Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Payton Puts First Longbeard Down (Video Added)

Well after two chances this year with her bow, my girlfriend Payton took her first long beard ever with a gun Saturday. Decided with limited time to head out and try to fill a 4th season tag between rain storms and encouraged her to take the gun and bow. If they were in our lap, it was bow time, if they hung up she could reach out there another 20 yards or so.

Unfortunately earlier this season she missed a bird at 28 yards with the bow after a miscalculation on splitting pin distance, and when a pair of birds closed to 20 yards when the sub-dominant bird caught her drawing on another sit. She was frustrated to say the least, but has one more weekend and a archery tag still to fill! :)

After we caught a short break in the weather, we headed out and got set up on a friend of mine's farm. Set up in a spot where they were able to kill two birds last weekend in a freshly sprouted corn field. As luck would have it, 2 hours into the hunt, this bird got hot right before a brief rain storm hit and let out two gobbles behind us. 30 minutes later she face planted the bird with her gun at 46 yards.

He was super timid and wanted to hang up multiple times, so I gave her the go ahead. She's a fantastic shot, and I have all the confidence in the world with her making that shot. With that pull of the trigger she had her first long beard! (she shot a jake last year for her first bird) I definitely have a keeper on my hands....hard to find someone that wants to share a passion about hunting with ya, willing to put in the work, and wants to learn all the ropes :way:

I'll let the video tell the rest after a short editing session and a uploading to youtube. I'll apologize it may not be production quality footage, but its the best I could do with a old tripod, still camera on camera mode, and still calling/trying to work the bird in. I got the harvest and the reaction and that alone means the most to me. Enjoy!

Update: Video URL - http://youtu.be/fVzHFYvIDKc

Birds stats looked something like this: 19 lbs, 1" spurs, and 9 1/4 beard.

543485_573597345549_138801477_31330902_1881278196_n.jpg

575036_573597370499_138801477_31330904_2114777383_n.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom