Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

outdoor channel

MAXRACX

PMA Member
i wanted to take a second to see what you guys... and gals felt about the programming on the outdoor channel. i am a regular viewer. i very rarely miss tues nite pursuits.however, i am becoming tired of all the game farm hunting. it seems that these shows, in an effort to get good "kills" on film , have to resort to "controlled" properties. the shows i enjoy that ,as far as i can tell, have not done this are, primos truth on hunting, wild outdoors, the drury productions, kisky productions. these are quality shows, showing quality hunters on properties that most people can relate to. let me know if you agree or if you think i'm in left field. thanks maxracx

I agree with you on your statement. The types of hunts they have been airing on many of the shows are less than sporting. I do not understand how the popularity has increased for this less than honorable version of hunting. I feel that it takes the challenge out of the sport and puts far too much emphasis on rack size and not the experience associated with the hunt. If the deer know that the feeders turn on each afternoon, I would think that it wouldn't be much of a challenge.

As for the programming on The Outdoor Channel, I would suggest Eastman's Hunting Journal. They seem to thrive on the idea of fair chase.

------------------

d, you are correct eastman does a great job!!! the video he captures is unbelievable. i'm sure i left out others, but i think you know which ones i am refering to.

Having hunted game ranches in Texas, I can tell you they are nothing more than commercial livestock operations with antlers. It's not for everyone. Not much different than going out to a feed lot and taking a domestic cow or hog. The more you pay...the larger the antlers. One area I was in had about 60 head of whitetail bucks (no does) in a 1000 acre fenced in area, livestock feeders with mineral and protien supplements...some of the largest racks you've ever seen.....only $6500 per animal. These hunts are designed for the very wealthy that don't have time in their schedules to hunt....jet in on Friday, shoot your game on the weekend and be back in the office by Monday morning. The outfitter will ship your meat and head mount later.

With that said, don't be under the illusion that the animals just sit there waiting for a hunter to shoot them....they are just as skitish and elusive as the wild ones....only that you have a specified area they are contained in....from that aspect it is fair chase. Tried it once, didn't really know what to expect, not my idea of hunting, but there are people that do it. Game taken on these ranches do not qualify for Boone & Crocket or P&Y.....they are scored in the SCI records.

I have also been on and involved with Television productions such as TNN and others...these shows only have an allotted amount of time to do the filming, then get it back for editing and airing....for every hour they are in the field filming, you are paying for cameramen, film, support personel, meals, motels, travel, etc. If they took the same amount of time most of us do for deer hunting, the budgets would be unbelieveable....game ranch hunting is the best solution for the time and money they have to work with. It's a matter of keeping all this in perspective....you may not agree with game ranch hunting, and that's fine....but the reality of filming a hunt like most of us are use to isn't practical in the TV business. We'll just have to take what we get until something better comes along.

Rembrandt,

I agree with you on the programming. I think what we should be thankful that there are even channels available to us with such content. I have to admit I get as excited as the next when Ted Nugent takes the "lifeforce" out of some unsuspecting animal as it makes its way to the trough.

But the thought that Texas deer caged and fed are as elusive as a native whitetail in Iowa or a muley in the Western States is obsurd. I have only had one experience with a ranch hunt, and maybe it was a bad one, but the challenge in it was zero. I made my kill within an hour of arriving at my location. By the reaction of the deer, they were not nervous at all, just the opposite. The deer were conditioned and familier with the presence of humans, and vehicles. I agree that these types of hunts have their place with people as you so described, but if these animals were just as elusive as native animals, we would all harvest 180 point deer each season, or they would harvest far less.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.

dturner

FYI- Jim Shockey will be placing a new outdoor series on the Outdoor Channel in the near future. I guarantee you will enjoy him as well as his video's.

Check his website out at www.jimshockey.com

dturner,
In my game ranch experience, I don't know if I'd use the term "caged"....these were in a 1000 acre area. The ones we saw were pretty spooky, but that could have been just that particular day. I did see some exotic sheep that didn't look to alarmed at our presence....I've hunted Mulies and Whitetail both that have been unconcerned one day and spooky the next....Think there are a lot of factors that contribute to that degree of wildness. Where did you hunt at? We went to Kerrville, Tx.

I think with the growing popularity of the hunting sport that there is a huge market for these shows and videos. I am a 'purest' when it comes to the sport so I tend to be critical of these type of shows too, but I think some elements of the shows can be informational to hunters. On the other hand it can give newcomers to the sport of hunting a false since of what the sport is all about. I've taken new bowhunters afield and they really don't understand how difficult it is to succesfully pursue these animals. They watch hours of video or shows and see the huge deer taken and they won't settle for anything less when they hunt. I still like to watch the hunts, but the ones that I really don't care to watch are the Texas hunts. They are just to generic.

Hey guys maybe we should get togather and have our own show. I have started to lose some interest in the Outdoor channel myself. I think we should have a show where viewers send in there hunt and edit it a little and enjoy. I would love to see amateaurs filming thre owns hunts and the real excitment that goes with it. Jump in with ideas and you never know maybe somebody will see our request.

TLH here you go this is something for you to start and become famous and ask all of us to come and hunt for you.

later
Doug

PLEASE ADD GOBBLIN FEVER TO YOUR LIST OF FAIR CHASE PROGRAMS--I KNOW FOR A FACT ALL THE FORD RANCH TURKEY HUNTS ARE WILD---NO HIGH FENCES... AS FAR AS SOME OF THE FORE MENTIONED PROGRAMS, WELL LETS JUST SAY THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CORN FEEDING OR CORN CROPS ON THE SOUTH END OF THE RANCH. SOMEHOW ONE OF THE BIRDS WE KILLED THIS YEAR WAS FULL OF CORN--AND IT CAME FROM THE PROPERTY SOUTH OF THE FORD RANCH. LISTEN, DONT ALWAYS BELIEVE WHAT YOU SEE--SOME PEOPLE WILL GO TO GREAT LENGTHS TO SELL PRODUCTS. I SHOT 2 MATURE BIRDS ON THE FORD ,ONE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ON GOBBLIN FEVER, AND I GUARENTEE ITS 100% WILD OVER THE SHOULDER FAIE CHASE. MIKE , M350 OUT

What...you didn't care for Ted Nugent shooting the "white cow" last night?? And if you saw his "elk hunt" the week before, I think I have a new spot for him to hunt. It's near the Iowa-Minnesota border on Hwy 86, and I've seen a couple of HUGE bull elk in that area every time I go by. He'll just have to be careful not to hit the woven wire when he shoots through the fence
grin.gif

I couldn't agree more - there are a several excellent shows on TOC, but also some real garbage.

NWBuck

Wondering why you see Prospecting Shows on the Outdoor Channel???? (still the best thing on, even with the flaws).

The Massey hosts of that show OWN THE NETWORK! I couldn't believe all of the crap on that show until I learned that info.

You can have your own show on the Outdoor Channel. It is really easy. Here's how.

Commit to a year long contract at 3-grand per episode aired. That's all. Oh, you want prime time??? Pay it up front and they will see if they can fit you in.

the average show sponsor kicks in 24,500 per year plus product. That is the ballpark. You want to have your product featured and you to be in the hunt? Agree to that up front prior to signing the contract.

A kill, even a trophy doesn't count in that world if it ain't on film. I could go on and tell people stories about how these shows work that would make you sick.

I dont really care..I watch it cause its something to do...they way I look at it, Here in Iowa, we hunters take larger deer in a much more ethical way that alot of those shows...so congrats to all of you hunters that read this!

As far as the prospecting shows, maybe you guys are being a little harsh. There just ain't nothing like mastering a highbanker or panning for nuggets with a green tuperware bowl from the Gold Fever Prospector's Kit, available for only $29.95!! And to think that another hunting show in its place could possibly be more exciting!!

Hey maxracx,

Do me a favor, get on Jay Gregory's message board and ask him what he thinks of "high fence" hunting (www.thewildoutdoors.com) It will give him a chance to vent a little, he needs it when it comes to this subject. Thanx

Top Bottom