Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pen Raised Birds/Deer Question

mole

I talked with a farmer this weekend and he told me about his brother-in-law who raises turkeys and then lets the loose on his farm. Is this legal? What about other types of birds or even deer? It doesn't sound right to me, I figured the DNR would probably have some sort of rule on the books. Can anyone answer these questions?

mole

I have raised quail over the past few years and had this question also, so I called the DNR. I was told that if I purchased the birds/eggs from someone that was licensed, I could release them as I wanted, but couldn't sell them.So I just keep hatching eggs and releasing onto property that has strict hunting rights so they don't get blasted the first thing.

I've heard that real wild turkey poults can't be raised in a pen. They just go nuts, slamming themselves into the walls until they kill themselves. If that guy's releasing "bronze" domestic turkeys, then he's probably just feeding the coyotes.

Top Bottom