Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Party Hunting Clarification please.........

IaCraig

3 years ago it was explained to me by a Polk County Game warden that doing a "deer drive" is considered party hunting even if everyone shoots their own deer. He also said that party hunting is only legal during the shotgun seasons, so you can not do deer drives during bow season or either Muzzleloader season.

Assuming he was correct, is this still true? I saw other posts indicating people were doing deer drives during late season ML, and I thought that was illegal?

IaCraig

Whoooeeeee, a can of worms.

If this is true I know lots and lots of hunters who are breaking the law.

I know of nothing that says you can't make a deer drive during ml or bow season.

You can't party hunt, which is having Hunter Bob shoot a deer and putting Hunter Dan's wife's tag on the deer. Hunter Dan's wife had better be in the woods and know something about ML's!!! Everybody in the woods with you better have a tag of some sort.

I know hunters who make drives (while carrying a bow and an unfilled bow tag) to hunters who were on stand with ML's.

Legal? I think so as long as everybody shoots their own deer.

Good one for Blind Sow.

Unless the law has changed since this same topic was discussed at the same time last year, I would say the answer is "NO". Here's a copy and paste on what Blind Sow said about it last year and hopefully he'll get on this topic to help here this year too.

Reference assisting other deer hunters.
The ONLY deer season it is legal to assist other deer hunters is during the two shotgun deer seasons.

During either the bow season or the early/late muzzleloader seasons it is NOT legal to assist in any manner. In these seasons once you have shot and tagged your own deer you are done. Period.

In the 2001 Iowa Deer and Fall Turkey Hunting Regulations and License Instructions booklet it does state on page 4 under HELPING OTHER HUNTERS: "DEER-You may hunt and assist other deer hunters only in the season specified on your license." THAT IS IN ERROR and should be changed in the next booklet.

To reinforce my understanding of this situation I contacted my supervisor, who it just so happened, was on the phone to Lowell Joslin (Law Enforcement Bureau Chief). They confirmed the above.

FYI

TURKEY

A RESIDENT hunter having a valid spring turkey hunting license for any zone or season, may accompany, call for or otherwise assist another hunter who has a valid turkey hunting license for any zone and season. NONRESIDENTS may assist other hunters ONLY in the same zone and season indicated on their license.

FALL TURKEY

Resident hunters with a fall turkey hunting license may assist other fall turkey hunters in any zone throughout the combination gun/bow or archery season. The hunter doing the assisting may not carry a gun or bow or shoot a turkey unless he/she has an unfilled transportation tag valid for that season.

That's a scary thought--someone keeping year old posts.

Deer drives and party hunting are not the same thing. Party hunting allows anyone in the hunt party to shoot someone else's deer as long as it is tagged within 15 minutes or before it is moved in any manner.

As posted above party hunting is legal only for the two shotgun deer seasons--not bow--not muzzleloader (early or late).

Deer drives are legal to use in any season---but anyone participating in a deer drive must be licensed for that deer season---and shoot their own animal.

Hope this answers your question.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

tongue.gif
Doug - Well, I didn't keep the post but I sure remembered it since I sure can be a know it all sometimes and was surprised at your response last year. Saved? It is on this web site and I did a search to find your last response.

Thanks for clarifying Blind Sow, I thought that was the case, but was never certain about party-hunting vs. deer drives. I doubt you'll get this right away but be careful out there tomorrow, a lot of nuts out there. Thanks again.

Thank You Blind Sow, that is very clear and it is the answer I had hoped for. I never did think the conflicting interpretation I got during a Bow Hunter Safety course from a Polk County game warden made sense. And I assure you I did not mis-understand him, because I asked for clarification and he said he considers deer drives as being an aspect of of party hunting and he would write up anyone he caught doing it.

I wonder if he ever has ticketted anyone for it?

Thanks Blind Sow, your answers are always very much appreciated.

IaCraig.

Top Bottom