Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pheasant rebound…

Thanks, nice weather is definitely helping them. If you go by the old wives’ tale of precipitation 90 days after fog. It’s not looking good for nesting season. But for now they are appreciating the corn and scratch grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What were the numbers like a few years ago?

Very similar to quail- unless chicks are raised in the wild, by a wild hen that can teach them survival instincts then they are doomed from above by raptors and at eye level by fox, bobcats, coyotes, etc. Habitat is #1, predator control is #2. Weather (especially spring nesting season) can also make or break ground nesting bird pops but we can't control that.
I am not an expert on stocking quail and pheasants, but the limited insights I do have would be that it is not very successful...I think for the reasons mentioned above.

Quite a few years ago, when I did a lot more pheasant hunting, I reported to the landowner that we flushed some quail while chasing the wily roosters. He was excited to hear that and began questioning us as to how many, where were they, etc. His very enthusiastic response dropped flat when I told him that we saw 6-8 of them.

He then went on to tell us that he had stocked around 100 of them and was very discouraged to hear that so few had apparently survived. And I don't recall seeing any of them in subsequent years, although they may have moved off the farm too, who knows. But his stocking efforts appeared to have little to no impact.

What were the numbers like a few years ago?

Numbers in our area have really gone up for 3 years in a row now. Before that we still had birds but not like the last few years. Unfortunately more birds = more hunters so sometimes you see less birds hunting now but you definitely can tell the difference on the areas not hunted.

That's awesome, wish I could get some on our farm in MO. Wonder if stocking works to get a wild pop started? Studies seem to show it does not with quail.

My buddy raises quail and pheasants for a living. He says survival rate is minimal for pen raised birds. He said if there’s other wild birds in the area when you release them that there is a higher chance of survival as they learn from the other birds on when to flush for predators. He has really jumpy birds too compared to some of the other bird farms I’ve been on.

My dad has stocked pheasants in several areas of northern iowa in the last 25 years. He puts them in areas w/ good cover and assumes many will die. If a few live & predators eat the released birds vs any wild birds, in a few years of repeated releases and decent weather there is a huntable population of birds, eventually lots of birds. He releases birds June through August every year, sorta his hobby. He loves seeing birds back in areas where they used to flourish when he was younger and hunted all over.

He has never had success with quail. He keeps trying though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever successfully stocked and established a population of pheasants on a farm?

My buddy raises pheasants he says your survival rate is dang near zero when releasing pheasants. He said if there is already wild birds there they might survive better but establishing them is tough with raised birds.

My buddy raises pheasants he says your survival rate is dang near zero when releasing pheasants. He said if there is already wild birds there they might survive better but establishing them is tough with raised birds.

Best thing I’ve done- is I’ve let my broody hens (chickens) hatch pheasant eggs and left them be outside. Mom teaches the things we can’t teach in a pen- far better survival rates in my experience.

2 sides to everything. One concern I’ve heard releasing birds…. U guys correct me if I’m wrong…….
I was told by a few bird lunatics… the only way u want to release birds is if u get wild stock or the original Manchurian stock. Something along the lines of “the approved genetics are not the craftiest birds. They don’t have the survival instincts even if raise them right. When u mix those with wild birds- u are dumbing down the genetics”. Something like that. They told me about how when the wild strain first got here in Oregon I think- it was super wild & could survive easily. Flourished. Now the genetics get watered down. If u could go back to Asia and get that original wild strain - would help.
One guy had a pure Manchurian (I think that’s what it was???). Said one place sells 50% Manchurians as they are more wild & survive better. He said more folks have 100% Manchurians than the one that sells 50% claim. Who knows.
Kinda makes sense. Maybe I’m way off. I’m a rough 3rd party “telephone” for explaining what some folks told me. Makes me lil nervous releasing birds that can’t survive & could inter-breed with “natural” survivors that currently reside now (wild birds).
Now- leaving it alone…. The wild birds on my place…. In DEER area …. I am LOADED with pheasants. The premium cover has always been there. Birds been “extinct” until 4-5 years ago. Only change… a bit of effort & the Nest raiders are now extinct. Nothing changes except death of nest raiders & a guy would think they went back in Time Machine 30-50 years ago. Tons of them!!!!

