Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pheasants 2022

I miss the pheasant hunting in PA, few and far between. The only place to hunt is state game lands where the stock them. Those areas are overrun with hunters and on top of that we now have to purchase a pheasant stamp for $25 dollars if we want to hunt them, screw that.....

Hunted a piece yesterday for opener that we usually have really good luck on and I didn’t pull the trigger. Woke up this morning and said we can’t do much worse so let’s go hunt the piece I have where the corn is still in. To our surprise the corn was out when we pulled in. Was a nice fun hunt, you know it’s gonna be good when the roosters are sitting tighter than the hens to start. Dogs are sore today. They’ll have a nice rest til next weekend.

1af847a1511b6000e0ea2fb0a3bada5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There may be a day when we hunt those endangered species around my farm. After we killed HUNDREDS of coons for multiple years now- flushed about 15 or so hens & 3-4 roosters when I was combining a 40 acre corn field. Curtis- you living the dream!!! That’s so fun!!!

Tubbs and I went on a small hunt last Sunday. First few spots I wanted to go had vehicles so I hit a small area near home I figured it’d be a one or no bird kind of walk but it’s better than being home. As you can see in the bottom photo it was tough walking but we managed to flush one bird and come home with one bird. I’m getting ready to take him and my dad out this morning, it’s been awhile since my dads killed a pheasant so hopefully I can get him one.

3cb1a8f0fe8245aabb3ff0a62ca709a6.jpg

c2f77ba7af567e851d974e37ffe80416.jpg

Miss kicking up 15 to 30 birds at a time need a bounty on coons and hawks. Funny ,like the no target shooting sign blown to hell lol bad neighborhood.

Miss kicking up 15 to 30 birds at a time need a bounty on coons and hawks. Funny ,like the no target shooting sign blown to hell lol bad neighborhood.

Most the properties I walk we flush over 30 birds. Just the public pieces that get hammered 4-5 times a day every day is where we lack the birds

Went out Sunday with a friend and his dad and we scratched 2. This warm nice weather can leave soon as we fought running birds and way too early flushers like 100+ yards and flushing. Had a great time with them and was nice to get our dogs together to hunt.
fa4b6dd56f780cc28b694a5dabd7b8a2.jpg

On Monday Matt called and asked if Tubbs and I wanted to join him and his buddy to walk some pieces and I had taken Monday and Tuesday off as they were the only two days not covered by Holidays so I took him up on the offer. We walked a giant piece, biggest piece that Tubbs and even I have ever hunted. We had the same running and early flushing struggles as we did the day before but I managed to shoot my limit and those were the only three we shot. Tubbs is really turning into a good pheasant dog. He retrieved a bird we would have never of caught up to if it wasn’t for him. He even flushed it which made it way cooler to me because I watched him work that bird. Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos that day as I forgot.

Today I had to leave Tubbs at home as my mom called me this morning and said he was worn out and didn’t get up when she did which isn’t like him. We had another big hunt with Matt and a few other coworkers of ours and I didn’t want to push ole Tubbs too hard so we hunted 4 dogs instead of 5. This was the first time I have ever hunted over pointers and it was pretty cool watching them lock up and being able to walk up and flush the birds. It was a great time and we found a few birds.
318c9f7050580a4a0641e96ec8b0ed3a.jpg

It was a fun day with almost too nice of weather. With a little better shooting we may have been able to get our limit. But to get almost 2 birds apiece in warm weather was still pretty good. And the best part is we still have other places to go another day!

I was a hard core pheasant hunter from 1975 until 1995. When I say hard core, in the fall of 1983, while a freshman in college, I met another student from Chicago. He was a duck hunter, I went duck hunting with him, then took him pheasant hunting. He was hooked. We hunted EVERY day, all day that fall. He had to cancel enrollment finals week to keep F’s off his transcript. I survived barely.

Raised and trained GSP’s for a few years starting in 1991. Then CRP started to end, access went from “go ahead” to “hunting right’s leased”. Writing on the wall to buy my own ground.

Congrats on the birds! Obviously brings back fond memories for me.

Got Tubbs and his buds out today. Probably shoulda killed the final for a two man but I somehow couldn’t my safety off on two birds so they got free passes. Plenty of birds just too nice and early flushers.
e016b03dbcd7d6e89c2fba1851ca1a6a.jpg

Wow sure miss hunting souther Iowa’s hay days of birds everywhere.Shorthair pointers and a Remington 12 wingmaster! Could walk for miles on end.Now it’s raccoons everywhere and hawks.

Wow sure miss hunting souther Iowa’s hay days of birds everywhere.Shorthair pointers and a Remington 12 wingmaster! Could walk for miles on end.Now it’s raccoons everywhere and hawks.

Coons every where up here too. Iowa has had 3 great nesting springs though. Bird numbers are up everywhere across the state.

Is there anyone still hunting pheasant up and around nw ia.. id love to get out knocking birds with some people.

• Deleted by Bbouch84
  • Reason: Misspelling
Show…
Curtis....loving the new look.....guessing you are an artist or something like that with all your visual statements. Is this your Jewish version?

Top Bottom