Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

perfect storm - nr landowner lawsuits

Main reason we bought Iowa land was family that has lived there for 30 plus years an investment for our kids and my interest in wildlife and the out doors. What I like is there but my job and livelyhood has been here.

like2, I think folks are playing verbal judo with the word "preference". For example, in my home state NR landowners are not given preference in any way. They simply are treated as any other landowner, R or NR, meaning they can hunt their property every year after buying a NR tag which costs I believe $110.

like2, I think folks are playing verbal judo with the word "preference". For example, in my home state NR landowners are not given preference in any way. They simply are treated as any other landowner, R or NR, meaning they can hunt their property every year after buying a NR tag which costs I believe $110.

What is their likelyhood of seeing or shooting a 180" buck? What is the likelyhood that someone from out of state would want to buy land there for the trophy buck potential?

huntemup, every acre of hunting land in Pennsylvania is privately owned by R's or NR's. You have a better chance of getting on private land to hunt in Iowa than you do PA. It's not always about the "trophy buck", it's about having a place to call your own to share with family and friends.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
huntemup, every acre of hunting land in Pennsylvania is privately owned by R's or NR's. You have a better chance of getting on private land to hunt in Iowa than you do PA.
That's funny because i've been to the Pennsylvania Natural Resources site, and it plainly states hunters have over 1.4 million acres in game lands. And over 2 million acres of state forest.

Also what's the deal with no hunting on Sundays in Pennsylvania? Is that some kind of Baptist thing? Do you expect Iowa to adopt this regulation because Pennsylvania chooses to put this in their regulations?

CC...I don't understand the thought process that you can improve access for Iowa hunters by not allowing NRLO's access to their own land?

That hasn't proven to be a succesfaul game plan the last 10 years and quite honestly won't be a great game plan for the furture if that is all you have to go with. There are to many dynamics (economic/social) not to say it disses the constituion as well to make this plan succesful.

Doesn't anyone have a better idea...certainly with all the great minds in the IBA, someone has got to have a better idea than this?

CC...I don't understand the thought process that you can improve access for Iowa hunters by not allowing NRLO's access to their own land?

That hasn't proven to be a succesfaul game plan the last 10 years and quite honestly won't be a great game plan for the furture if that is all you have to go with. There are to many dynamics (economic/social) not to say it disses the constituion as well to make this plan succesful.

Doesn't anyone have a better idea...certainly with all the great minds in the IBA, someone has got to have a better idea than this?
In what way are nonresidents not allowed access to their own land for crying out load! You can hunt your land every year! I don't think anyone is looking to improve access for Iowa hunters through nonresidents. I believe many of us want the Iowa hunting regulations to stay as they are, and believe someone who doesn't vote or live in this state should have a say in how it's run! What economics? The almighty nr dollars? I'm tired of hearing that one, and it would seem the only people who care about that are the nonresidents. I have to admitt the disses the constitution just makes me laugh. What passage is that?

any time land sells reguardless who buys it there is a chance access could change. You would think this is the time to groom a new relationship with the new owner rather than making hjm feel like he has to defend his reasons for purchasing property.It really is not anyones business anyway.I am fortunate to have a good neighbor in Iowa that hunts my land whether I draw a tag or not.

Owning wildlife

It is not discrimination when you don't get preference for being a NR landowner over any other NR (who doesn't own land) that wants to hunt Iowa. The wildlife is owned by the State of Iowa not those that own the land. (So by being owned by the State of Iowa means that the RESIDENTS OF IOWA own the wildlife not the landowners-NOT sure why you guys can't figure this out!!!!!!!)

Residents of Iowa own the wildlife? So does that mean if you come to Minnesota to fish you are taking fish that we Minnesotans own, or if you shoot a bear in Minnesota, you are taking it from the residents of Minnesota? I never realized I owned any wildlife or fish? Cool.

At the present rate of 6000 nr tags issued per year it would take 50 years to equal the 300000 resident tags issued this past year.That doesnt appear to be too damaging to herd numbers.

In PA we have over 1 million hunters in the woods the first day of rifle season. It is common knowledge here that hunting on state game lands is not a quality hunt and can be dangerous. To have a good hunting experience you must own land or know someone who does. Only the desperate venture onto state game lands.

Last edited:
At the present rate of 6000 nr tags issued per year it would take 50 years to equal the 300000 resident tags issued this past year.That doesnt appear to be too damaging to herd numbers.

Like2hunt,

Have you been reading the other forums on IW?

I bet you could ask others on here if all the extra tags
have damaged the herd or not.

Other than your short term benefit do you look at the overall picture
of bringing in twice as many NR as we do now.

Thank you.

Risto, I guess what I was trying to illustrate was how small a number 6000 is compared to the big picture. Out of those 6000 I dont know the success rate or the success of the resident tags but I sure its not 100 percent for either.My point has always been I dont know how many tags should be made available that needs to be established by people that really know but what ever that number is the nrlo should have the first opportunity to purchase these tags.How many nrlo's actually apply for tags anyway?No one seems to be able to come up with this number which is very important when talking about the impact the nrlo has or doesnt have.

Risto, I guess what I was trying to illustrate was how small a number 6000 is compared to the big picture. Out of those 6000 I dont know the success rate or the success of the resident tags but I sure its not 100 percent for either.My point has always been I dont know how many tags should be made available that needs to be established by people that really know but what ever that number is the nrlo should have the first opportunity to purchase these tags.How many nrlo's actually apply for tags anyway?No one seems to be able to come up with this number which is very important when talking about the impact the nrlo has or doesnt have.

Thats exactly 6000 more NR tags than there used to be. I can remember not so long ago when NR were not allowed to hunt Iowa. Things were much more simple then. Just Sayin

I know nr have been hunting there for at least 10 years and had the draw how it was administered prior to that I dont know

I know nr have been hunting there for at least 10 years and had the draw how it was administered prior to that I dont know
They have had the draw system since they instated NR hunting, I personally believe they should have an open draw for the governor tags from the people who did not draw in the general draw. I believe it is a crock that if your famous and have money and say hunting in Iowa is cool they sell you a tag every year if you want one.

I agree. Bo Jackson was successful 2 years in a row.There was an article the first year in Iowa Outdoors.It was ironic that he hunts with one of the guys from the DNR.

Top Bottom