds and the rural areas are more alienated then ever.

I'm all for landowner doe tags being cheap, especially in the counties with late rifle seasons on the table. I wouldn't want that option where I live in western IA though...our populations are down the tubes right now.

I think you have a valid point about how we have become accepting of higher fees. I have not considered a correlation between the higher fees and quality of hunting but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

One thing I do know, our taxes are completely out of control in this state. I never ever thought I would say this but after my daughter is through college and my parents no longer need help we will likely sell out and try to find dirt elsewhere, even if it means managing for 130" deer. I love the southern Iowa way of life but it seems we are being taxed out of our minds and the rural areas are more alienated then ever.
No joke! My property taxes have gone through the roof...

No joke! My property taxes have gone through the roof...
We are bouncing around the top 10-15 for tax burden in the US and top 10 for property tax. Combine that with the return we get for our investment and I would have to think we are near the top for inefficiency. I keep saying this, but I believe our best scenario is the executive and legislative branches have to have different parties in leadership.

• Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: Dd
Show…
Top Bottom