Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

People hunting right along our fence lines

Seems to me there must be a fine line here. If a guy is sitting on your fence line and trimming trees on your side.....well then I may have a problem too. but a guy just trying to hunt, perhaps on a fence line, come on. Ive had plenty of stands on bordering propertys for different reasons. Ive had others sit on my fence lines. Are you going to tell me Im suppose to stay back from my fence a certain distance to hunt. Are you going to stay back that same distance on your side? Maby the guys that are getting ulcers over it should buy the neiboring land. Dwilk, Ive been in your shoes, almost everything you described, because the neibors were worried about me killing "their" big bucks. In the end all their antics just screwed it up for all of us. What was once a great section to hunt is now full of nocturnal deer.
Some of you guys that say its unsportsman like to hunt bordering property lines must not have a clue how to hunt. What about the guy that has a 40 to hunt. It may be the best 40 in the section, but how many guys are going to walk in to the middle of their 40 everyday, away from bordering propertys to hunt. Ya it would help the neibors out because you would be running all the deer out everynight. Its not always the grass is greener, some guys flat out no how to hunt, where to hunt and when to hunt. Sounds like alot of greed and jealousy to me.

Come on, Really!

As long as you aren't shooting or cutting lanes to the other side of the fence you aren't doing anything wrong. Deer like to travel fence lines so they are a popular place to sit. I don't get bent out of shape by it unless I see something fishy going on.

The fact is if we didn't have such a large number of tresspasser's and poachers in the hunting community this wouldn't even be a topic to discuss. However we all know that simply is not the case. I don't think anyone is promoting not trying to handle it in a friendly way first but pending how the reaction is will dictate everything. I've had a number of deer poached off my ground over the last 4-5 years as I'm sure most every landowner on here has. Once that has happened its hard not to be very skeptical of property line hunters.

yeah, I think this thread has gotten way off the original topic. It started with someone asking how to mess with a guy that hunts his fenceline and then we find out that he is doing a whole mess of illegal things to that guy (not on his property). And now it's turned into what rights the actual landowner has on his own ground.... :confused:

I think we all know that hunting fencelines can be productive and is usually acceptable if there is a understanding between land owners. And I think that generally just putting up posted signs is enough of a deterrent for most guys. If you want to take it further and put up a fence, that is your prerogative and in some cases may be necessary to get the point across. We don't all know each others situations and what extent some cherry pickers will go to for a deer. Some people are pretty ignorant when it comes to respecting property lines.

This is definitely an argument that I can see both sides of. On one hand if you bought land and worked hard to realize that dream, why would you want someone messing with your land. That brings up the question of "how much is too much"? I know a lot of landowners that have no problems with the neighbors and have a great relationship, but I also have heard and seen plenty of horror stories about unruly neighbors that may not share the same view. Hell just last weekend on my girlfriends dads property(which is clearly posted) a guy pulled into the drive and starting shooting at deer in the field, and than walked right passed the posted signs to go after them. Luckily there is a guy that lives on that farm and he quickly took care of the situation. Point is, I'm not sure why ya'll are arguing, when it is pretty easy to understand both sides of the argument. If you own a house or land, you don't want people messing with it period. On the same hand it can be fun for all involved if there is a understanding between neighbors and if people will respect each landowners right to privacy.

And yes, IMO there is a big difference between a guy hanging a stand near the property line, and 6 guys lining the edges of private ground during gun season. Especially if the ground they are on has no cover or deer on it. Seems like when it comes to deer hunting, you here a lot of guys bitching about the guys that are trying to manage a piece of land for deer or working hard to improve the habitat, but when season rolls around those same guys are awful quick to want a piece of that pie. I guess that is why you always hear that before you buy a piece of ground, go meet the neighbors ;)

Seems to me there must be a fine line here. If a guy is sitting on your fence line and trimming trees on your side.....well then I may have a problem too. but a guy just trying to hunt, perhaps on a fence line, come on. Ive had plenty of stands on bordering propertys for different reasons. Ive had others sit on my fence lines. Are you going to tell me Im suppose to stay back from my fence a certain distance to hunt. Are you going to stay back that same distance on your side? Maby the guys that are getting ulcers over it should buy the neiboring land. Dwilk, Ive been in your shoes, almost everything you described, because the neibors were worried about me killing "their" big bucks. In the end all their antics just screwed it up for all of us. What was once a great section to hunt is now full of nocturnal deer.
Some of you guys that say its unsportsman like to hunt bordering property lines must not have a clue how to hunt. What about the guy that has a 40 to hunt. It may be the best 40 in the section, but how many guys are going to walk in to the middle of their 40 everyday, away from bordering propertys to hunt. Ya it would help the neibors out because you would be running all the deer out everynight. Its not always the grass is greener, some guys flat out no how to hunt, where to hunt and when to hunt. Sounds like alot of greed and jealousy to me.

Come on, Really!
Says it all to me. :way:

If you have a stand ......a foot from the fence, or 100 yrd.s from the fence! If you shoot the animal on YOUR side! What does it matter!? I hunt a farm of a bud that is pretty light on deer! His neighbor owns a ass load of prime riverbottom land! Is a Lawyer in Chicago and manages it for duck hunting! The bucks/deer are in there!:D I know it, have a stand 20 yrd.s from the fence! It's a pretty amazing place he has! I also have a stand 200 yrd.s from his fence line!! I know where the deer are coming from! Same deer I'd see if I was sitting on his fence!!! I just shoot them a little later! 20 or 200??? Amazing what a doe decoy will make hop the fence!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:way: When it comes across the fence....THEY ARE MY DEER!!!!!!!!:drink2:

If you have a stand ......a foot from the fence, or 100 yrd.s from the fence! If you shoot the animal on YOUR side! What does it matter!? I hunt a farm of a bud that is pretty light on deer! His neighbor owns a ass load of prime riverbottom land! Is a Lawyer in Chicago and manages it for duck hunting! The bucks/deer are in there!:D I know it, have a stand 20 yrd.s from the fence! It's a pretty amazing place he has! I also have a stand 200 yrd.s from his fence line!! I know where the deer are coming from! Same deer I'd see if I was sitting on his fence!!! I just shoot them a little later! 20 or 200??? Amazing what a doe decoy will make hop the fence!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:way: When it comes across the fence....THEY ARE MY DEER!!!!!!!!:drink2:

Nobody's saying they aren't. People are mainly trying to stop those from shooting accross the fence which I think some hunters have a problem stopping themselves from doing.

I do see the spectrum on this, I do see both sides. Again, if I used to hunt by ground I know didn't have neighbors that hunted or bowhunted or didn't care, I'd hunt by fence. If I knew they were hard-core bowhunters, I avoided out of courtesy BUT that's me.

Now, the OTHER SIDE OF THE SPECTRUM.... The guy that makes a piece of land into a management paradise, puts years of work in and now has giant deer.... I know for a fact those properties ATTRACT guys to hunt near it and hunt on fences and hunt on poor tracts next to it that otherwise wouldn't be hunted. I see it all the time. Guys hear that Jim Bob has giants so they find a piece of pasture bordering and put 2-3 stands on Jim Bob's fence. Personally, in my opinion, I think that's crap.

One piece I owned about 6 years ago.... guys brought 3 kids out to hunt a wide open field in September right on my fence line, lined em up... I was just chatting with them and I quote "ya, we heard you had giants here & manage so we asked XYZ to hunt their land during youth season". "We own hunting land 4 miles from here BUT we figured we'd bring them here since we don't care what they shoot since it isn't ours and we aren't managing it".

I didn't say much. I didn't do much. BUT- did it tick me off? YEP. Givers and takers in hunting in a lot of cases and these guys were on the extreme of just taking advantage of someone else's hard work, even when they had their own land nearby. That's the OTHER side of the spectrum. And yes, there's 2 sides, totally get it and the other side doesn't bother me so much. The action I almost took was to go next to their land and try and get permission from their neighbors and blast the heck along their fences.

I see both sides here.

Fence sitters

I do see the spectrum on this, I do see both sides. Again, if I used to hunt by ground I know didn't have neighbors that hunted or bowhunted or didn't care, I'd hunt by fence. If I knew they were hard-core bowhunters, I avoided out of courtesy BUT that's me.

One piece I owned about 6 years ago.... guys brought 3 kids out to hunt a wide open field in September right on my fence line, lined em up... I was just chatting with them and I quote "ya, we heard you had giants here & manage so we asked XYZ to hunt their land during youth season". "We own hunting land 4 miles from here BUT we figured we'd bring them here since we don't care what they shoot since it isn't ours and we aren't managing it".

I didn't say much. I didn't do much. BUT- did it tick me off? YEP. Givers and takers in hunting in a lot of cases and these guys were on the extreme of just taking advantage of someone else's hard work, even when they had their own land nearby. That's the OTHER side of the spectrum. And yes, there's 2 sides, totally get it and the other side doesn't bother me so much. The action I almost took was to go next to their land and try and get permission from their neighbors and blast the heck along their fences.

I see both sides here.

Yeah, Skip it does happen, hunting and fishing. I had a guy put his fish house so close to mine one year that I could barely open the door to get in. He had heard we were catching walleyes and plopped his house within a few feet of mine??

I guess that was my point earlier, most fence sitters (the ones with the stands right on the line and facing the property that they cannot or are not supposed to shoot into to, have a motive to do it) The motive is: Large whitetail deer with Large RACK

I've avoided really getting into this conversation because I am personally connected to the guy who started the topic, and I don't think anything can really get accomplished by bickering online, but I do want to illustrate another side of things that few have failed to mention above.

Like some folks have mentioned, there are some insane people who literally line the fences of good farms. I agree; that is pretty trashy and I've experienced it plenty of times. BUT, what if both sides of the fence are quality parcels? What if the fenceline is a FANTASTIC travel corridor? What if it infeasible for YOU to hunt YOUR own fenceline?

In the case of the property I have been having issues with: I used to hunt both sides of the fence. My stands were in the fence before anyone else hunted either property. When the neighbors decided they were going to hunt it and pushed me out (which is fine, it is their ground), I kept a couple stands up because the only feasible access route into them was through the property I still have permission on. From an access standpoint, it is really stupid to hunt this fenceline coming through their farm. They disturb a TON of bedding areas in doing so, and have to cross the full extent of their 440 acres to get there. It just doesn't make sense, which is why I attained permission from the neighbors in the first place.... I wanted a better access route into some of my stands.

Now, if they would have politely approached me about hunting the fenceline from the beginning, I would have been more than willing to discuss it and possibly work out an arrangement. However; in this instance, they decided to go down the other path of illegal activity and made it a personal goal of theirs to ruin my hunting experience... not to mention theft (about $500 worth) and trespassing. Over the years, I've seen the quality of hunting on this farm drastically decline due to their inability to accept that I am hunting next door. It is sad really, because if they weren't so caught up in the 200 acres they can't hunt next door, then they could have one of the best 440 acre farms in the state.

So anyways, I just wanted to make a point out of saying that there are ALWAYS unforseen circumstances in any situation you hear about. In this case, it is immature, entitled, and spoiled kids with no respect for private property rights.

A quality farm with quality habitat doesn't necessarily mean there are quality hunters or respectful people that own it.

DWilk, why haven't you taken legal action? Hunter harassment is a misdemeanor and I'm not sure but last time I checked theft wouldn't be taken lightly either. Trespassing fines are a joke, but it sounds like you would have a pretty good case? If this dip$hit really has done the things that you have said, then it is beyond reason at this point and something needs to be done. There is no reason why you should have to give up your spot if you truly have been there that long and have permission to be where you are.

@justhunt....... if these things are true and you really are acting like that, I would suggest you just give him his stuff back and grow up. You own 440 acres, I'm sure if you weren't out there running around all of the time, you would probably have enough big bucks for everyone. :thrwrck: If you keep it up and get caught the only thing that will be "balls deep" is your cell mate!

This is somewhat why I didn't want to get into it online. Legal action is super tough on things like this. The sheriffs department knows about the thefts as I've reported them; however, it is difficult to investigate or prosecute without extremely hard evidence. To be honest, the only thing I have personally witnessed is the fact that they drive by in the truck yelling at me.

The thefts are pretty obvious... such as stealing a stand and hanging a stand 5 yards from it on the other side of the fence.... and stealing a trail camera and hanging a trail camera directly across from it on the other side of the fence..... Not to mention, the soap and dryer sheets and limbs felled on fence crossings.... A random thief doesn't take all that time to pester a hunter.

Justhunt doesn't own the land. He hunts it with his 'partner' that is the landowner. I am not one to accuse someone of something without proof because I don't think people's names need slandered without being prosecuted. For all I know it was a team effort (not that it changes anything), and I'm not stupid... when you go bragging about stealing my trail camera to your buddies, you don't think I'm going to hear about it?? Its arrogant people that think they are above the law.

I don't own the land they are trespassing/stealing my things off of, but I do have sole permission. The gates are locked and the only way in is through theirs. I followed 4-wheeler tracks through their gate into the bean field they stole the camera off of... DUH!. The landowner doesn't want involved in these childish activities and I don't blame him.

Justhunt, you haven't been arrested on these crimes (yet), so I'm not going to say it was you specifically, but I will say this to you -

1. How is it that my things continually get stolen, and your stands and cameras are untouched? Hm... who knew thieves were so considerate of your belongings.

2. If you have a problem... man up and talk to me about it.

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

I think it's pretty funny that we haven't heard from him since his first post? Maybe he wasn't expecting to get called out but I think even more important it speaks to his true character!

I caught my first thief this last year after a couple years of having cams/stands taken. The jackwagon stole my buddies camera and then had his pic taken on the internal memory of one of mine, after stealing my SD card out of it! I was more excited about the three pics I got of him over any deer so far!!!

DWILK~Hopefully you will have the same luck one day and justice/karma will prevail, good luck!

"my fence line" . Fencelines are shared. As long as your shooting on your side of the fence I don't see any problem with it. The plowed up fields fed the deer for 6 months.

I don't have much insight really. I have been reading this one sice the beginning. Threads like this simply reinforce how lucky I am to live and hunt where I do b/c neighboring landowners are usually friends who access each other's property and follow this rule "Oh...you're here .....I'll go somewhere else, good luck". I feel for you dwilk,.. I am 100% certain that I would not enjoy this hobby nearly as much if I had to endure the circumstances you have.

Dwilk is correct in saying it is very hard to get anything done in these situations as I was in the almost the exact same situation as him a few years ago. The best I could get to happen was the CO to go talk to the neighbors for me, letting them know it was illegal to herass a hunter. I even had video proof of them day after day walking the fenceline "on the very back side of their 320 acre section" ringing cowbells of all things. These guys took it to such a limit I thought I was dealing with Peta, in turned out I was dealing with a different retarded group of guys that were actually hunters.
After two years of dealing with it, I finally gave in and let in a sense let them Win. because I know longer hunt the land. But man is nice to go sit in a stand now and no im not going to see some jack wagon come walking up the fence line banging pots and pans together.

Justhunt87 said:
On one of our farms they put there stands right on the fence line facing right onto our farm. I was thinking of a way to make them have to move what If I put a salt block right over the fence on our side then that person would be hunting over a salt block. Any ideas on this?

Hang your socks on the bush on your property I recamen a dark colors so they cannot see it.start saving your work socks in a zip lock Baggie and go by and drape it over the bush deer will smell it

Top Bottom