Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pennsylvania Poachers in Taylor CO.

blake

Life Member
From the Iowa DNR:

Two Pennsylvania Residents Plead Guilty to Hunting Violations in Taylor County

After a more than two-year long investigation, two Pennsylvania residents who were part owners of Whitetail Fantasies, a hunting guide business, have pleaded guilty to illegal deer hunting charges in Taylor County.

Pursuant to a plea agreement, David E. Ricker, 48, of Harrisburg, Pa., pleaded guilty to one count of illegal taking of an antlered whitetail deer and one count of fraudulently obtaining a resident deer license. Pursuant to an earlier plea agreement, Jeffrey A. Mealey, 47, of Dillsburg, Pa., pleaded guilty to an illegal possession of an antlered whitetail deer.

Through a jury trial, Ollie Odle Jr., of Bedford, was found guilty of two charges of aiding and abetting of illegal taking of antlered whitetail deer, based upon providing deer licenses/tags to out of state hunters.

The defendants were ordered to forfeit the antlers and pay more than $22,600 in fines and liquidated damages. They are suspended from hunting or obtaining any licenses for one year.

The state of Iowa is a member of the Wildlife Violator Compact, which is an agreement between participating states that prohibits a person whose hunting or fishing privileges are suspended in one state from participating in those activities in 38 other states, including their home state of Pennsylvania.

Conservation Officer Andrea Bevington has been actively investigating cases of non-residents fraudulently obtaining resident licenses and illegally hunting game in Adams and Taylor counties. Changes in the residency laws were implemented in 2009 to identify a growing problem in Iowa of non-residents falsifying records to illegally obtain resident licenses.

“The state of Iowa is known for their trophy whitetail deer. This natural resource attracts people from all over the United States and other countries. Unfortunately these trophies sometimes draw individuals here who exploit the resource and break Iowa laws,” Bevington said.

For more information, contact DNR Law Enforcement Officer Andrea Bevington, 712-520-0508.

Just a side note of mine: Any poachers who has Andrea Bevington watching them is a screwed, the lady is relentless. :way:

This is some of the best news I have heard on this site. Whitetail Fantasies guy hunt all around me. They shot a buck last year that was just under 200 inches. I wonder if this is one that was poached.

One year without licsence is not enough.Should be never allowed to hunt Iowa again.What town would this be near,or area?

I agree. At least a ten year suspension, anyhow. Especially if they are a guide service, they should be banned indefinitely. Too bad the Dnr couldn't seize their property like they do everything else. That would make others think twice.

Interesting...I believe whitetail fantasies has a profile on here...the location on the avatar is PA.

brianbrooks said:
One year without licsence is not enough.Should be never allowed to hunt Iowa again.What town would this be near,or area?

They have a place around Bedford don't they?

Sent from my iPod touch using IW

I don't know much about the guys. Ollie owns the Beemer Oil gas station in town. I agree, the penalty needs to be much worse. They shouldn't be hunting Iowa for at least 10+ years. For many, $10-20 grand is a ton of money, but if you are wealthy already and have a guide service outside of your home state I can't imagine this little hiccup would stop you.

Last edited:
I had heard this story already. The group has split, but still have a cabin and hunt in Iowa. I hunt near a couple of their farms and have met a few of there hunters. I met one of the part owners last year and he was nice enough to let us take our guns in on him to finish off a wounded buck and they helped us drag it out. They seemed like ok guys. That said what some of the guys where doing was wrong and the guilty parties should have probably been hit with bigger fines, and all out of state hunters should never be aloud to hunt in Iowa again. IMO

Top Bottom