Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ozonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys if enough of us use it maybe we can fix the ozone layer and kill a few deer at the same time:way::D.

Something's gonna get you one day or another. I would rather it be from doing somehting that I enjoy than a low-flying traffic copter or something!!! I say this as I'm downing a Busch Light with my dinner.....

More folks will die from falling out of stands than from this thing (if any do). Is the fear of that gonna keep you guys from climbing a tree, or do you just pick your dangers?

Ever see those old ads for cigaretts?

9 out of 10 Doctors prefer camels to other brands because they are better for you. Too bad only one of them are still alive.

You can say what you want, show me all the data from "There PHD" and you will never convince me that it is 100% safe, for now. I've seen enough flawed studies to know that anybody can manipulate the data to show what they want. It happens all the time. Not always on purpose, but it happens.

What happens when the wind turns to almost nothing, and the ozone is more or less just floating around you?

I'm sure you will be fine today, but what about prolonged exposure?

Heck, 50 years ago everybody thought asbestoes was the greatest thing since sliced bread. How did that turn out?

Just saying. Personally, it probably works. The unknown health risks worry me.

Two questions for our experts. Why on the U.S. Enviromential Protectional Agency do they reach the following conclusion. "Whether in its pure form or mixed with other chemicals ,ozone can be harmful to health" Actually its a pretty interesting read and very informative. A must for anyone thinking of use one of these.

What do the maker's of the ozonic machine know that the EPA doesn't ?

Is a deer worth actually the potential danger that it could cause someone with health concerns ?

What the hell ever happened to people just HUNTING? Beating animals with your skills, not science?

Last edited:
For me personally, I decided early in this thread that I would not purchase or use this product. Not because I think it is unsafe or that it does not work, but I actually hope that a mature buck that is downwind will smell me. That is part of the challenge of this sport isn't it?

That is why I tweak locations for fixed stands, frequently use a portable set-up, closely monitor winds and thermals, and stay out of my best spots when the wind is wrong. Many of us on this site enjoy success because we do these things (and many others) and the thought that someone can drop $400 on a battery operated device and cut corners is their right, but somewhat disappointing.

WKP has some awesome videos and it is great to be passionate about a sponsors product. This thread shows that there is some potential for controversy surrounding Ozonics. IMHO, I would promote it in a way that is best for your business and not turn off potential video customers when promoting a sponsors product.

Very interesting arguments. I realize they are claiming the ozone is destroying human odor but I am wondering if that is really the case in a tree stand situation. I find it extremely hard to believe that you could feed enough ozone to eradicate human scent completely but maybe enough to mask it if the smell of ozone is more powerful than the smell of human odor.

Todd mentions that the deer act like they smell something, most likely ozone, but don't necessarily spook from it. To me, that says the ozone is not reacting with anything or if it is, it is being fed at a high enough concentration that it is not oxidizing everything in its path to be broken down into odorless molecules by the time it reaches the deer. If it destroys scent, it is no longer ozone so it shouldn't smell.

I would think that would mean that the ozone is acting more like a desentizer than actually removing the scent. If the ozone is more powerful of a smell than human odor I would think the deer wouldn't notice the human odor as much.

What is the first thing that you do when you take a nasty POO in a confined space and don't want others in the neighborhood knowing about it? Well first you courtesy flush of course but after that you are sifting through different perfumes spraying them all about. WALLA, last night's tacos now smells like roses. I am wondering if the same thing isn't going on here with ozone.

Back when I was a kid hunting my grandparents farm every time we had a SW wind the neighbors hog confinements literally almost made it unbearable to sit in a tree. When I look back where I was hunting I can't believe some of the setups I sat in with a SW wind but never had an issue with being winded. I really think the hog POO had a lot to do with that.

Maybe all we need to do is tote in a bag of cow crap with us.

It would be interesting to see what concentration of ozone one of these things are putting out. I am sure the PPM concentration exiting the machine has to be greater than osha limits. If it wasn't, I would think there wouldn't be such strict guidelines when using in a blind. The only part you can twist and use to your advantage is volume. When the world around you is your volume, whatever the machine can put out is just a drop in the bucket.

But hey, we all used to smell gas as a kid at one time or another :)

What would be kind of a cool test for me is to find a big scrape in late october that you know the deer are hitting and put a cam on it. Take a pair worn hunting clothes that would have normal scent on them. Hang the ozone machine up in the tree about oh 7 feet or so then tie the clothes behind the tree and see what shows up. Granted you would have to have the scrape down wind of tree. Then the next test would be to take the ozonics away and leave the clothes and see what shows up. Compare notes and see what the difference is.

Better yet someone with an ozonics machine come hunt with me late season and we will set up on a prime food source with the wrong wind. If we don't get busted, I am sold.

On a Side Note, who wants to make industrial sized ozone machines and put them on the exhaust vents of hog confinements. Millions in the making fellas.........

Last edited:
It's going to be really interesting to get some feedback from the "regular joe's" out there that purchased these things and hunt with them this fall. I'm guessing we're going to hear from a mixed bag of folks that range from "it doesn't work at all" to "it's the best thing out there".
The Ozonics video doesn't do much for me........every person on the video is trying their damndest to sell and promote it.........how is that any sort of factual field trials?

It's going to be really interesting to get some feedback from the "regular joe's" out there that purchased these things and hunt with them this fall. I'm guessing we're going to hear from a mixed bag of folks that range from "it doesn't work at all" to "it's the best thing out there".
The Ozonics video doesn't do much for me........every person on the video is trying their damndest to sell and promote it.........how is that any sort of factual field trials?

Whether this works or not the comments, as Jamie mentions, are going to be the same as for ScentLok, ScentBlocker, etc. Some will think this thing is the cat's ass and some will throw it in the trash.

The safety issue is a big deal to me. Ozonic's may have done their own test and said just open two windows on a ground blind and you will be fine.....ummm not an independent study and there are a lot of guys on here who are smart enough to realize this. I do research for a living, as well as Randy, and I am sure several others on here do. Data gets tweaked, manipulated, forged, everyday. When you are in a competitive field, such as promoting hunting products, you are not going to publish data about your product that says, "no amount of ozone is safe to a human", bottom line it will kill sales.

Not trying to say this thing is going to kill you, but there are a lot of studies that show ozone and the human body don't get along. A guy telling you he felt sick after sitting in a ground blind with a machine isn't a fluke, the stuff is toxic. You might not feel bad after opening a few windows because the acute affects aren't as strong, but the chronic exposure is still there.

Now, using one of these two descent your clothing, allowing them to air out afterwards, might be useful and not dangerous. But I just hate to see people jeopardize their health on something that has been minimally tested. To each their own, just like any other product you buy DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE PURCHASING.

Kratz

So I realize I said I was done with this topic a LONG time ago... and honestly, I dont care anymore about this topic. But I got to thinking this morning on it, and how legal is this?

Prohibited Devices and Activities​
You may not use dogs, domestic animals, bait,
radios, handguns, rifles and crossbows (except as described
below), automobiles, aircraft, electronic calls
or any mechanical conveyance or device to hunt
deer.

I guess to me, its a shaded area, and pry doesnt mean a whole lot..again, I am sure I am over looking it..but has anyone actually asked? To me, I guess its a mechanical device to help ya out?
Again, I dont care, Todd, you can push this all you want, and I hope you sell tons of them. I personally wouldnt ever buy one, because I still feel like a deer will associate them with humans in time. And also the health issues. Its no different than working for a telephone company, Im not going to sit here and tell ya the bad things about my company, because then why would you want to get service with us? I see what you are doing, as do all of us here, thats why I dont get why you are pushing so hard exactly.. but again, as its been said numerous times... To each their own... again, good luck guys... I will be paying way more attention to trail cam photos and the upcoming season rather than this thread :drink1:​

[QUOTE="jkratz5"
The safety issue is a big deal to me. Ozonic's may have done their own test and said just open two windows on a ground blind and you will be fine.....ummm not an independent study and there are a lot of guys on here who are smart enough to realize this. I do research for a living, as well as Randy, and I am sure several others on here do. Data gets tweaked, manipulated, forged, everyday. When you are in a competitive field, such as promoting hunting products, you are not going to publish data about your product that says, "no amount of ozone is safe to a human", bottom line it will kill sales.

Not trying to say this thing is going to kill you, but there are a lot of studies that show ozone and the human body don't get along. A guy telling you he felt sick after sitting in a ground blind with a machine isn't a fluke, the stuff is toxic. You might not feel bad after opening a few windows because the acute affects aren't as strong, but the chronic exposure is still there.

Kratz[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Testing done by the company who stands to make a profit doesn't tell you anything. I have known many PHDs and just because you have one doesn't mean you know what your talking about, especially when you are on the payroll. All this talk about "proven field tested" smells alot like the same campaign scentlok ran. Send this thing to a university for an unbiased test and I would bet you hear a different story.

Good question Flugge.Iowa is pretty clear about useing mechanical /electronic devices to aide in deer hunting.

WKP - Todd said:
Are laser range finders legal in Iowa? That answers your question!

Holy crap. You're so persistent in the defense of these that shovelbuck will end up owning one by the time this thread dies.....If it ever does.

I think the debate has ran its course myself. Either you're for them, totally against them or in-different...Who cares. Do what works for you.

The above post is the funniest post I've read in this whole debate. I like to see there is some humor present in the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom