Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Personal Day" Buck

NWBuck

PMA Member
I'm behind on getting some harvest stories posted, so have a little time this morning to get caught up. I was thinking of just blowing it off and not posting them, but since I enjoy reading everyone else's stories, I suppose I should contribute when I can as well. This will be by far the most vanilla of the 3, but I'm taking them in chronological order.

On Friday November 4th I used one of the 3 personal days per year from my teaching job to spend the day in the woods. My son Hunter and nephew Matthew played hooky for a day from their senior years with me. We had a "scrape cam" on one of the small farms we lease, and it had been putting out pictures of a few nice bucks.

BIG 8
EK000124.jpg

G2 BUCK
EK000071.jpg

The big 8 was showing up on the scrape virtually every day, with the G2 buck not as often. Both were night owls though, but we were hopeful that it was getting close to the time when they might make a daylight mistake.

I gave Hunter first choice to hunt the best stand on that farm, but he chose to sit on another farm. As I dropped him off to get the ranger and head to his stand, I told him I was going to shoot any of the 3 good ones we had on cam if I had the chance. By 9:30 I'd had a pretty active morning, but had only seen does, fawns and small bucks. Just short of 10 am I heard the crunching of leaves coming up the hill toward me, and the big 8 popped into an opening only 20 yards away. I knew right away which deer he was, and tried to get positioned for a shot. We had a short stare down, but he chilled out and turned to walk down hill to my right...stopping with his head behind a tree but vitals exposed in a small opening between a fork in the tree. I touched the release, and saw the hit looked good left and right, but a bit low. We gave him some time, but came back a couple hours later to follow a solid blood trail to the buck piled up less than 100 yards from where I'd shot him.
BuckPic.jpg

Not a giant, but I was more than happy with him. Going to use an arrowhead plaque that Hunter made for me in shop class to do a euro mount with him. In 30 years of teaching, it's funny to think about how many deer, turkeys, pheasants, bear, etc. I've taken while hunting on a "personal day" :) Good luck to everyone still out there!

NWBuck

Last edited:
Even tho we just talked about our deer hunts, I still enjoy reading the story. Super nice buck, congrats & hope for many more hunts for you.

Please don't stop sharing your stories,and a big congrats to you and your family and a great season

Nice buck, congratulations! And don't you dare not put your harvest stories up, you hear? :D
Thanks for the encouragement Daver. The stories and pics I recall seeing of you and your boys on your farm are among the most fond memories I have of this site. Hope all is well with you and your family...

Thanks for the encouragement Daver. The stories and pics I recall seeing of you and your boys on your farm are among the most fond memories I have of this site. Hope all is well with you and your family...

Thank you, the feeling is mutual! All is well, but we haven't been killing much. My oldest son is married now and while we still do things together as a family often, he isn't able to get away to hunt with dad nearly as much as in the past. My youngest son, now a senior in college, is still gung ho in the hunting dept...but is very selective for a young hunter and normally passes 10-20 shots per year at bucks that many would not. That being said...he hit one last weekend that we could not recover...and he is still feeling pretty low following that.

We are still puzzled about what happened. He thought he had a definite double lung, maybe heart, shot on a buck and we even played it safe and left him overnight and short version...we jumped him about 14-15 hours after he was hit. He bedded down about 100 yards from where he was hit and stayed there overnight...but still had enough steam left to trot away from us the next morning. Harrumph! We spent the better part of the day following a skimpy blood trail and were never able to find him. We just finished looking at some maps together and he is going to go "dead bird" hunting this weekend to find him yet. Apart from that...things are good. Congratulations to you on all of your success this year.

I, like you, enjoy all of the success stories, but in particular I like the kids/family angle ones the best and yours certainly fit that bill. I think I told 3 or 4 people at work today about your dad sniping another one out of a trailer in his yard...love it! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Top Bottom