Absolutely crazy what: 1) 4-5 hours added up a year + 2) 10-20 dog proof traps set on a light setting with corn cob barley in the hole to keep mice out + cat food, PB, fish oil, maple syrup, corn, marshmallows or whatever mix u wanna make…. 3) at gate entrances & easy places to check.
Takes a tiny amount of time & =‘s lots of dead nest raiders!!!! Like EXTINCT with some consistent effort when a guy is at farm here or there.

2 sides to everything. One concern I’ve heard releasing birds…. U guys correct me if I’m wrong…….
I was told by a few bird lunatics… the only way u want to release birds is if u get wild stock or the original Manchurian stock. Something along the lines of “the approved genetics are not the craftiest birds. They don’t have the survival instincts even if raise them right. When u mix those with wild birds- u are dumbing down the genetics”. Something like that. They told me about how when the wild strain first got here in Oregon I think- it was super wild & could survive easily. Flourished. Now the genetics get watered down. If u could go back to Asia and get that original wild strain - would help.
One guy had a pure Manchurian (I think that’s what it was???). Said one place sells 50% Manchurians as they are more wild & survive better. He said more folks have 100% Manchurians than the one that sells 50% claim. Who knows.
Kinda makes sense. Maybe I’m way off. I’m a rough 3rd party “telephone” for explaining what some folks told me. Makes me lil nervous releasing birds that can’t survive & could inter-breed with “natural” survivors that currently reside now (wild birds).
Now- leaving it alone…. The wild birds on my place…. In DEER area …. I am LOADED with pheasants. The premium cover has always been there. Birds been “extinct” until 4-5 years ago. Only change… a bit of effort & the Nest raiders are now extinct. Nothing changes except death of nest raiders & a guy would think they went back in Time Machine 30-50 years ago. Tons of them!!!!

Absolutely crazy what: 1) 4-5 hours added up a year + 2) 10-20 dog proof traps set on a light setting with corn cob barley in the hole to keep mice out + cat food, PB, fish oil, maple syrup, corn, marshmallows or whatever mix u wanna make…. 3) at gate entrances & easy places to check.
Takes a tiny amount of time & =‘s lots of dead nest raiders!!!! Like EXTINCT with some consistent effort when a guy is at farm here or there.
I know a guy who raised a lot of quail he said releasing a the correct age is the key to success.

I've done some calling around to various farms/breeders the last few days & learned some things. If the goal is to establish a wild population your best two proven choices are "spent hens" or old chicks/teenagers that have been hardened outside. Some places do this. Basically net in multiple acres and let the birds learn to live outside for several months. Release time into the wild is July/Aug. Full grown cage raised hens and roosters are a waste of time and will surely all die. Apparently success with the right younger aged ones is pretty decent.

Supposedly you want to stock around 1 hen per acre for 3-5 years in a row, rather than stocking a huge amount just once. If the goal is to establish, hens are all you want. All of them said if you have timber edges of your field you want them in, success drops. Hawks and owl are the biggest killers. There were a couple breeders that claim to have established them time and time again this way with birds still established decades later.

I have 40ac of gorgeous 3yo native grasses and pollinators and not a single pheasant, might try it!

H
I've done some calling around to various farms/breeders the last few days & learned some things. If the goal is to establish a wild population your best two proven choices are "spent hens" or old chicks/teenagers that have been hardened outside. Some places do this. Basically net in multiple acres and let the birds learn to live outside for several months. Release time into the wild is July/Aug. Full grown cage raised hens and roosters are a waste of time and will surely all die. Apparently success with the right younger aged ones is pretty decent.

Supposedly you want to stock around 1 hen per acre for 3-5 years in a row, rather than stocking a huge amount just once. If the goal is to establish, hens are all you want. All of them said if you have timber edges of your field you want them in, success drops. Hawks and owl are the biggest killers. There were a couple breeders that claim to have established them time and time again this way with birds still established decades later.

I have 40ac of gorgeous 3yo native grasses and pollinators and not a single pheasant, might try it!
check out kesters wildlife foods online for wild bird food & cover maybe people are missing something the birds & wildlfe need Kesters have a lot of good products.

Start a separate thread if you do this. I'd love to follow along! As would many others I'm sure.

Top Bottom