Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pee from the Tree

muddy

Just wondering if any of you guys have noticed that human pee doesn't seem to affect deer activity in the area. I had been a firm believer in not peeing near your stand until last year. I had a place that I always evacuated myself at and one day while walking out at dusk I looked up and there was a bit 10 point making a scrape in my "territory"! Of course other animals were probably scent marking on top of me but this year I ran another experiment. My stand was overlooking 3 HUGE scrapes and one night I had to go so bad I could taste it. I went in the scrape and then covered it up with leaves, the next morning I showed up and the scrape was twice as large and you could smell the rut smell from the deer who worked the scrap. That morning I rattled in a couple nice bucks. Was it luck or did the freshly wetted scrape help?!?!

After that day I whizzed in the scrape pretty much every time, I eventually took a decent buck right over the same scrape. What are your conclusions & opinions??

MW

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by muddy:

Just wondering if any of you guys have noticed that human pee doesn't seem to affect deer activity in the area. I had been a firm believer in not peeing near your stand until last year. I had a place that I always evacuated myself at and one day while walking out at dusk I looked up and there was a bit 10 point making a scrape in my "territory"! Of course other animals were probably scent marking on top of me but this year I ran another experiment. My stand was overlooking 3 HUGE scrapes and one night I had to go so bad I could taste it. I went in the scrape and then covered it up with leaves, the next morning I showed up and the scrape was twice as large and you could smell the rut smell from the deer who worked the scrap. That morning I rattled in a couple nice bucks. Was it luck or did the freshly wetted scrape help?!?!

After that day I whizzed in the scrape pretty much every time, I eventually took a decent buck right over the same scrape. What are your conclusions & opinions??

MW
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Muddy I have heard it both ways, some say it doesn't matter and some wounldn't do it on a dare, and go so far as to carry a bottle in with them in case they do have to pee. Personally I'm not going to try it but that is just me. I spend to much time trying to go scent free while I'm out there that I'm not going to try to push fate by perfuming up my favorite stands with my own pee.

Personally scents didn't seem to work well for me this year as they had in the past, and it is just something that sometimes works and sometimes can kill a hunt.

Back to your original question though I did read a article a few years back about a study done with different types of scents. One was doe pee, another buck, another human, and new car scent was the fourth. I think if I remember correctly the doe pee did even worse than the new car scent, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to try it, call me old fashioned. If I'm going to use scents it will be deer urine.

I use to think it made a difference, went so far as to whiz in a ziplock bag when nature called....now I just go where ever and when ever. Actually now that I think about it....been getting bigger bucks since I stopped using the bags.

I like to whiz in the bucks scape just to "Pi$$ em off"....let's him know who the dominant one is in the woods!....heehee

Its funny but,I have a friend that thinks pee will ruin the whole timber.I always laugh at him because I'm always shooting big deer and he's wondering why.I know of 3 times i have pissed out of my tree and 15 to 30 min.later killing nice bucks.I tell my friend that human piss does not have human sent,it is plainly just urine.I know of a veteran hunter that was taking a sh*t in his ground blind and had a doe look in on him.Now he just might be joking with me,But,I'm not joking with you.

I thought it was a fluke so I never have said anything but 4 or 5 years ago I took my young son (8) hunting with me and after about an hour or so he had to go real, real, real bad dad. So not wanting to get out of the tree and go off somewhere to let him pee I just let him go from the limb he was standing on since it was a seldom used stand. While I was sitting there thinking the rest of my night was a waste of time a real nice 8 point walked up to smell the ground where he had went pee 1/2 hour before. So pretty much from that point on I figured it doesn't really matter where you pee.

I have been using my own urine in scrapes for 20 years but I don't talk about it much since a lot of people think I'm nuts for doing it. I have seen some scrapes go from the size of a hubcap to the size of a car hood overnight with the addition of my own urine. (Of course I'm a stud and your results may vary!)

Maybe if a guy is a big enough stud,he can bottle it up and sell it to hunters that just don't have that studly quality in them.

Why not have your lady friends go in a bottle during her special time. She may as well be useful for something that week. Just kiddin....Good way to get slapped. But definitely worth an experiment if you can get a sample in mid november.

I read stories about bucks charging ladies in the woods and it all boiled down to them having their cycle.

A friend said he and his wife went to the zoo in Omaha and a gorilla kept looking at his wife and acting real strange. My buddy thought it was funny the way the gorilla was acting and his wife was grabbing him to go, she knew what was up. My buddy figured it out later, I think while in the hotel room.

I always pee at my truck before going in the woods. Had to take a dump earlier this year and covered it with leaves, a young 8 point walked in, sniffed it and kept right on walking.

Bugle--that was aweful!
wink.gif

Rembrandt--I do recall sitting in a tree stand with a bladder full of coffee this year. Although the stuff goes right though me, the sense of physical gratification I get while outdoors with a belly full of hot coffee is just too much of a temptation. I sat in that tree wondering about this topic myself but did not dare the risk as I was unsure about the scent.

I read ina bow hunters digest that it all come down to hormones. The urine of a human male has the same hormones as the urine of a rutting buck.

Top Bottom