Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Overseeding Winter Rye into Beans

I usually aim for a bushel/acre or a little more.

Same here. ^^ And while I have this work before and rye will grow on just about any surface...I would really try to wait until just before a rain to broadcast the seed. When I have done this and it has not rained for a number of days following...my success has been poor. But almost any amount of rain will send it on its' way.

Being as the beans are broadcasted and not row planted, should I wait a bit before I spread winter rye into the standing beans? When would you ideally spread the winter rye? I could do Sept 1 or Sept 6 or later... Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

I'd up the rate over a bushel if the broadcasted beans are dense. You don't have nice, clean rows for the rye to find. Time around rain and when the beans drop leaves.

It's 3.5 hours away so I have to make a guess. Would you go Sept 1, 6, or later?

That's a make or break question that really doesn't have answer. If planted late- I've seen beans green into October. Now- on average & gambling.... Sept 6 or later. There isn't an answer to this other than - if u show up and beans are green, plan on another trip. If u wanna be safe- go later as rye will germinate late into fall. Very late actually.

That's a make or break question that really doesn't have answer. If planted late- I've seen beans green into October. Now- on average & gambling.... Sept 6 or later. There isn't an answer to this other than - if u show up and beans are green, plan on another trip. If u wanna be safe- go later as rye will germinate late into fall. Very late actually.

I planted it pretty early...April 29. This is in SW WI. I just read an article from mid August that said soybean maturity is 9 days ahead of last year and 12 days ahead of the 5 year avg based on setting pods.

Oh- u planted em- well that helps!! Yep- u'll be good on that planting date of beans. They should be yellowing in next week or 2.

Top Bottom